Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The secular-progressive-liberal is always the first to declare "let's not use ad hominem attacks" in our discussion; but, all too often, they are the first to turn to ad hominem attacks when they are losing the argument.
There have actually been some surveys and smalltime research in that area. Turns out that's so about 80% of the time, which agrees with my experience (and yours as well, evidently).

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Wink Monorail ?

So will it be standard or narrow gauge ? Hey I heard that they were planning a high speed monorail line from the Flathead Valley to Portland Oregon just to funnel the liberals out.
We're just joking with you Roy there is room for everyone here.

Wanna go fishing ?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
So will it be standard or narrow gauge ? Hey I heard that they were planning a high speed monorail line from the Flathead Valley to Portland Oregon just to funnel the liberals out.
We're just joking with you Roy there is room for everyone here.

Wanna go fishing ?
Now Rickers, make sure your knife is sharp before you go cuttin' up that bait.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM

189 posts, read 335,497 times
Just don't try to convince anyone on gun control. You'll probably get laughed at - by Democrats and Republicans alike.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny roy View Post
Will I be run out of town if I voice my liberal views in Flathead Valley? I can keep my mouth shut, but I find that most conservatives can't, and thats when I come out swinging!
The problem is that most leftist views tend to focus on control:

1) You should pay more taxes to help the poor
2) You should give the state the authority to regulate your energy supply and your showerhead (the latest from the Obama administration).
3) The state should have a right to mandate that you buy healthcare (or make you pay taxes to buy it for everyone else).
4) You cannot have a gun unless X.
5) You must accept homosexuals or else X.
6) You must not swim in this river to save X.
7) You should pay higher taxes to protect us from X benign gas.
8) You should pay a tax for your fuel-inefficient vehicle. Or you should pay a tax to subsidize X fuel-efficient vehicle made for young faux-hipsters with no kids, no farm equipment, and no snow.

Conservatives on the whole are about deregulation. So when you come into a conservative area and start talking about figuratively putting in fences and crimping lifestyles, they understandably get a little hacked. I don't even own a gun, but I've been tempted when I've heard some fool go babbling about gun control (because it's worked....sooooo....well in Chicago and DC).

Most stayed here or moved to Montana to stay or get away from it all, particularly authoritarianism. They don't want some beurocrat who has never held a private sector job in his life yammering about how they can micromanage theirs. Seeing the Imperial Forces in Washington DC with their long tentacles and endless appetite for some new government program or regulation is the last thing most want.

So run you out of town? I doubt it. Conservatives, as stated earlier, tend to be more laissez-faire. Accept you? That's a whole other issue.

I've personally found I value my individual liberty too much and put too much weight on personal accountability to become great friends with outspoken liberals. My left-leaning bud who never gets riled up about much, well, I just make fun of him relentlessly.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
From PowerLineBlog.com (http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2010/08/026898.php: - broken link)

Yesterday (July 31), I (Paul Mirengoff) claimed that, while liberatarian (sic) candidates like Rand Paul are uncomfortable with "fudging" their views, liberal candidates seem quite willing to fudge their beliefs in order to gain office. An email from one of my favorite Power Line correspondents, Scott Smith, prompts me to suggest the following explanation for the difference: liberals think their ideology makes them, above all, morally superior; libertarians think their ideology makes them, above all, intellectually superior.

Moral superiority, for many who feel it, is not compromised by deceptive statements made in the name of gaining the power to "do good." But intellectual superiority is compromised by any statement that is incorrect or intellectually lazy.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 22,211 times
OP, sometimes the best way to disagree is by keeping your mouth shut.

Regarding the political polarity that seems prevalent on this board (as on most), just a quick heads up with respect to future arguments - everyone is wrong but me.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,407 times
<------ This guy has been wrong more times than anyone... but you know what?? That's how a person really learns..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRizzy141 View Post
...with respect to future arguments - everyone is wrong but me.
"All the world is strange save thee and me, and even thou art a little strange."
-- Robert Owen (1771-1858)

Last edited by Reziac; 08-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: slight misquote to get around the junk filter

Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
"All the world is strange save thee and me, and even thou art a little strange."
-- Robert Owen (1771-1858)
The rules of the forum flog my fingers once again... I tried to rep you for this one, but was unable too... At least I can make a public acknowledgment of my approval and give you and old fashioned "heck yeah"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana