Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 71,900 times

Advertisements

JRA - Did you live in Sherwood Forrest?? I had grandparents that lived there and we loved going over there when that neighborhood was actually in good shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,976 times
You folks make me feel so old, guess I am. I grew up in Mobile in the 50s. My Dad was in the Air Force and we lived in Birdville. We went to the Brookley Theater and the Recreaction Center behind it. I remember Hartwell Field and lots of other old things in Mobile. Does anyone else go that far back?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Theater in Brookly Field ?! I could never imagen......

Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 10,976 times
Default Brookley

The Theater wasn't on the Base, it was at the end of Michican Ave just before you went over the bridge on to the Base.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 21,828 times
I remeber the Loop area of DIP very well. I lived at 514 DIP (Fulton Rd) from 1959 to 1968 and attended Woodcock from 1960 to 1967, when it had grades 1 thru 7. I played at Rickarby Park and remember Mrs. Rodriguez who was in charge of the park. My brother and I would go to the Loop Theatre and watch a double feature. Soda, popcorn, and movie for .50. We would also go to Skateland, behind the theatre. Albright&Wood and Delchamps was on one corner of the street and TG&Y, a barber shop, Krispy Kreme, and Ice House on the other corner. I remember Johnny's Drive Inn, the Toddle House, and my favorite, Ossies Bar-b-que. Does anyone know where to get bar-b-que like that? Let me know. I remember Bellas Hess, A&P, the Pitt Gill, and Lums. Where did all the Colonel Dixies go? Only one left. Tiny Diny is still around. I remember Santa Clause parachuting from a plane at Springdale Plaza. I could go on and on.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 16,678 times
"I remember Santa Clause parachuting from a plane at Springdale Plaza."

I remember santa flew over an open field in a helecopter just north of Springdale Mall. He dropped a pile of chocolate filled gold coins.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

482 posts, read 885,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy5 View Post
JRA - Did you live in Sherwood Forrest?? I had grandparents that lived there and we loved going over there when that neighborhood was actually in good shape
No, as a kid, I lived in Martin Place off McVay. My parents bought there in 79. I was born in 81. We moved out in 88 when the neighborhood started to go down. It's a war zone now; that whole area is.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 16,678 times
I grew up by the water works on moffat rd. That's where Forest Hill Rd meets Moffat Rd

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Anyone remember the mini mall in Bel-Air Mall?? It don't remember all the little shops that were down that little "hall", but I remember there was a pastry shop and a head shop in there. Also, the huge slide called the "suicide slide" that used to sit in the parking lot of near the Springdale Mall.
I know there was a small bakery and I believe some sort of seamstress or alterations place in there. At least I remember going to those 2 places with my mom as a kid.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,741 times
Hello everyone. New poster here

It's too dangerous now to ride your bike to the store or go far off with friends at a young age. So I want to go back in time and get info from others on what they remember from Mobile 30+ years ago

Depends on how you look at things. I live in Oakleigh(a block from Calaghans), which sounds nice enough, but the area around is less than ideal. There was a shooting just around the corner at Washington Square last weekend, and I've heard gunshots nearby twice this year. Still, I don't worry about it. Except for the Washington square shooting(something doesn't quite add up there) the others, while within earshot, were a decent distance away.

I'm not going to avoid walking by Washington Square at night because of the shooting last week, or gun shots I've heard before. I'm more likely to get in a fatal accident than get shot there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying throw caustion to the wind. But, if it's my time, I guess it's my time is all.

As far as my experience in Mobile as a kid....Well, I was born in 79 in Dothan(lame) Al. My dad got a job with the department of forensic science at the USA medical center in the mid 80's, and lived there for a few years while my mother, sister and I lived in Dothan. He was off 1 week out of every three, and we went to see him half the weekends he wasn't home. Anyway, he had a kinda guest house behind a a house in Tillmans Corner. I don't remember a whole lot about Tillmans Corner then except there wasn't much to it. I've been by ther now, and wow....there's a lot more there now.

I'm actually an Eastern Shore kid. Once we all moved to the area, we moved into Lake Forest in Daphne. I really can't imagine a better place to grow up. One neighborhood of around 10,000. I would say at least 2,000 of those were other kids, that were able to get to any part of the neighborhood within 30 min. walk by trail.

As far as Daphne back when we moved there in '89. Well, there was the BK, a Nautilus, **** Of The Walk, a baeball card shop that I'm ashamed I can't remember the name of right now, and that was pretty much it on the western side of 98. On the Eastern side there was the Eastern Shore Motel, a few doctor's offices, a dry cleaning place, and the Circle K.

On Highway 90 there was a free standing Gayfers where there is now a Town Center.

Oh yeah, and Daphne high was in it's first year of existance. And the old Daphne Middle, where I first went is now completely remodeled, and almost unrecognizable from when I went there

It's absolutely insane how much Daphne(and the rest of Easten Shore) has grown in just 20 years.

I still for the life of me, can't figure out how Baldwin County isn't part of Mobile's metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area