U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 34,807 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'm doing a househunting trip to Mobile this weekend. Any events/music spots that I should not miss? Would love to find a spot with live music (jazz, funk, or blues) How about any restaurants that are not to be missed. We will be staying in the midtown area but are open to seeing any part of town.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM

129 posts, read 210,622 times
I can't think of anything specific, but I recommend picking up a Lagniappe when you get to town. It's the local newspaper that covers entertainment and such. The only place I can think of to find a blues band is the BBQ joint called The Shed. I think they have blues bands every weekend.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM

2,316 posts, read 3,080,981 times
Yes the Shed just had the band CoCo Robicheaux last Friday !! The Shed is located on Oldshell Rd across the street from the University of South Alabama.

Check out WWW.LAGNIAPPEMOBILE.COM it has all of the Cuisine and live music,and art spots in the area. You will find something to get into I gurantee.

My favorite places to eat:

Spot of tea(Down Town) must try the cathedral eggs.

Heroes sports bar and grill(down town)

Veets (down town omn Royal street) has live music and great sea food

Joe Cane cafe ( Roayle street down town) has the best Chicken philly steak they also have stand up comedy on certain days.

The Cannon grill in( Mid town)

The Bull Catina(down town)

NOJA( kinda pricey but has good French and African food) on North Jackson street downtown.

Mediterainian grill has great Gyros(down town)

Big mama( great gumbo)

Felix Fish Camp,Oysterella,and Origianal Oyster house (all great sea food joints on the casue way)Felix has live music.

French Market cafe ( gotta try there beignets "French Donuts") midtown in the loop area.

many many more on the web site. Tell us about your visit !!

Last edited by PortCity; 03-30-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 PM

272 posts, read 592,031 times
The " Blues Tavern " on Goverment is the best place for music, no food though, The Shed has bbq and music.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM

129 posts, read 210,622 times
Here is a story about a jazz musician playing downtown Sunday.
http://blog.al.com/entertainment-pre...nging_the.html

I agree that the bands at Blues Tavern are great, but the place is too small.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 3,080,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Here is a story about a jazz musician playing downtown Sunday.
Headhunters' Clark bringing the funk to Royal Scam on Sunday | al.com

I agree that the bands at Blues Tavern are great, but the place is too small.

I`ll be DT Sunday !!! Every other day like Thursday-Sunday you will find small jazz bands or a musician playing music downtown. I would love to see more of that.Hearing a nice jazz band DT really set the atmosphere,a couple of weeks ago there were a few musicians DT playing music during lunch hour. The atmosphere was great there were a good bit of people out DT + Jazz Music = a vibrant atmosphere and that was exactly what it was. The gyros at a new mediterranean grill downtown was pretty good.

Also I forgot to mention the ROYAL SCAM !!! nice place.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:47 AM

272 posts, read 592,031 times
Ric McNaughton tonite at the Blues Tavern, excellent band !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area