U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

I am going to be a sophmore in college next year, and I am considering living with my aunt in Missoula montana and go to the University of Montana. I have lived in Texas all my life and went to school at OBU in Shawnee oklahoma. I am worried about the weather there, because I can not stand cold weather. I also am wondering how the college kids from california or wherever take the weather up there. Is missoula and the University of Montana worth the cold weather or should I consider moving somewhere south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,965,725 times
Missoula's about 20-30 degrees colder in the winter than what you're probably used to. Expect about 40-60 inches of snow a year (only a bit more than Boston or Chicago since it's dry in MT). If you think you can handle that, then definitely make the move.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times
nymtman, do you live here or is it just family that does?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,965,725 times
Family lives in MT; I lived in MT for several years although I've since moved.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM

15 posts, read 47,565 times
UofM is a great school. Missoula gets very little snowfall in the valley during the winter and the weather is warm enough that the valley sees very little snowpack that stays much more than a day or two after the storm. Most of the snow falls and remains in the mountains around the town. Missoula is built within an old glacial lakebed and it's elevation at the benchmark on campus is actually sea level. Due to the lower elevation late November to mid February will bring some inversions, where the cold air gets trapped in the valley and the temperature is actually higher up in the mountains. These days can also be cloudy and gloomy down low. From February on the weather is very mild compared to the rest of the state and I think you would get used to it pretty quickly. Most of the inversions were caused by pollution factors that have been and are actively being remediated so Missoula actually gets far fewer of these anymore. The only thing to watch out for are the infamous " hellgate winds " these rip through campus during the winter and are pretty chilly. But I wouldn't let it stop you, try it for a year you can always transfer, but I don't think you will.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:32 PM

15 posts, read 47,565 times
Also, oddly enough, most of the really cold weather occurs concurrently with the Christmas break at the University. If you plan on visiting home during this you would probably miss most of it anyway. You would only need to be concerned if you were renting out a home and were leaving it vacant during this time, in which case you would want to make sure you left things to prevent pipes from freezing. Sounds much worse than it is, many of us Griz actually rode bikes for transportation all but 3 or 4 days out of the year. If you like recreation this is a great place.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM

70 posts, read 301,120 times
Default Worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca from texas View Post
I am going to be a sophmore in college next year, and I am considering living with my aunt in Missoula montana and go to the University of Montana. I have lived in Texas all my life and went to school at OBU in Shawnee oklahoma. I am worried about the weather there, because I can not stand cold weather. I also am wondering how the college kids from california or wherever take the weather up there. Is missoula and the University of Montana worth the cold weather or should I consider moving somewhere south?
Missoula and UM are totally worth the weather. The city is vibrant and friendly, and thoroughly livable and enjoyable.

A friend of mine from Claremont, CA, is starting her senior year at UM. She is fine with the weather here, and so are most people. If you have a coat for winter, everything will be fine. The winters aren't as brutal as people make them out to be.

While the city does get some snow, the streets and sidewalks are well cleared, and it tends not to be a problem. Missoula is in the Banana Belt of Montana, so if you're looking for a warm place up north, this is it. Also, we get a chinook wind or three every winter, and those are a nice relief. You should be fine.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times
Yes, a nice coat for winter, that is all you need to stay warm in the bannana belt of Montana, you betcha! It never gets below 0 here, in fact it is rare that it gets below 30 in the winter since this is the bannana belt and all, and those lovely winds (a light breeze really) are so refreashingly cool on those balmy winter days, no need to worry about wind chill here.
It is great, you never have to scrape ice off the car or warm it up, and don't worry about winter driving since the little snow that Missoula gets is picked up promptly or melts within the hour.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,908,399 times
Hi I am Rickers, a newby to this board but not to Montana. The reply before this by jimj is not exactly true. Historical climate data shows that about half of the year (180 days) have low daily temperatures below freezing and it does get below zero in the winter in Missoula at least once almost every winter for a short period. It got down to 33 degrees below zero in 1957 (Record).

Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM

737 posts, read 2,846,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hi I am Rickers, a newby to this board but not to Montana. The reply before this by jimj is not exactly true. Historical climate data shows that about half of the year (180 days) have low daily temperatures below freezing and it does get below zero in the winter in Missoula at least once almost every winter for a short period. It got down to 33 degrees below zero in 1957 (Record).

I think Jimj was being sarcastic in his reply ....at least that's what I read into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana