Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is making the trip from Chicago to Portland, Oregon and will be traveling west via interstate 94 through Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Washington, and into Oregon. What type of terrain will she expect while traveling on interstate 94 through Montana? Will she have to make mountain passes? Are there large switchbacks or downgrades to expect and where? Any general information would be great!!! Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Interstate 94 goes to Billings, then it is Interstate 90 west of Billings. There are mountain passes, but no switchbacks on the interstate. The steep one in Montana that she will drive over is Homestake Pass just east of Butte, but don't worry, she will be fine.

I'm assuming you know I 94 does not go all the way to Portland.

From I 90 in Montana, Idaho and Spokane, Washington, you then go south to I 84 that takes you to Portland. That's assuming she isn't going all the way to Seattle first, then south. There is a state road 395 south of Spokane that cuts off a lot of miles if she wants to take that route.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Interstate 94 goes to Billings, then it is Interstate 90 west of Billings. There are mountain passes, but no switchbacks on the interstate. The steep one in Montana that she will drive over is Homestake Pass just east of Butte, but don't worry, she will be fine.

I'm assuming you know I 94 does not go all the way to Portland.

From I 90 in Montana, Idaho and Spokane, Washington, you then go south to I 84 that takes you to Portland. That's assuming she isn't going all the way to Seattle first, then south. There is a state road 395 south of Spokane that cuts off a lot of miles if she wants to take that route.

Hope this helps.
You got it. Thats the exact route she will be taking. State road 395 south will connect her up to interstate 84 in Oregon. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
It's not a bad drive at all in technical terms - just LONNNNGGGGG. West of Billings is where it starts to get really interesting - IMHO - though all areas have their beauty. Just watch out for animals in the road way!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
It's not a bad drive at all in technical terms - just LONNNNGGGGG. West of Billings is where it starts to get really interesting - IMHO - though all areas have their beauty. Just watch out for animals in the road way!
Oh thats good to hear! I'm glad the drive will be scenic. Oh no animals! What kind of animals are we talking about??

Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
Oh thats good to hear! I'm glad the drive will be scenic. Oh no animals! What kind of animals are we talking about??
Deer, antelope, elk, bear, moose are the large ones. Skunks, badgers, birds, porcupine are the smaller ones.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Usually just deer in some areas, but most often only in early morning or twilight evening hours.
There are "watch for deer" signs in areas where they commonly bolt across the road and in front of a car.
Like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/...db3513e584.jpg

Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Here is a helpful site, good luck
Montana Department of Transportation Traveler Information Map

Old 10-13-2020, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
She'll be fine I've been out there a few times West and eastbound to Boise Idaho and a few times, and into Washington State a few times. I tell you it is Beautiful. Keep your eyes on the road, I always tried to do my daytime driving through there and park for the evening anytime I could. Have a safe journey

Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie19560707 View Post
She'll be fine I've been out there a few times West and eastbound to Boise Idaho and a few times, and into Washington State a few times. I tell you it is Beautiful. Keep your eyes on the road, I always tried to do my daytime driving through there and park for the evening anytime I could. Have a safe journey

Welcome to the forum and C-D! Good advice, but the OP's girlfriend (probably) made that trip 10 years ago. I assume she arrived safely. The OP hasn't been active for 7 years. You'll get used to checking the dates of the original posts.

My heart skipped a beat when I read Elkhunter's post --where did those 10 years go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana