U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM

105 posts, read 295,863 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good area to move to in montana.I am a warehouse supervisor at the largest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa, we currently own 35 shops in 5 different states and are buying more everyday.
I have 10 years experience in management and 7 years operating a forklift but i am moving out of arizona in 2008 because this is definitely the armpit of america.I move here in 2002 to become a Harley Davidson technician and met the love of my life but we are waiting until 2008 when her oldest daughter to graduate before we move, so i am stuck in this god forsaken place for another year.
I came from northern wisconsin, small town life and i miss it alot but i dont want to leave my wife to do it, so i am just waiting patiently until next year.
We are looking for a small town with no walmarts or snobby people that think they are better than you with their bmw's and $500,000 houses.I miss the small town life and my wife would like to start a small general store for the locals and campers to be able to get the basic supplies.
If there is a walmart in town we dont want to be there, but would like to be 15-45 miles from a town where we can find what we need, like a job or shopping.I am lookig for any advice on towns to live in and any information on good companies to hookup with that need warehouse supervisors that dont require me to speak a foreign langauge.I speak english and dont want to go back to school to learn a different language.I have 3 gollege degrees and im 41 years old and can manage just about any kind of crew.
appreciate any kind of advice you can give.
Dan k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 PM

495 posts, read 365,088 times
Hey there's a big Harley shop in Missoula, but the way people hang on to any decent job around here that they do happen to get..........well you'd probably have to shoot someone there just to create a job opening.

Special note to 'moderator'..............."shoot someone" IS A JOKE, a figure of speech,

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

thank you on th job in missoula,i talked to them 3 years ago and they are offering half the money i make as a supervisor.If i would have known how much you make starting out as a tech i wouldnt have gone to school.I am looking at starting my own shop eventually as soon as we get settled wherever we end up.
I found that warehouse workers make about $10 per hour to start and most harley shops start at $8 and then you change oil until one of the other techs quits.
Thank you anyways

Old 06-21-2007, 06:19 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
You might have something with starting your own shop. Right now (at least in the flathead) Harley shop has a monopoly and I was just talking to someone I know who was looking for someone to do a tear down,rebuild and remodel of her lowrider and she said that she would not take it to Harley due to how long it would take and costs. The one other person who does that stuff here from what I hear is good but hard to deal with and way backed up. I bet if you started a shop that covered accessories and leather as well as service you would do well. I used to go to a shop that carried leathers but would get any part you needed (they had stacks of catalogs) at 10% over cost. They didn't stock a lot of parts but within a week would have what you wanted at a fair price.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

thanks jimj you have been alot of help on so many things.This is what i miss the most about people from the north, they are willing to help.
Thank you

Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 AM

No problem, what's neat here is that you can run a shop out of your house if you want to. There are a lot of people who buy a few acres and build a house and a shop (in the county) and run various business's out of them. I used to have a '64 pan head and would look for the small shops to buy parts and do work since they usually did it faster, had lower prices for labor and were more willing to help you in an emergency (like when I had a generator gear explode in the case) than the Harley shop. If you were willing to do rice rockets and possibly atv's I don't see how you could lose! After having dealt with the various shops in this valley I think some more competition is sorely needed. Good luck!!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 PM

15 posts, read 47,514 times
Don't move to the Flathead, Bozeman, Missoula or the Bitterroot if you are looking to get away from snobby rich people, they have taken over these parts. Especially Whitefish and Bozo areas. Helena is getting that way too. Dillon comes to mind but it is small, the price of housing much lower, I don't know how many bikers are around there. I would assume if you could tap into Butte, Anaconda markets possibly enough. I don't know though.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisia rediviva View Post
Don't move to the Flathead, Bozeman, Missoula or the Bitterroot if you are looking to get away from snobby rich people, they have taken over these parts. Especially Whitefish and Bozo areas. Helena is getting that way too. Dillon comes to mind but it is small, the price of housing much lower, I don't know how many bikers are around there. I would assume if you could tap into Butte, Anaconda markets possibly enough. I don't know though.
Oh I don't think the "snobby rich" have taken over the flathead unless you are referring to people who have more money than the guys with "will work for food signs" or, if middle class or upper middle class is snobby rich to you. I will give you that Aspenfish has become quite expensive in places and the town itself has become quite trendy but I don't think you can paint the whole county with that broad a brush and I think it is wrong to do so. If there are things about an area that are not to ones taste one should list them and let the reader make their own conclusion.

Take winters for example, I don't like weeks and weeks of inversions and cold for months on end, some might but to me the winters are long and can be hard.

When someone is thinking of opening a busiuness for bike repair you would need the clients that own those bikes in enough volume to make money. Than means that Dillon is probably out since it's population is low (as you stated) and I am guessing that a Harley is not high on the priority list there.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 124,382 times
I dont understand why people say that this group or that group are taking over and we dont want outsiders here and the snoby rich blaa blaa blaa but in the same breath they say theres no good jobs here dont forget all of us didnt come here to change your way of life we came to fit in and lead our on life and when we come it brings better paying jobs to the market,before I came I did the research and in the last 5 years the job market has increased as well as the pay scale in the flathead for skilled people

Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 47,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjblue View Post
I dont understand why people say that this group or that group are taking over and we dont want outsiders here and the snoby rich blaa blaa blaa but in the same breath they say theres no good jobs here dont forget all of us didnt come here to change your way of life we came to fit in and lead our on life and when we come it brings better paying jobs to the market,before I came I did the research and in the last 5 years the job market has increased as well as the pay scale in the flathead for skilled people
I neither said I didn't want outsiders here nor did I say there are no good jobs here, nor would I disagree at all with the fact that incomes have risen with growth, they have. There has been an extremely high distrubution of wealth that has moved into these areas and even Missoula has turned from a hippie town to yuppie town. The wealth in and of itself doesn't bother me with the exception of Whitefish where they do treat each other differently but the gentleman specifically is looking to avoid what these areas have become and quite frankly these areas have gotten that way. Undeniably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or