U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 74,536 times

Advertisements

We are RVing from Spokane, east through ID and into MT Oct 18-26.

We want to get a look at some of the small towns and scenery. We are considering locating to MT in a few years down the road. We'd like to get a feel for the area.

We are thinking about taking I90 east into MT, up to Kalispell, North to Whitefish, North to Rexford , then Yaak, ( circling around ) South to Troy, Heron, Thompson Falls, back onto I90 to Wallace.

Basically we are making one huge circle. Also, the area mentioned, does it give a realistic feel for what the rest of Western MT is like? We are interested in moving to western MT, with great mountain scenery and lots of snow.

How realistic is this? We will be Rving in a 23' v8 motorhome. Will road conditions permit us? How much snow can we expect this time of year?

ARE BEARS HIBERNATING? We own guns, should we bring one for protection when out on the trails/wilderness?

Any neat sites along the way that are worth stopping for that we should know about?

One last question...

Can you pull off the highway and just camp out overnight or do you need to be in a designated rv park or state park?

We are brand new to all of this. thanks for any input and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,050,795 times
I can't answer your RV specific questions. At that time of the year snow is a distinct possibility. Probably not very deep, but possible. I wouldn't be to worried about bears. Just make plenty of noise while hiking and handle food appropriately. They'll leave you alone.

Suggestion: If you are doing a big loop from Spokane, why not come back via Kalispell to Sandpoint, then down HWY 95 to Coeur D'Alene? You might find you like North Idaho as much as Western MT. I don't think it will take any longer.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Sorry about the double post, I don't know how to delete the other one

Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post

Suggestion: If you are doing a big loop from Spokane, why not come back via Kalispell to Sandpoint, then down HWY 95 to Coeur D'Alene? You might find you like North Idaho as much as Western MT. I don't think it will take any longer.

We might, but we did want to check out Heron to Thompson Falls and all towns in between, We are assuming that area is a scenic valley range?

Is it not worth the drive?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerduePro View Post
We might, but we did want to check out Heron to Thompson Falls and all towns in between, We are assuming that area is a scenic valley range?

Is it not worth the drive?
Honestly? It is all nice, and very scenic. You'll find the Idaho side is a bit greener, with more lakes.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,565,759 times
My sister & her husband retired to T. Falls about 4 years ago and they absolutely love it there. They had a home built right across the river from town. They have a lovely view, wildlife around, and beautiful weather. They really like the people of the town, too. You really shouldn't miss checking it out as well as Trout Creek to the north of there.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,358,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerduePro View Post
We are RVing from Spokane, east through ID and into MT Oct 18-26.

We want to get a look at some of the small towns and scenery. We are considering locating to MT in a few years down the road. We'd like to get a feel for the area.

We are thinking about taking I90 east into MT, up to Kalispell, North to Whitefish, North to Rexford , then Yaak, ( circling around ) South to Troy, Heron, Thompson Falls, back onto I90 to Wallace.

Basically we are making one huge circle. Also, the area mentioned, does it give a realistic feel for what the rest of Western MT is like? We are interested in moving to western MT, with great mountain scenery and lots of snow.

How realistic is this? We will be Rving in a 23' v8 motorhome. Will road conditions permit us? How much snow can we expect this time of year?

ARE BEARS HIBERNATING? We own guns, should we bring one for protection when out on the trails/wilderness?

Any neat sites along the way that are worth stopping for that we should know about?

One last question...

Can you pull off the highway and just camp out overnight or do you need to be in a designated rv park or state park?

We are brand new to all of this. thanks for any input and suggestions
Don't be sorry for the time of year. A lot of folks can't choose exatly when the best chance would be so they have to choose when is best for them. I really think you'lll find out more then you bargained for. I.E. IS snow prevalent at that time? Is it a concern? I think anybody moving to Montan should experience a bad winter, and then make a decision.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,565,041 times
I used to own 40 acres on Blue Slide Road just west of Thompson Falls.
The Clark Fork river and the forests create lovely scenery.
Stop at the Ross Creek giant cedars state park near Troy to see something unique.

Do use designated campgrounds for overnight camping.

As to your question about whether it is like the rest of Montana, although western Montana has the forests and mountains of the Rockies,
no, Kalispell and Thompson Falls are not typical of ALL of Montana, as most of the state is the flatter and drier eastern plains.

The Thompson Falls area is more like northern Idaho. If you settle there, be prepared to do some of your shopping in Sandpoint, Idaho, for things not stocked in the local small towns.

Enjoy the trip, take winter coats and gloves in case it snows. It is the lowest Montana elevation near Troy, and the large body of water in the Clark Fork makes the climate actually what climatologists call a "Pacific maritime climate" in that canyon as the river flows from Montana into Idaho.

Oh, and keep a camera ready in case you see Sasquatch ;-).
BFRO Media Article 563

Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,565,041 times
Oh, and when you see yellow trees in the forest, don't think they are diseased. They are Tamaracks (western Larch), and they will grow new green needles in the spring after dropping needles in the fall.

Tamarack

Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for all of the great input.

Speaking of trees....

For some reason we're fascinated with an area that has evergreen trees such as spruce or hemlock.

Does NW Montana's " pacific marine climate " have what we're looking for?

What is the average Dec/Jan snowfall near Thompson Falls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana