U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,314 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Montana but I have no idea where. I'm a single Father of two and Id like to have at least 20 acres and a house on the edge of the city limit for $200,000 or less. What's the best place for families. The town I live in now is very friendly everyone waves at each other. Theirs a Christian College here and it's a dry town. Any places come to mind in Montana that are like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:44 PM

138 posts, read 419,406 times
Ya gotta be kidding- for a livable place??

Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM

2,787 posts, read 3,660,770 times
there are plenty of places in eastern montana where you can find what you're looking for for 200k or less.once you get west of livingston things really start to go up.within a 50 or 60 mile radius of billings there are plenty of small acreages with ok houses.this is also true around great falls.the western parts of the state,which most feel are more scenic,are pretty much priced out of your range.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:08 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,954,451 times
No dry towns though.... this is Montana we're talking about

Old 06-25-2007, 05:55 AM

25 posts, read 94,430 times
200,000... um...

Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Anaconda,Philipsburg around the Granite valley. Work may be a challenge though.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:12 PM

15 posts, read 47,510 times
What are you going to do with 20 acres? It's too small to derive a decent farming income from and too big to maintain as a yard. I don't know of anywhere you can buy 20 acres with a house in Montana, not any that would have the water rights to maintain it, or on the edge of town for that kind of money. You could find some recreational ( no water, power, ambulance,fire, police services) up on some mountain somewhere and then the closest place of gathering would undoubtedly be a bar not a church or not necessarily the one of your worship choice. unfortunately you can barely buy a condo for this in many parts of Montana.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:24 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Lightbulb Less expensive are available for those who look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisia rediviva View Post
What are you going to do with 20 acres? It's too small to derive a decent farming income from and too big to maintain as a yard. I don't know of anywhere you can buy 20 acres with a house in Montana, not any that would have the water rights to maintain it, or on the edge of town for that kind of money. You could find some recreational ( no water, power, ambulance,fire, police services) up on some mountain somewhere and then the closest place of gathering would undoubtedly be a bar not a church or not necessarily the one of your worship choice. unfortunately you can barely buy a condo for this in many parts of Montana.
Hmm, I found four just in Anaconda, here's one:
$200,0003 Bed, 2 Bath1,647 Sq. Ft.
20.36 Acres Single Family Property, Area: 7-W of Rocker to Ana, Approximately 20.36 acre(s), Year Built: 2003, Spa/hot tub(s)
Seemed to me it had water,power to run the HOT TUB and a 3 car garage.

There are more in different places in MT. While some places have become expensive to live it is not indicative of the whole state. Property around the resort towns and bigger cities has risen higher than the rest of the state but there are still less expensive properties available away from the area's above.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM

70 posts, read 300,563 times
Default You contradict yourself

I hate to say this... but you can't really get anything nice in MT for 200k anymore, especially 20 acres. If you want something that inexpensive, you're looking at eastern MT, and that's no fun.

I can tell you from experience that western MT is home to many friendly people, as well as a very large Christian and evangelical community. Religion here is a big deal. Thinking about something on the edge of city limits... I'm thinking maybe Frenchtown would do you well (about 15 mins. out of Missoula), or possibly Lolo (other end of Missoula, still about 15 mins. out). Frenchtown is probably a little more inexpensive, but it's still getting pricy here as people keep flowing in.

There are a few towns a little farther from Missoula that would be more inexpensive, such as Bonner, Alberton, and Huson; but these towns are kind of your stereotypical redneck villages (lots of trailers, a little dirty, etc.). If you can't stand the redneck element, I suggest Lolo, although you will be paying for it.

Additionally, Missoula (as a city) has some fantastic schools; Hellgate High in particular is outstanding. I suggest Missoula only because it is a nicer city than Billings (IMHO) and the public schools are better. The job market in Missoula is pretty healthy as well. And in the whole valley, people are extremely friendly. Driving home from Missoula, at least five or ten people I have never met in my life wave and smile. It makes you feel good.

Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
Here ya go. www.jerrybolandrealter.com/listing/014/014.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana