Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,514 times

Advertisements

I might be considering a job offer in Columbia Falls, MT and I have read quite a few comments and would like to know if there is any racial descrimination or hate crime in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I would say, very few in numbers.

White alone - 3,454 (94.8%)
Hispanic - 67 (1.8%)
Two or more races - 46 (1.3%)
American alone - 45 (1.2%)
Asian alone - 18 (0.5%)
Black alone - 9 (0.2%)
Other race alone - 5 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1 (0.03%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...s-Montana.html

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
The only way to find out how you'll be treated is to see for yourself. I'm not black, but I've never felt slighted in Montana (the same can't be said for some more diverse places).

Just live your life with your head up. The racists are the ones who have to live with themselves everyday.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
There are a bunch of threads on the topic here already -- but it boils down to no one truly cares if you're black, white, green, or plaid. What they do care is if you're a good person or an idiot. Good people fit in everywhere. Folks may be startled to see a black face, being how it's pretty rare in MT, and in today's politically-correct climate, they may be unsure how to react so as to avoid giving offense. Just be your friendly self and pretty soon they'll be friendly back.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
As long as I've been here I've only ran into a handful of colored people. And 4 out of those 5 were probably tourists ! There are a "few" around and I believe they are accepted completely. No, no hate crimes, at least I've never heard of any in the time I've been here..... but their are some Hatfield and McCoy type neighbors around if you want to consider that hate crime material. But that is everywhere though.

The local sentiment is not racist..... IMO ! People here just live their lives. If you would do essentially the same, you would be welcomed without issue and get to know some great people. Now with that said..... if you were to come into town with your pants around your knees, radio cranked to 90 decibels rattling windows everywhere you go, sporting a pimped out loud ride and being obnoxious all the time...... Heads would be turning for sure and I reserve the right to change my opinion of the tone in that local sentiment at some point in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana