Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 64,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykottage View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a sandwich shop/bar in mid 1980's on Old Shell Road across from the University of South Alabama? I've been racking my brain and can't come up with it!
Solomon's is the shop I believe you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Default When part of airport blvd was woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
By the way, someone mentioned that what is now Airport Boulevard was once a two-lane road called Grant Street. Out past Azalea, btw, it was called "Grant Street Road."

Unless things have changed a lot in the past 6 or so years, Airport Boulevard west from Azalea to about Bit & Spur Road has a raised concrete divider between the east- and west-bound lanes. That narrow slice of concrete, ladies and gentlemen, WAS Grant Street Road!
I grew up close to the portion of Airport Blvd between Sage Ave and Florida ST, and remember when there was nothing there at all but woods, and also remember the bulldozers and other heavy equipment sometime in the 60's when the area was being cleared for the road, and going up and sitting on the equipment and trying to see if I could get it to start. The Pak a Sak about 1 mile up toward town was the first place that I knew of, that sold ICEE's. But if you kept going all the way to the end at Govt, the good old cannon was already there, probably several hundred paintings ago!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,526 times
In 1969 I was 9 years old when we moved to Mobile. We lived many places around town. I remember going to the Roxy Theater so see Huckleberry Finn and to the Bel Aire Cinema to see the Graduate in 1970 and then I saw It's a Mad Mad Mad World there also. We ate many times at Gulas' on Government St they had live music sometimes. Once there was a woman named Buddy Barnett playing the piano singing. There was Skate Haven on Cottage Hill Rd in the 70s we would stomp our skates on the floor when hearing Knock Three Times by Tony Orlando and Dawn. I went to Adelia Williams Elementary 3rd and 4th grade Westlawn for 5th grade Sidney Phillips 6th Mae Eanes 7th Grade, Azalea Middle part of 8th and then back to Mae Eanes rest of 8th and Murphy High all four years of HS class of 1979. there was Rainbow Records on I think Old Shell Rd The Record Bar on Airport Blvd, Sound Advise in Bel Aire Mall Colonel Dixie on Government and Pleasant Valley Rd, discount dept stores were Roses, Woolco, Gaylords,Grants. In Cloverleaf Plaza in Tillmans Corner there was a store called Sho Nuff Hardware Carwie Ace Hardware, Zitsos restaurant.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 AM

489 posts, read 463,276 times
I think Colonel Dixie is still there.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
My family moved to Mobile in ’71, when my dad retired from the military. My mom’s family was from there. My memories are from the 70’s mainly.

I went to Univ of Mobile when it was still called Mobile College, and that was only because it was affiliated with Mobile Infirmary’s nursing school. I graduated from Greystone, which has since closed and I think Mobile park & rec owns the facilities now? Attended USA too and LOVED Solomons. Is it still in business anywhere in the city?

I used to work at Woolworths in the mall. Best fried chicken ever. To this day, they remain the best retailer I’ve ever worked for, in terms of how they treated their employees. I used to work at a lingerie shop that was in he mini-mall, the couple that owned it were really nice folks too.

Partying in Mobile used to be really good. The Met, Diamondback (OMG the snakebites!), Shotgun Sams, and a place I don’t remember the name of - it was a Chinese restaurant just off Airport at Bel Air Mall. Had a big fountain/pond out front with koi and the bar was fun. That was back when folks knew each other. A bunch of us girls would meet up and we’d see whose car was in the lot and then go in. We always knew folks and there was always someone who would walk you to your car if you wanted. Good times.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,526 times
The Chinese restaurant near Belair mall was the Chinese Palace and it had a disco called Dr Wongs. Fun times

Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
That was it! THanks!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,558 times
Taco King!
One Nostalgia Place..
Bombay Bicycle Club
Sambo's
So many memories; I lived here around 75-85, and just returned. I was a musician then, and now, so I knew a lot of the nightspots..

Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 AM

310 posts, read 386,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroadie View Post
Taco King!
One Nostalgia Place..
Bombay Bicycle Club
Sambo's
So many memories; I lived here around 75-85, and just returned. I was a musician then, and now, so I knew a lot of the nightspots..
Yep, Taco King had the best homemade guacamole. Also, I remember Bombay being in what is now O'Charley's and Sambo's became Denny's after the racist allegations of the name.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:08 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
When I was a teen I worked at Gulf Coast Video on Airport. After work a friend and I would get a drink or two at Bombay Bicycle Club.

And when I was pregnant with my firstborn, Taco King on Hwy 90 was my favorite craving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area