Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,604 times

Advertisements

First, a thank you to all who answer these type posts and questions.
I have been lurking for a few days and have already gotten some very good information.
As stated, I have been asked by my company to consider moving to Mobile. I would prefer to live more in a country setting as that is what I am used to. Any suggestions?
Also I would like to get some good historical temperature and humidity data.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 AM

299 posts, read 932,696 times
You could try West Mobile or possibly over the bay (Robertsdale, for example).

We are very humid, and it rains here more than just about anywhere else in the US. Our winters are mild, and our summers are hot and muggy- for specific temp and precipitation data just go to wikipedia.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
I recommend looking up towards Satsuma or maybe even Creola for a country setting. The community of Wilmer to the west of town is rural feeling as well.

The coldest it gets down here is the upper teens at night, although 30's-40's is more typical (with anywhere from 50's to 70's during the day). It has gotten down to single digits before, but that is very rare. The coldest temps are usually when a strong front moves through and it's not sustained for very long.

Summer is hot and sticky, you can expect mid/upper 90's most of the summer with high humidity. Short lived "pop up" thunderstorms with plenty of lightning are common during the summer too.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 17,604 times
Thank you both. Would anyone agree with the temp and other graphs on the city data page? If so, then the temp and humidity does not vary that much from the Nashville, Tn page.

Also, how is the traffic flow? Around Nashville the heaviest commute during rush hour is from the west and south. This might help in deciding what area to consider for living.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,751,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleMobilian? View Post
Also, how is the traffic flow? Around Nashville the heaviest commute during rush hour is from the west and south. This might help in deciding what area to consider for living.
Most traffic in Mobile is east/west (airport blvd, spring hill, cottage hill, moffet, hwy 90/govt blvd, etc.). I'd venture to say east in the morning and west in the afternoon. The only north/south major traffic would be on I-65. In that case, south in the morning and north in the afternoon ... but I (personally) have never seen I-65 back up. However, I was always an east/west person.

If you are going across the bay from Eastern Shore as a commute, it will be west in the morning and east in the afternoon. I-10 bayway can get pretty nasty at times, not to mention the downtown tunnel to the bayway.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
I've spent time in Knoxville during the summer and it seemed just as hot and muggy there as it does down here, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

535 posts, read 1,285,662 times
I would also suggest Creola/Axis area for the country setting. I lived in Axis about 18 years ago. It was VERY rural back then....I'm sure that it must have grown a little by now but I can't imagine too much.

If you are into water sports of any kind Dead Lake is about a mile from Axis and only a couple miles from Creola. We used to have a boat that we would launch every afternoon in the lake. It was beautiful and peaceful out there....

Yes, I would recommend Axis, Alabama.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM

4,984 posts, read 9,053,777 times
I wouldn`t recommend anyone to dead lake.... J/K lol any way yes northern Mobile county is very rural. Creaola,Satsuma, and Axis. The Axis area has grown a little because of the new TK Steelplant.

I-65 traffic has volume but it flows pretty good so does I-10 until you aprroach the tunnels. Mobile has heavy street level traffick versus interstate traffic and traffic can be at a crawl on a street level.

Last edited by PortCity; 11-29-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 AM

272 posts, read 956,263 times
Hot and humid, is hot and humid, just like cold is cold. Maintain your A/C unit, do your outside stuff in the morning or evening when it's real hot and you'll be fine. We live in a little rural area in Loxley, but we're only 5 minutes from I-10, 25 minutes west to Mobile and 25 east to Pensacola. You have many options go for a ride and check em out.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM

535 posts, read 1,285,662 times
I did want to point out the only disadvantage with living towards Creola/Axis is the chemical plants that line Hwy. 43. The chemical smell was overpowering at times...mostly in the early mornings and evenings.

I would say that the chemical spread does not stop in Creola/Axis but it certainly more prounounced in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area