Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

B&H use to be on Holcombe back in the 60s. John Ed Thompson (the weatherman) use to be a bag boy there. I lived on Senator St in a little tiny house in 1963 right off of Holcombe.

I also use to go to Rickarby Park. What a fun time we had back then. I lived on Ruth St. I also went to Woodcock school. Going to the Loop Theater was always fun. I remember when I turned 12 and had to pay $1.00 to get in.. boy that was a bummer. The necking section was on the right side down front. Do you remember the ushers who would walk up and down the isles?

My favorite candies were JuJus and Pompoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 21,828 times
Keeper, I was right around the corner from you on DIP in 1963. I went to Woodcock from Sept 1960 to June 1967. 1st thru 7th grade. They only had a 7th grade there for two years.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCopel View Post
Ozzie opened up on Jan 24. They ran out of food the first day. I have been there twice and it is good. On Govt near Azalea Rd. Prices are good too.
Drove by Ozzie's on Monday...didn't have time to stop but it looked like it was doing a brisk business. Made me think of the old Ozzie's when I was a kid.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy5 View Post
I'll tell you another one you might have forgotten about. Anybody remember OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) located at Demetropolis and Highway 90? I worked there in High School before the big Wal Mart stores got started. It was the only place at that time that you could buy a washing machine, a sofa, some spark plugs for your lawnmower and have your brakes worked on your car.

Never forget that during the time of the Peyton murder that Whisenhunt came in to Otasco with his wife and put numerous items on lay-a-way and then was arrested...spooky!
There was also an Otasco in the strip mall near University and Old Shell Rd. Went there a lot as a kid....also to the Rose's next door. There was an A&P in the north corner.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
B&H use to be on Holcombe back in the 60s.
I may not say this quite right, so please forgive in advance.

Holcombe Avenue runs into, and terminates at, Halls Mill Road right about where B&H resides. I had a small garage apartment on Glenwood Street, just north of Holcombe Avenue, in the late 1960's. I did nearly all of my grocery shopping at B&H.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 AM

I lived on Senator off of Holcomb in a little tiny apt. I also lived near Rickarby park. I remember going to the drug store and getting a 'real' cherry coke at the soda fountain.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM

482 posts, read 885,332 times
Another one for Mobile's history books as WABB signs off permanently tonight. Though I'm 30 and the top 40 music is crap nowadays (at least over the past 8 years or so), I, like most, grew up with this station as well as some other local ones. Only this one had stood the test of time until now. Would have loved to have been around in the 70s when the Eagles, Elton John, and other great artists were "top 40".

Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM

14 posts, read 90,256 times
Does anyone remember the ghost story of cry baby bridge?

Last edited by solumn_eagle; 03-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: grammar correction

Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solumn_eagle View Post
Does anyone remember the ghost story of cry baby bridge?
Here is the story
Cry Baby Bridge & Kali Oka » Real Haunted Houses

Here is one version
Cry Baby Bridge also has multiple legends as to why one can hear a baby cry when you cross it at night. Some say a bunch of kids were playing on the bridge when they knocked a boy into the creek, where he downed. There are a few versions that a woman and her baby had a tragic accident. In some versions, she escapes and doesn’t even try to save the baby, in others, both she and the baby die. Those who follow logic claim that the sound is actually the wind blowing across the pipes that lay beneath the bridge, but that does not explain why cars have so much trouble crossing the bridge at night. Cars will stall, lights will go haywire, and some have even reported that their cars have moved from one end of the bridge to the other without any earthly aid.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Another one for Mobile's history books as WABB signs off permanently tonight. Though I'm 30 and the top 40 music is crap nowadays (at least over the past 8 years or so), I, like most, grew up with this station as well as some other local ones. Only this one had stood the test of time until now. Would have loved to have been around in the 70s when the Eagles, Elton John, and other great artists were "top 40".
Is it just changing its format or closing down.....?
Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area