Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 47,999 times

Advertisements

Please, I need advice. I am moving to south alabama this fall,precisely, university of south alabama . I do not know much about this city. I am unsure of where to stay, and if to rent an apartment outside the campus or live on campus. Also are the people there nice, what is enviroment like, I am really curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
the university is well known for it's academic and medical achievements. It's a most excellent choice. Unfortunate that it's located in Mobile. I don't know anything about dorm life so can't recommend that or not. There are several apartments near the campus. Some good, some not so much. Do NOT rent campus housing or any house in the Hillsdale area,which is directly located behind the college. One of my friend's son was murdered there and the area is awful-obviously! It is a real shame the campus is so nearby so many seedy areas. The majority of people in Mobile are pretty nice; southern hospitality,yadda yadda yadda. The city as a whole offers not much in the way of "things to do". Unless you like to drink,fish or hunt. The temps pretty much year round are like the tropics-good if that appeals to you. I hated it. I've recently left the state and good riddance to it. You will get a good education there. Just keep your eyes out for the future and leave the area as soon as you finish school. There is no future in sticking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arams View Post
Please, I need advice. I am moving to south alabama this fall,precisely, university of south alabama . I do not know much about this city. I am unsure of where to stay, and if to rent an apartment outside the campus or live on campus. Also are the people there nice, what is enviroment like, I am really curious.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM

85 posts, read 524,545 times
Provide a little more info on your situation.
Student? Teacher? Family? Afford? etc.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 47,999 times
Default relocation to alabama

Student and single

Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 PM

346 posts, read 1,779,064 times
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

On a serious note. Have you followed the news about Mobile, the steel mill, the aviation contract? Several new banks just took hold there. It is a growing town. I cannot ell you much about housing as I do not know your budget, schedule, anything. Give me some detail. I have a former coworker who is from Mobile and still visits there every weekend to see his family. Will gladly pick his brains for you.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 AM

85 posts, read 524,545 times
Why S.Alabama?Scholarship?For undergraduate it's a very impersonal and difficult.I've attended USA,Troy Auburn and U of A and USA is by far the crappiest University...no social life at all.Scholarships are(were) easy to get .Lennox gates is a good apt complex...safe and gated.I'd pay to go to another school even if USA were free.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 97,944 times
I have not heard good things about Mobile. It is very dangerous and run down. In fact, I would rank as the worst city in Alabama. My aunt lived there for 2 years and she said there was some exit you don't get off of or you'll get shot. Now that's an exaggeration, but maybe not too much of one. Are you going there for med school? As far as entertainment there isn't anything except for "Mardi Gras," which is 65 year old women attending parades and getting beads. Have you heard the leprechaun story?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 32,327 times
I just spent a month in Mobile and enjoyed it very much. There is something going on constantly. Biloxi is about 50 miles away and New Orleans is 100. To the east you have great beaches. Pensacola is 50 miles away and Destin, FL is 100. Enjoy! Housing is very expensive and crime is the same as most of America. The college is located in west Mobile and I was told that is the best area to live. Being a college student you might enjoy it but watch out for the crazy drivers.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 AM

35 posts, read 290,817 times
I have lived in Mobile county all of my life and have driven down some of the so SO CALLED bad areas. You can go anywhere in the county all day long and no one will bother you most likely even in Prichard. Everyone wants to talk about Mobile and they don't even know about the area. I am a white female and I would say that there are areas of concern like in Prichard after dark. I even drive there in the day but not at night. Even there the main roads are pretty safe but you don't have to worry about that because you probably wan't even go to that area.

Don't let everyone get you nervous. They don't know. Overall Mobile is a safe place to live and the people you get to know are what you are.

What I mean is where I live in the county people think I'm crazy for living here they say there is crime and drugs and violence. But guess what I don't see any of it because I don't hang out with these type of people. The people I know here are good, honest, hard working people that mind their own business. When we first moved here they helped every way they could.

Where ever you live you are going to have wacos. Even some of the people posting here could have a meth lab set up in their neighbours house and never even know it.

My biggest complaint is the traffic and all of these people that don't know how to drive. I'd be more worried about road rage than my personal safety at home.

I am sorry I can't tell you about places to stay but we have plenty. My husband says that they are going into the Hillsdale comunity and cleaning things up and tearing houses down. Well the run down houses. I don't really know for sure. You might plan a trip before you plan to move and don't be afraid to ask questions. Their might even be someone looking to share a space. If thats the way you wan't to go try www dot roommate dot com and put in Alabama and Mobile and look for West Mobile area this will take you toward the school I hope this helped. Let me know if I can be of anymore help. Welcome to Mobile.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 36,958 times
Mobile encumpasses a large area and many individual communities. I lived there for 14 years with no incidents, and lived in baldwin county, visiting mobile regularly for 6 more years. I currently live in Jacksonville now but I will be starting a job back in Mobile in a month. I personally will be residing in Baldwin County. Daphne to be specific. If that is an option I would consider it as it is a much nicer place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area