Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting:

Preservation Cascade, Inc.
and the associated case study,
Section 4(f) Case Study: Historic Tenth Street Bridge, Great Falls, Montana

What other historical sites are out there that might not be common knowledge, or that might need help toward being preserved? (I don't think I'll ever forgive them for demolishing the Big Stack. Or the old brewery for that matter.)

Here's a list of bridges -- I hadn't realised the Fort Benton bridge was that old!!
List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Montana - Wikipedia

(What about the one that's on the back way from Willow Creek to Three Forks? I'm trying to remember if it's a covered bridge or not, tho I do recall the wooden bridge bed which struck me as rather old even 35 years ago. Seems I only went over it at night so I don't have a clear mental image of it.)

Some more sites, just in Cascade County:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Cascade County, Montana - Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Many folks here in Great Falls think that the time, effort and especially money spent on the Tenth Street Bridge is and continues to be a complete waste.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM

I think turning such things into tourist attractions is the wasteful part. Indeed, one might argue that it damages or even invalidates their historical value when they're altered to be tourist-magnets. I'd also hazard that this is the part that spends the most money, and probably never really makes up for itself.

But preserving our history is never a waste -- you don't always know what you're losing until it's too late. Its significance may not be seen by the current generation... sometimes you have to get perspective to see historical value. Did anyone in 100AD (other than perhaps a handful of fanatic Hebrew elders) think Masada was more than a local eyesore and nuisance, best demolished ASAP??

The first cabin built in Great Falls is a shack by modern standards, but does that mean preserving it is a waste? it probably seemed so when it was deteriorating into a tumbledown shanty. But I think we need these reminders of our past, and of how we built our world.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,256 times
Offhand I am thinking of the Rialto Theater in Deer Lodge -- neat old Art Deco structure that was gutted by fire a few years ago. Come to think of it I think the old Penitentiary in Deer Lodge should also qualify as a place to be preserved for historic significance -- it's rather in shabby shape. And speaking of bridges, what happened to the old bridge over the Bitterroot going into Hamilton on Hwy 93? I remember reading that a local group was trying to preserve it, but I'm not sure what happened with the road reconstruction and all.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM

I'm not familiar with Deer Lodge myself (I never spent much time over there) but those sound like two good prospects. Is that State Pen different from this place? Old Prison Museum

<goes off, roots around> Seems great minds think alike:
Deer Lodge Rialto
I read elsewhere that it had been totally restored, then sadly burned in 2006.

Here's another site listing historic bridges -- apparently there are "bridgespotters" just like there are "trainspotters"!
Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Recent Montana Updates
However, I didn't find any info about its preservation status.

What about the high train trestle on the NE corner of Bozeman? Is it still there? It had partially burned at some point in the past but was still in use when I lived there... along with the trains, we starving students often used it as a shortcut to get over into the hills for a day of tramping about the landscape. Way easier than clear down one side of the hill and trudging back up the other, through all that thick brush. Great view too.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM

163 posts, read 584,097 times
Prison is one in the same.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Cool, looks like the prison is covered, then. Those old facilities sure had more character. Of course, they were probably more full of characters, too.

Come to mention it... what other historic jails are in MT, other than the obvious ones like in Virginia City?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,256 times
This is cool...

Ancient bison kill site uncovered on Blackfeet Indian Reservation

Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM

163 posts, read 584,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Cool, looks like the prison is covered, then. Those old facilities sure had more character. Of course, they were probably more full of characters, too.

Come to mention it... what other historic jails are in MT, other than the obvious ones like in Virginia City?
The jail in Bannack is still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana