U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,032 times

Advertisements

Well, I have finally had enough of this awful state of CA! actually it is not the state it is the government and the people who follow like lambs to the slaughter. I am in the process of interviewing for a job in Helena. We come from the central valley of CA so conservative values, farming and ranching are a way of life here, but getting strangled because of the water wars and the over the top environmentalists.

We have 6 kids, 5 boys, 1 girl. They are very typical boys and need a lot of space to roam and play, can't get more than in MT right? They like to shoot, fish, camp, ride dirt bikes, play in the dirt and bark at the moon (if we would let them).

We live in an area where we are fortunate to have one of the only school districts that is not signatory to the teachers unions, the district and the teachers are fairly conservative, and they happen to be one of the highest performing districts in the country.

The kids are very much into sports and such, how are the athletic programs? specifically, do they have swim, waterpolo, track, CC? wrestling? unfortunately the boys are not much into playing school football, just the occasional mud bowl, and turkey bowl. Do they have a laptop program in the high schools? how are the math and English programs? The district and school websites are not that great at relaying much information. Which schools are best? What areas of town and the outlying areas do they draw from?

My oldest is wondering of it is possible there, as it is here, to take classes at the local college for credit while he is still in high school as he has most of his requisites already completed for graduation.

What is the home rental market like? As we will have to short sale our home here as we have lost 200k plus on our home, and that puts us out of the running for a bit to buy a home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh weather wise, I actually heard it was bit milder, (just as cold in the winter, but not as much snow, and not as warm in the summer) than the Rexburg, ID area where my wife and I spent considerable time. Any truth to that?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,887,553 times
Hi and welcome to the forum
Here is an older thread to get you started
Helena

Here are some temperature tables
Climate Information for Helena*-*Montana*-*Rocky Mountains*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Will you be looking for work? Keep posting.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
The stats say that Helena and Rexburg are about even on most of the weather conditions you mentioned (winter cold, summer heat and snowfall) but the snowfall sticks around a lot longer in Rexburg.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,032 times
Thanks, MT-& and NW Crow,

I am in the interviewing process for a position in the utility/Construction field.

I have to admit that I am a bit apprehensive, I have been to Montana a number of times, in fact have family and friends that have lived in Lewistown for generations and have visted them many times. I did some work in the three forks area, but nothing for any lenght of time. AND my wife actually had a boyfriend who's family lives in townsend! (she said that this is really weird that we could be possible moving to that area!?)

My wife is game for anything, as long as a she has a heated garage so her car is not frozen when she needs to take the kids to school...

Any idea what the house rental market is like? I see lots of houses for sale, but can't find hardly anything for rent. We will need a rather big house to rent ( 4 bed +) for a while until I can qualify for another mortrgage after having to short sale here in CA.

any beads on a Houses for rent? the name of a good property managment co?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM

65 posts, read 187,967 times
Try www.helenir.com. This is the Helena newspaper on line. May give you house rental info you need.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Helenair.com leads to this page for rental houses http://www.helenahomegallery.com/adm...nished_houses/
There are currently 5 listings for 4-5 bedroom houses priced at between $1000-1400 per month. Jefferson City is about 15 miles south. Montana City about 5 miles south. Townsend 30 miles to the southeast. The one near Fox Ridge Golf Course looks to be 5-8 miles NE of town.

It does appear that there are some opportunities to take courses for dual credit. This page has some info and a phone number Learning Opportunities for High School Students - The University of Montana - Helena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana