U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,716,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Likely more practical, for sure. As you say moving takes so much out of you, trying to vacation at the same time can be counterproductive. "What do you mean, we're supposed to go view this tourist trap today? We could make 400 miles down the Interstate instead!"

I agree with your mom, it'd be better to set up a vacation at your leisure, rather than just trying to hit a couple high spots in passing.
I was looking at elevation maps of Montana, Wyoming, AND South Dakota... and, looking at the route we'd be taking, maybe it wouldn't be completely undoable, but it might get hairy with a rig nonetheless. lol Even a small one. Why stress ourselves out?

We're just doing the normal route and swinging down through LaCrosse. I calculated the mileage at the Rand McNally website and it won't really add any mileage at all to swing down through there, even if it visibly appears we're looping out of the way. It would've been more mileage to do the South Dakota thing. Would still love to see more of South Dakota and Wyoming, but it'll have to be another time... without a trailer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:42 PM

369 posts, read 1,300,908 times
It's not a bad road at all; not much traffic and leads you to the Original Entrance to Yellowstone National Park at Gardiner. Paradise Valley along the Yellowstone River South of Livingston is one of the most beautiful drives in America.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
It's not a bad road at all; not much traffic and leads you to the Original Entrance to Yellowstone National Park at Gardiner. Paradise Valley along the Yellowstone River South of Livingston is one of the most beautiful drives in America.
Except they're lookin' at the part south from Great Falls through Monarch, which by my lights is a mite steep and crooked for hauling a trailer with a light rig.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you, but we're definitely doing east toward Lewistown instead. Whether we'll continue on 200 through Jordan, or whether we'll go down through Roundup, then onto the freeway, I don't know.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM

369 posts, read 1,300,908 times
Be advised that Highway 200 from Great Falls to Jordan is very narrow in places and very much up and down. Just drove it from Richey a week or so ago. Certainly passable but not a fun drive. Don't recall where you are going, but Highway 2, further North, is better.

Last edited by grizzfan; 09-08-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Complete the thought

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Be advised that Highway 200 from Great Falls to Jordan is very narrow in places and very much up and down. Just drove it from Richey a week or so ago. Certainly passable but not a fun drive.
I know it. That's why I'm contemplating cutting through Roundup then onto the freeway. But I've only taken that route once, by bus. I wasn't driving. I don't remember if it's much better.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Way back about 1962 we took Hwy 200 all the way east, and I forget if it was Circle or Jordan, but in one of 'em the pavement came to an end at the edge of town, the road was gravel through town, and the pavement started up again on the other side!

Anyway, to my recollection the best N/S cutoff road is by way of Roundup. Friend with a big van once experimented with the next-most-westerly N/S route, and had some truly cussworthy comments about the road!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM

24 posts, read 52,270 times
Be advised that highway 200 going the Winnett, Jordan, Circle route is rather trailer unfriendly. I've navigated it a couple of times pulling a light ball hitch trailer and made it ok, but there are a few stretches that are so rough that I could swear that I was going to tear the hitch off the trailer.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM

247 posts, read 499,472 times
89 south from belt to white sulphur springs is beautiful and a good road in the summer... I lived in white sulphur springs off and on most of my life... I have lived in every state west of the mississippi... but white sulphur springs is where we called home when I was growing up... My family was transient for 20 years... my little sister tracy, is the girl Kristen Stewart portrayed in the movie Into The Wild...And on page 44 of the book talks about tracy and two tramps my mom and dad...

Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
89 south from belt to white sulphur springs is beautiful and a good road in the summer... I lived in white sulphur springs off and on most of my life... I have lived in every state west of the mississippi... but white sulphur springs is where we called home when I was growing up... My family was transient for 20 years... my little sister tracy, is the girl Kristen Stewart portrayed in the movie Into The Wild...And on page 44 of the book talks about tracy and two tramps my mom and dad...
That's quite a chunk of Real Life. We meet the most interesting people on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana