Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,776,730 times

Advertisements

Used to live for years in the Davidson High School area. We are probably buying a house in Jackson Heights (neighborhood basically at Azalea & Michael Blvd) this summer. It's been about 2-3 years since being gone from Mobile. How is the Davidson area doing? We felt completely safe when living there a few years back. I know others have differening opinions on that. Any statistically significant increases or decreases regarding crime? Was down around New Years and it felt like the same good ole' area. Of course, being an out-of-towner now, I concede to you in-town experts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times
The first house I recall as an infant was in that area (Newport subdivision east of Davidson H.S. off Pleasant Valley) 40-odd years ago. I lived in Mobile after that as a young adult - it seemed kind of run-down to me then....

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM

4,995 posts, read 9,141,028 times
I havn`t heard anything negative about the Davidson Area.The neighborhoods that are west of Azalea Rd or across the street from Azelea Middle(has a new name now) are well kept. Many of the original residents are still in the neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM

299 posts, read 937,651 times
Jackson Heights is still a nice area.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM

535 posts, read 1,294,446 times
I beg to differ...we moved from that exact area a couple of years ago. Unless you live there or have lived there in the past couple of years you would be very surprised at it's decline.

Sure, from the outside the neighborhood may look presentable, but there is crime all over the place in the area. There are drug dealers roaming about selling drugs on various corners and I have had my car broken into a few times while living there. There is also riff-raff that sloffs up and down the streets constantly.

Good Luck to ya!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I beg to differ...we moved from that exact area a couple of years ago. Unless you live there or have lived there in the past couple of years you would be very surprised at it's decline.

Sure, from the outside the neighborhood may look presentable, but there is crime all over the place in the area. There are drug dealers roaming about selling drugs on various corners and I have had my car broken into a few times while living there. There is also riff-raff that sloffs up and down the streets constantly.

Good Luck to ya!!!!
To be fair, the neighborhoods just west and south of Davidson have always been a little crime-ridden ... especially the deeper into the neighborhoods you get. Had many friends who lived in those neighborhoods though through the years, and was always fine ... even though there were some kids always wondering around. But usually the neighborhoods more up the road toward Michael Blvd and Airport Blvd (Jackson Heights and Eau Claire Estates, specifically) have been completely removed from any petty crime. Are you saying that these neighborhoods are now a problem area? I respect everyone's opinion while forming my own. Thing is, I know 4 or 5 people that still live in Jackson/Eau Claire and say that it is still great. Guess we will find out for sure ourselves lol. Are buying a specific house in Eau Claire for sure now in June. I think we will be just fine. But if not, even though I vote Democrat, I still keep a gun in the house like many of my friends from across the aisle.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM

LOL @ the gun comment. Jackson Heights is still nice OC and the other neighborhoods around Michael Blvd and Airport. The neighborhoods that are at the corner of Azalea and Cottage Hill across the street from Fonde Elemntary and behind CVS are all nice neighborhoods. Azalea Rd across Cottagehill are still nice as well.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
LOL @ the gun comment. Jackson Heights is still nice OC and the other neighborhoods around Michael Blvd and Airport. The neighborhoods that are at the corner of Azalea and Cottage Hill across the street from Fonde Elemntary and behind CVS are all nice neighborhoods. Azalea Rd across Cottagehill are still nice as well.
Yeah, it has always been weird like that in the area. Traditionally if you live near Airport/Azalea, Michael/Azalea, or Cottage Hill/Azalea, you are in really nice middle-class neighborhoods. It's only the Pleasent Valley/Azalea area that has always carried the petty crime label... right in the direct center of all of the other areas. I was born into a house on Pleasent Valley right across from Davidson. Have friends who live off Pleasent Valley just west of Azalea to this day. Relatives lived in Eau Clair Estates at Michael/Azalea. Lived much of my 20's in Lafayette Square and Pine Bend apartments. Guess I am really glad to be coming back "home" to Eau Claire Estates. If the area has gone down a little bit, maybe the wife and I can help change that. It's really a beautiful area of town ... if you take away the Orleans Place apartments eyesore lol and refurbish some of the worn down houses you see deep in the neighborhood between Springdale Rd. and Pleasent Valley.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree about Orlenas Place. I use to go to Azalea Middle and Sea Breeze was a little rough or shacky.The reason why I say "little" is because I went to school with kids from the Bottoms community(near Orange Grove).So Sea Breeze compared to the Bottom... well you git the picture.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I agree about Orlenas Place. I use to go to Azalea Middle and Sea Breeze was a little rough or shacky.The reason why I say "little" is because I went to school with kids from the Bottoms community(near Orange Grove).So Sea Breeze compared to the Bottom... well you git the picture.
Sea Breeze ... yeah, that's it. Spent 20+ years in and out of the general area, but never spent any time there or knew anyone from those buildings. Guess I don't consider that to be the "norm" in the area though, by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area