Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 PM
fox fox started this thread

1 posts, read 9,337 times

Advertisements

We will possibly be relocating to West Mobile this summer. We have heard different opinions about living in Alabama vs. Mississippi. We have considered other towns around Mississippi such as Vancleve, Ocean Springs, etc. Do you have an opinion on the schools/houses in any of these areas mentioned?

We have an 11th grader and 7th grader and are wondering about public vs private schools in West Mobile. Is it best to go with a private school no matter what? What are some good public and private schools in the area? Is there a more desirable neighborhood to live in West Mobile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 81,651 times
I got in so much trouble with my public and private schooled friends out in West Mobile LOL

If your kids have a solid base at home with you and a good record on choosing the right kind of friends, it won't matter much where you put them

Hmmmmmmmm maybe thats why I homeschool? I don't want my kids being influenced by the kind of kid I was LOL

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM

247 posts, read 1,109,663 times
I grew up in Ocean Springs, MS- it was an idyllic childhood of riding our bikes to the movie theatre and all the way to the OS Yacht Club or Treasure Oaks Country Club(really just a swim club). Schools were top in state. Heard that now Vancleave, MS has top schools, which is where we lived in our early 20's/marriage because my husband wanted more land. My grandparents had a fish camp since the 40's in Vancleave. My opinion- a little redneck for me. But there are some pretty areas back on the bayous. I now wouldn't live anywhere but Ocean Springs, MS if looking at the MS Gulf Coast. The MS Gulf Coast is very laid back and overt materialism is not cool there.

I prefer Mobile- more happening place and everything's nicer over here than in MS. For instance, when we built a house in Vancleave- I couldn't find anyone who understood what I wanted in the molding. We built a home in Mobile, and it was easier to get what I wanted.
There is an excellent high school in West Mobile called Baker High School. They offer a complete AP curriculum. But if your child is in the Basic curriculum , they might have a different experience! For private schools- UMS-Wright & St. Paul's are good. Murphy High School has the top-notch but very hard International Baccalaureate Program , which is a step above the AP (Advanced Placement) program, but that's downtown.
But if you are going to live in Mobile, and not West Mobile- you will just have to go with private.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 AM

247 posts, read 1,109,663 times
Also, more desirable neighborhood in West Mobile- make sure you stay South of Airport. I've always liked Charleston Oaks but it is an older neighborhood. The houses are good, classic styles that fit well with Mobile and very well-built with beautiful oak trees all around. I don't care for the new style of houses that have been going up lately, although I also like Stone Hedge off Grelot. Way out there is the Lakes.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,377 times
I grew up in Mississippi. Ocean Springs and Vancleave if you absolutely have to live in MS; however MS has high property taxes and HIGH home insurance. I now live in West west mobile as I call it. Our schools are hutchens(elementary), Causey(middle) and baker(high school). I have heard nothing but wonderful things from the neighbors about these schools.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
As for West Mobile Neighborhoods, I would live:
  • Off Hillcrest between Grelot and Cottage Hill
  • Off Grelot between University and Schillenger
  • Off Cottage Hill between Knolwood and Hillcrest
  • Off Airport between University and Hillcrest
  • Off Leroy Stevens between Yorkhaven and Cottage Hill
There are alot of neighborhoods in these areas that are good and would be great for kids.

I would send my kids to Baker (public) or Cottage Hill or Mobile Christian (private)

... Hope that helps. I spent 3rd grade through Sophmore year of college in West Mobile.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 PM

196 posts, read 777,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndoll View Post
I grew up in Ocean Springs, MS- it was an idyllic childhood of riding our bikes to the movie theatre and all the way to the OS Yacht Club or Treasure Oaks Country Club(really just a swim club). Schools were top in state. Heard that now Vancleave, MS has top schools, which is where we lived in our early 20's/marriage because my husband wanted more land. My grandparents had a fish camp since the 40's in Vancleave. My opinion- a little redneck for me. But there are some pretty areas back on the bayous. I now wouldn't live anywhere but Ocean Springs, MS if looking at the MS Gulf Coast. The MS Gulf Coast is very laid back and overt materialism is not cool there.

I prefer Mobile- more happening place and everything's nicer over here than in MS. For instance, when we built a house in Vancleave- I couldn't find anyone who understood what I wanted in the molding. We built a home in Mobile, and it was easier to get what I wanted.
There is an excellent high school in West Mobile called Baker High School. They offer a complete AP curriculum. But if your child is in the Basic curriculum , they might have a different experience! For private schools- UMS-Wright & St. Paul's are good. Murphy High School has the top-notch but very hard International Baccalaureate Program , which is a step above the AP (Advanced Placement) program, but that's downtown.
But if you are going to live in Mobile, and not West Mobile- you will just have to go with private.
Just wondering, where does Mobile end and where does West Mobile start?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
Just wondering, where does Mobile end and where does West Mobile start?
That is two-fold question and debatable at best. In my opinion:

1) You have "west Mobile" which is the western parts of the city limits and has some really nice areas. Those areas would include the University/Airport area, USA area, Hilcrest/Grelot area, Cottage Hill/Knolwood area, etc.

2) You then have "West Mobile" which is not in city limits and considers itself its own little entity. This would be landmarked and centered with the Airport/Schillenger area and sprawled out from there into the county in all directions until you hit other areas such as Tillman's corner, Semmes, etc. I spent my high school years in this area and I would say that the good areas consist of Schillengers/Grelot, Leroy Stevens/YorkHaven, Dawes/Cottage Hill, Airport/Snow, Cottage Hill/Cody, etc.

In my opinion, West Mobile begins a half-mile or so west of Azalea Rd. I'm sure there are numerous opinions on this though that difer from mine.

Oh, and if we must get technical, "West Mobile" (the separate entity not in the city limits) begins west of Cody road ... since that is the divider.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM

34 posts, read 105,330 times
I go to Mobile Christian School and it is a great school. The people here are very welcoming and your kids will fit right in. The tuition is not too bad and they will both be at the same school. The school is pre-k3 through 12 grade. here is the website to check it out. www.mobilechristian.org

I wouldn't recommend public school here at all they are pretty bad regardless of whether or not they are in AP classes or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: