U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,890 times

Advertisements

Hello! I wanted to ask a few questions about this particular area if any have an answer, i plan on taking maybe a 2 week vacation in montana, im a backpacker but grizzlies dont seem to intrigue me. So iv'e decided to just primitive camp. I found this area while googling it's in the flathead national forest theres a town called hungry horse just before the reservoir, and thats my destination. Theres numerous trails going down the west and east side of the reservoir, my question is are these 4x4 trails and are they accessible? I have a dinky 95 pathfinder suv thats what i plan on taking god knows if itll make it lol. I couldnt find any maps or information i needed around this area, most of the trails seem to designate natl forest development rds but im not quite sure what that means. One rd in particular if any one has knowledge about is the forest service rd 381? I just want to 4x4 deep in the woods find a spot with some solitude and no federal agents buzzing my ears. If anyone has knowledge of this area i would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,784,584 times
Many of those old logging roads and skid trails are now closed to motorized travel. When you get to Hungry Horse, find the forest headquarters and get the current map that shows road closures.
I picked one up last year, and found that I can no longer drive to my favorite camping/fishing spot!
Quite disgusting!
Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Default Quintonkin Creek Road (381)

Flathead National forest road # 381 should be open to the end but that area is not all that scenic and you should be happy to see rangers out and about in the far corners of the forest. They are there to catch poachers and tree thieves. You have to be doing something wrong to be bothered by them.
Anyone driving the Hungry Horse Reservoir road should make sure they have a good spare tire and all the tools to change it and watch out for the drunk teenagers in huge pickup trucks in your side of the road on blind corners speeding. By the way the fishing at graves bay is good and the east side road may be closed for conduit replacements during this summer.

By the way I'm not sure if this crazy ass hiking event (link below) has been approved yet or not but if so the participants will have sore legs if they complete this hike. They will be devoured by black-flies and mosquitoes too.
Forest road #381 (Quintonkon creek road) is mentioned as being a point on the route.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/flathead/nep...inal_w_map.pdf

Old 07-09-2010, 05:08 AM

160 posts, read 234,151 times
Default Swan Rangers

Rickers,

I don't know if you followed the Swan 100 pre-race buildup. Keith Hammer and his band of wing nuts called the Swan Rangers threatened to sue the Forest Service over it. They said the race would disrupt grizzly bears? This is a foot race. Mind you Keith's group has weekly hikes into the same area. Total hypocrites. There has been some backlash so far over it. It hope it continues.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Keith Hammer huh ? Well I guess I should go get "Vinnie" or "Monte" or both and let them "Hammer" him a bit. They enjoy pounding on jerks who deserve it, good practice and cheaper than repeatedly replacing punching bags !
Just joking but I do not like hypocrites or hippiecrats either.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
......and watch out for the drunk teenagers in huge pickup trucks in your side of the road on blind corners speeding. By the way the fishing at graves bay is good and the east side road may be closed for conduit replacements during this summer.
Ya.... some sob about took out my trailer last year coming around a bend on the W side ! I would have most likely ended up going over the "edge" and down a hundred feet to the res if he would have bumped the trailer....

Every time I go by Graves Bay it is packed with people all fighting for a spot on the rocks to fish from.... I just shake my head and b-line to "my" fishing spot where there is usually no one around and I don't get time to fish much because I'm too busy dealing with the 16"-18" Cutthroats the wife and kids catch non stop. If I'm lucky and get mad enough at them they'll stop fishing for a minute and let me catch one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana