U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,848,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCopel View Post
Ossie Bar-b-que is returning this year, in the old spot on Goverment St. I use to go there with my parents in the 60's. It was the best bar-b-que in town. Can't wait to try the new Ossie.
WHEN??? Seriously, when is this expected? I'll be one of the first in their door!!! And, you are so right, the very BEST BBQ, bar none, before or after, no matter what city I've been in!

Do keep us updated with the opening date and exact location address, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,080,981 times
Never heard of Ossie but I`m ready to try it ! I think they are opening at the loop ?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Never heard of Ossie but I`m ready to try it ! I think they are opening at the loop ?
Ah, you're way too young to remember - it was Ozzie's BBQ - from the 60's to 70's - they had a really popular drive-in on Hwy 90 just east of Hwy 90 & Azalea Rd intersection... carhops and all! Then around '65 there was a Shoney's drive-in right next door to it.. so everyone ended up driving through both... just to see and be seen...after the ballgames, movies, etc., on Friday-Saturday nights! Then on down Hwy 90 thru Russell's and then to Krystals on Govt. and then back again, making a full circle, sometimes several times (Good thing gas was so much cheaper then)! Traffic would be backed up all the way up Hwy 90 just to do the tour to get into these places!

Later, when Ozzie's closed this Hwy 90 location, they opened a smaller place at the corner of Bel-Air Blvd and Airport Blvd in the mid 70's... same great food, but I don't think they lasted very long at that location for whatever reason.

So, anywhere on Govt. other than this original Hwy 90 location would be different, so do let us know if you hear anything!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,080,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Ah, you're way too young to remember - it was Ozzie's BBQ - from the 60's to 70's - they had a really popular drive-in on Hwy 90 just east of Hwy 90 & Azalea Rd intersection... carhops and all! Then around '65 there was a Shoney's drive-in right next door to it.. so everyone ended up driving through both... just to see and be seen...after the ballgames, movies, etc., on Friday-Saturday nights! Then on down Hwy 90 thru Russell's and then to Krystals on Govt. and then back again, making a full circle, sometimes several times (Good thing gas was so much cheaper then)! Traffic would be backed up all the way up Hwy 90 just to do the tour to get into these places!

Later, when Ozzie's closed this Hwy 90 location, they opened a smaller place at the corner of Bel-Air Blvd and Airport Blvd in the mid 70's... same great food, but I don't think they lasted very long at that location for whatever reason.

So, anywhere on Govt. other than this original Hwy 90 location would be different, so do let us know if you hear anything!

Rubbing stomach .......

Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 7,585 times
Default Ozzie Bar-B- Que

Ozzie opened up on Jan 24. They ran out of food the first day. I have been there twice and it is good. On Govt near Azalea Rd. Prices are good too.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Ozzie opened up on Jan 24. They ran out of food the first day. I have been there twice and it is good. On Govt near Azalea Rd. Prices are good too.
Thanks, great to hear!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,518,440 times
Hey y'all!

My wife was born in Mobile, and my family moved there when I was 13. In the late '80s my wife and son and I moved away from Mobile, all the way out to the Left Coast. A four-letter-word caused it -- J O B S.

Now, with that said, please fasten your seatbelts and put your seat backs & tray tables into their full, upright and most uncomfortable positions, 'cause I'm about to take y'all rapidly back in time.

If y'all remember the movie American Graffitti, some of the marketing hype asked "Where were you in '62?" Well, all of my classmates and I (class of '64, btw) were cruisin' Highway 90. Ossie's Barbecue and Shoney's have been mentioned, but there was a third -- Dick Russell's Barbecue. It was farther east on Highway 90, on the south side of the road, about a mile west of the Cannon. All three had drive-in service with carhops, remote juke box controls, and all the trimmings. Bruddah, did we ever cruise those spots on Friday and Saturday nights! We guys were lookin' at all the cars, and all of the women. And of course the women were all looking just as critically at us!

Now, to truly appreciate this ya gotta realize that, in 1962-64, gasoline was between 25 and 35 cents per gallon. We could cruise all night on $2.00 worth of gas. Though Mobile's "Strip" wasn't nearly as long or as well-stocked with drive-ins and what-have-you as those on the West Coast, it was still a whole lot of fun.

=========================

Then came the real party-poopers -- Dallas in November of '63 and the Gulf of Tonkin Incidents in August of '64. Because of them, our entire world changed forever. But hey, it was a ton of fun while it lasted! Every time I watch American Graffitti I'm transported "back to those thrilling days of yesteryear."

[10 extra points if you know where that last quote came from... ]

Last edited by Nighteyes; 02-01-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,900 times
Quote:
I remeber the Loop area of DIP very well. I lived at 514 DIP (Fulton Rd) from 1959 to 1968 and attended Woodcock from 1960 to 1967, when it had grades 1 thru 7. I played at Rickarby Park and remember Mrs. Rodriguez who was in charge of the park. My brother and I would go to the Loop Theatre and watch a double feature. Soda, popcorn, and movie for .50. We would also go to Skateland, behind the theatre. Albright&Wood and Delchamps was on one corner of the street and TG&Y, a barber shop, Krispy Kreme, and Ice House on the other corner. I remember Johnny's Drive Inn, the Toddle House, and my favorite, Ossies Bar-b-que. Does anyone know where to get bar-b-que like that? Let me know. I remember Bellas Hess, A&P, the Pitt Gill, and Lums. Where did all the Colonel Dixies go? Only one left. Tiny Diny is still around. I remember Santa Clause parachuting from a plane at Springdale Plaza. I could go on and on.

I remember those times well. Rickarby Park is still there but I don't like the neighborhood anymore and don't feel safe in that area.
The ice house is still there, but doesn't sell directly off the loading dock but rather sells through the seafood store next door to it.
Mayo's Barber Shop on Airport Boulevard extension is still there. $16.00 per cut!
The Loop Theater is long gone, a Walgreen's sits there now.
Advance Auto Parts sits where the Toddle House used to be.
There's a Hodges Body Shop where Byrd's Rollerdrome used be at Duval and Fulton Road.
Bauer's Drugs is still there.
The Carmelite Monastery is still there.
Norton's Park is gone but the gate with the name is still there.
Houston street is a ghetto, but the asphalt is nice making it easy to scoot through there without the bumps.
Ozzie's just reopened a week or so ago. Same location. Food is still good. Drive through now, No drive-in curb service.
B&H is now at Hall's Mill and Pleasant Valley. Same type place.
Tiny Diny is now larger, across from B&H. New owners, same waitresses. Higher prices. Same food.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,518,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoalBoy View Post
The Carmelite Monastery is still there.
And where else would they be goin', now? [Uh-oh, me Irish is showin' thru... ]

Quote:
Ozzie's just reopened a week or so ago. Same location. Food is still good. Drive through now, No drive-in curb service.
'Tis a mixture of good news and bad news indeed.

Quote:
B&H is now at Hall's Mill and Pleasant Valley. Same type place.Tiny Diny is now larger, across from B&H. New owners, same waitresses. Higher prices. Same food.
I'm hatin' ta burst yer bubble, me lad, but unless the streets have been re-routed, that's where they were back in the day (1959 thru 1988). The Tiny Diny was one of me in-laws' favorite restaurants (may God rest their souls).

Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,802 times
Newbie here. I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I lived in Mobile in the 1970s. Attended the now defunct Greystone Christian School and I.M.S. schools and survived unscathed. Spent my formative teen years listening to WABB FM during their Golden Age of music, when DJ's didn't play programmed pap. Selections ranged from Led Zeppelin to Willie Nelson to Jerry Jeff Walker to Jimi Hendrix to Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, John Prine, on and on....It was an amazing time for radio. Anyway, I've kept in touch with a friend from back then. We still talk about the old days - the music, high school, the area we lived in, which was behind Skyline Country Club off Government Blvd. A couple of years ago he sent me an email in which he briefly reminisced about the local record stores we used to shop at. I'd be interested to know if anyone can add to this - locations? store names? etc. I'm leaving in some personal references to accent the time frame.

"It was amazing back then how many places there were, where you could buy albums. I mostly just remember hitting most of these stores with you.

A few remembrances:

Woolco - You and I would walk there. That Fletcher guy worked there for awhile.

K&B Drugs - Next to Woolco. I bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road there.

Gaylord's - I can't believe we would walk all the way down there. I remember going with you and buying "The ***** is Back" 45.

Camelot Music - Who would have thought that I would wind up working for these guys. I remember going with you when you bought George Benson's Breezin'. I think I bought a Renaissance Live album that day. I remember us going another time when I bought Todd Rundgren's Faithful.

Kretzer's - The "other" record store at Bel Air Mall. Fletcher also worked there at one time. I remember him extolling the virtues of Mott the Hoople's Brain Capers to one of us. I bought Queen's first album there. I remember if you saved your receipts, you could get a free album after you had bought so many (was it 10?).

Unknown - That Kodak or photo store at Springdale, before it was Springdale Mall. Didn't you find a copy of Holland there that still had the Mt. Vernon & Fairway EP enclosed? I know I bought Badfinger's Straight Up there.

Bellas Hess - At the corner of Azalea Road and Airport Boulevard. Several times I rode my bike all the way up there. I bought Magical Mystery Tour and Yesterday & Today there.

The Whirlygig - I don't remember much about this place. It was on Airport Blvd.

Unknown - That record store at the new Springdale Mall. I remember they had both Roderick Falconer albums. Is that where you bought it?

The Record Bar - On the same site as the former Whirlygig. I bought the Cars' first album there, as well as numerous 8 Track tapes.

Columbia House Record & Tape Club - That was it's name, right? I bought a reel-to-reel copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road from there. I remember you getting a Jim Croce album from a record club, and you were mad that the postman left it sitting out in the sun. It had a picture of Croce sitting up in a bed, and you remarked that he looked like he was already dead when they took the picture.

That's all I can think of for now. When you worked at Rose's Department Store did they sell albums?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area