Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Don't missunderstand, it is beautiful here, if you are into outdoor sports I don't think there is anywhere better than this. We have some of the cleanest water and air in the U.S. and traffic here is not horrible. The problem is people come here in the summer and then move here and after a couple of months complain about how it is. All I would hope is that you have you eyes wide open before you get here so you know this is not heaven on earth, there are warts and pimples here just like everywhere else. We just have different ones.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
I've been here all of my life, and have never had much trouble with the winters.

Granted, winters in Missoula and Kalispell are longer, as a rule because of their locations, winter in these places can be rather dark, long and depressing actually.

I've gone to town in the middle of December w/out a jacket, and have been sunburned in January.

Montana, as far as the weather, is no different in than any other typical northern tier state.

Winters all across the north can be wet, cold and miserable, regardless of whether you live in Washington, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, or even Montana.

Missoula and Kalispell are just two of the many hundreds of places in Montana.
The weather in Kalispell is extremely different than, let's say, Billings, or Great Falls.

Eastern slope environments are special places in the winter.
The Cascades in Washington and the Rockies in Montana both provide for moderate weather conditions in the winter because of the downsloping air... moving air creates friction in the atmosphere, thus resulting in warmer climates in the winter. We call them Chinooks. The temp may be 30 degrees one day and 50 the next when the southwestern winds blow across the Great Divide.

There are many in Chicago that have no idea what a Chinook even is... There are many in the east that haven't a clue about how warm it can get on the eastern slope of the Rockies in the middle of winter.

The only month that really gets cold in Great Falls, is February.... and yes, though we get winter storm warnings in the first week of June sometimes, and it snows a little, we find that the snow goes away in just a few hours and the afternoon temps are 70.

Same with October.... sure, it can get a little crisp after the sun goes down, but our days usually range in temps of 50 to 60 degrees.

There are no real seasonal horror stories to speak of in Montana, this is all normal stuff. We plant the Petunias a few weeks before Mothers Day, and on some occasions, they last up till the middle week of November.

The summers in western Montana, are for the most part, very short. They get 3 good months of sun, and the rest is gloom, fog, and air pollution.

But western Montana only accounts for a bit over one quarter of the entire state.

There are plenty of other great places in Montana that has mountains and trees, and much longer growing seasons, where winter is chased out of the valleys at the end of March, and doesn't return until middle November.

I'll ask that you not let a couple of disgruntled transplants, or folks that don't even live here, sway your opinion of Montana. Investigate, research, and discover "all" of Montana, before you write us off entirely.

I've enjoyed my life living here immensely over the years. I couldn't imagine ever living anywhere else.
I've lived in Missoula, for years, and after I grew up, I decided that it just wasn't my cup of tea, and moved to Great Falls..... I have absolutely no desire to ever leave.
My wife, originally from Texas, loves it here more than she ever thought she would.

I think that living in Montana, or any where else for that matter, is more of a mindset, than it is anything else.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 06-21-2007 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 29,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
I've been here all of my life, and have never had much trouble with the winters.

Granted, winters in Missoula and Kalispell are longer, as a rule because of their locations, winter in these places can be rather dark, long and depressing actually.

I've gone to town in the middle of December w/out a jacket, and have been sunburned in January.

Montana, as far as the weather, is no different in than any other typical northern tier state.

Winters all across the north can be wet, cold and miserable, regardless of whether you live in Washington, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, or even Montana.

Missoula and Kalispell are just two of the many hundreds of places in Montana.
The weather in Kalispell is extremely different than, let's say, Billings, or Great Falls.

Eastern slope environments are special places in the winter.
The Cascades in Washington and the Rockies in Montana both provide for moderate weather conditions in the winter because of the downsloping air... moving air creates friction in the atmosphere, thus resulting in warmer climates in the winter. We call them Chinooks. The temp may be 30 degrees one day and 50 the next when the southwestern winds blow across the Great Divide.

There are many in Chicago that have no idea what a Chinook even is... There are many in the east that haven't a clue about how warm it can get on the eastern slope of the Rockies in the middle of winter.

The only month that really gets cold in Great Falls, is February.... and yes, though we get winter storm warnings in the first week of June sometimes, and it snows a little, we find that the snow goes away in just a few hours and the afternoon temps are 70.

Same with October.... sure, it can get a little crisp after the sun goes down, but our days usually range in temps of 50 to 60 degrees.

There are no real seasonal horror stories to speak of in Montana, this is all normal stuff. We plant the Petunias a few weeks before Mothers Day, and on some occasions, they last up till the middle week of November.

The summers in western Montana, are for the most part, very short. They get 3 good months of sun, and the rest is gloom, fog, and air pollution.

But western Montana only accounts for a bit over one quarter of the entire state.

There are plenty of other great places in Montana that has mountains and trees, and much longer growing seasons, where winter is chased out of the valleys at the end of March, and doesn't return until middle November.

I'll ask that you not let a couple of disgruntled transplants, or folks that don't even live here, sway your opinion of Montana. Investigate, research, and discover "all" of Montana, before you write us off entirely.

I've enjoyed my life living here immensely over the years. I couldn't imagine ever living anywhere else.
I've lived in Missoula, for years, and after I grew up, I decided that it just wasn't my cup of tea, and moved to Great Falls..... I have absolutely no desire to ever leave.
My wife, originally from Texas, loves it here more than she ever thought she would.

I think that living in Montana, or any where else for that matter, is more of a mindset, than it is anything else.
Thanks for some positive information. Great Falls is sounding like a great place to start researching first!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:39 PM

15 posts, read 51,856 times
Oddly enough, I thought we missed winter here this year. Are we talking about the same place? I only remember one storm between January and March, the one around presidents day. 9 months of winter, bring it on, the forest fires are much more brutal than the cold weather. The high elevation snow this spring was a huge blessing without it we would be looking for our own hands in front of our faces choking from wildfire smoke. Not to mention the streamflows and where they would be right now without it.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisia rediviva View Post
Oddly enough, I thought we missed winter here this year. Are we talking about the same place? I only remember one storm between January and March, the one around presidents day. 9 months of winter, bring it on, the forest fires are much more brutal than the cold weather. The high elevation snow this spring was a huge blessing without it we would be looking for our own hands in front of our faces choking from wildfire smoke. Not to mention the streamflows and where they would be right now without it.
How about the weeks of inversions where you didn't see the sun at all? I didn't miss the snow I plowed off the drive all winter long or the ice on the roads. Wasn't a winter like '96 but it was still winter to be sure!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM

174 posts, read 940,676 times
Talking MT in the blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post

GiftShoppeGuy, I think we might have chatted before. I was moving over to Spokane. And I did. And I hate it! We were just back hiking and visiting the Bitterroot and making plans to go back to MT, somewhere! We still have stuff in storage in Florence so may end up back in that area. But you are SO right about MT being a mindset. It also gets in a person's blood. The whole family was near tears driving back to Spokane yesterday. I reserved the UHaul for August and we are going back home, one way or another! The lifestyle here is NOT for me or the kids. No job is worth living in a way contrary to a person's values and life joys.

Patti

Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 24,889 times
Hi,
there is a website on the internet called " craigslist.com ". There you can find jobs and houses from all over the US. It might be of some help for you.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM

70 posts, read 330,144 times
Default Wow, it's like you're my evil twin... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Angela,
No, I don't enjoy it here anymore and am leaving. The cold tears me up and the schools here are horrible,not to mention the "good 'ole boy" network is alive and well here. The final straw is 9 months of winter!

Wow, see, I'm the opposite... I adore Montana. I have lived here since I was six, and while I thought it was boring and redneck for a long time, I can't stand the thought of leaving it now.

The schools don't all suck... it depends on where you are in the state. I'm in the Bitterroot (waaay western), and the Stevensville and Corvallis school districts aren't bad at all, plus Hamilton has a great arts program. Granted, you're not going to find wonderful private prep schools out here, but hey. It's worth it.

I find it interesting that you think of the "good 'ole boy" network as a bad thing... I love it. Small-town life where everyone is a little bit country is just right for me. It all just comes down to personal preference; I can't live without those nine months of winter!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
Wow, see, I'm the opposite... I adore Montana. I have lived here since I was six, and while I thought it was boring and redneck for a long time, I can't stand the thought of leaving it now.

The schools don't all suck... it depends on where you are in the state. I'm in the Bitterroot (waaay western), and the Stevensville and Corvallis school districts aren't bad at all, plus Hamilton has a great arts program. Granted, you're not going to find wonderful private prep schools out here, but hey. It's worth it.

I find it interesting that you think of the "good 'ole boy" network as a bad thing... I love it. Small-town life where everyone is a little bit country is just right for me. It all just comes down to personal preference; I can't live without those nine months of winter!
Carolina,
There are things about MT that I do like it's just the things I don't have outwieghed them. The thing about the "good old boy" network running things is they do what is good for them and theirs and to heck with what is right for the most part. By right I mean right and wrong, not just what I think is right. Like the school (I think in the bitterroot) where the coaches took a bus load of kids and bought beer (and let them drink) on the way back from an event. Did they get fired? Are you kidding, heck no.... Maybe I missed something in the story or it was not reported correctly but I don't think so.

I have soooo many stories of things have been done that would curl your toes but that "good old boy" net just keeps on humming along. That's fine, the nice part is I moved here of my own accord and blame no one but myself if I allow it to affect me and mine any longer. As for boring and redneck, I have no problem with redneck,lived around many in the south for long while and as for boring, it is for me because I am unable to enjoy this place during the long winters but the summer is usually awsome!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:36 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisia rediviva View Post
9 months of winter, bring it on, the forest fires are much more brutal than the cold weather.
Nine months of winter would be a welcome change from 8 months of summer heat and humidity that I "enjoy" now! A heat index of 106 in March is just absurd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana