U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

181 posts, read 501,444 times
Default Visiting Montana this coming week

Well finally my husband and i are getting to visit Montana, coming up this week to get a good look of the beauty there. My brother has a vacation home in West Yelowstone that he build over the last six years. I am so excited to be able to take pictures again of something different then the front yard.
He just got there yesterday with some family friends and...and...and our 89 year old mom. She didn't think she would be making this trip again.
Anyways we will be looking around for possiblies for future plans.

Last edited by Lmasters; 09-21-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,921,785 times
No offense, and you might be very nice people, however a lot of the local areas problems are caused by Californians with vacation homes in Montana. It's this kind of thing that had made it really tough for locals to be able to afford property. This kind of thing almost completely wrecked Gallatin County for the locals.

Luckily the recession has slowed the flow of California money into the area, and send a lot of the developers fleeing the area, like the locusts they were, to go on to exploit someone else's hometown.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmasters View Post
Well finally my husband and i are getting to visit Montana, coming up this week to get a good look of the beauty there. My brother has a vacation home in West Yelowstone that he build over the last six years. I am so excited to be able to take pictures again of something different then the front yard.
He just got there yesterday with some family friends and...and...and our 89 year old mom. She didn't think she would be making this trip again.
Anyways we will be looking around for possiblies for future plans.
Have a good time. Enjoy Montana, take pics, and support the local economy. And good for your mom, being able to travel. Don't worry about being met with anti-CA attitudes--they only seem to flourish on this forum.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM

6,044 posts, read 6,083,846 times
^ Yuppers ~♥~

Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Even I have friends from CA, but truth be told I cringe when I see those red and white license plates. A town I spent about 7 years in, in CO grew from about 5,000 to about 350,000 in 10 years, and the stats were that over 200,000 were from CA. So I guess I'm a bit of a "statecist" because of that.

On the same note, I hope that your mom has a good visit! Just lost my grandmother who was about the same age, and was very thankful that we made a recent trip to see her.

Sorry to be a bugger about this... but please consider the locals before buying up property... Enjoy the trip!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM

363 posts, read 508,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I cringe when I see those red and white license plates
Idaho, Ohio and Florida too

Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM

A bit of a misprint in my above post. The stats above were for the County, not the town.. But the town did grow from about 300 when I was first there to 43,750 in 2008. Sad. I will continue to fight development in Montana so that the same thing doesn't happen here, or at least delay it as much as possible.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

181 posts, read 501,444 times
Well we got to see a lot in the southern part of montana. We even drove out to Virginia city and Nevada City and loved it so much. We saw West yellowstone park but i notice it was not tourist friendly. Drove for two hours before getting to the visitor's center. This may of had something to do with it being free the day we went and they didn't hand out any maps. Wasn't to impress with the surface part of the park by car. Kind of boring. As far as California license plates??? we rented a car from Idaho Falls. And as far as being from California????West Yellowstone has people from all over the country....why would they raise there nose to that??? and living in Montana from California???they want my brother to be the governor there.......He happens to be a very liked person even if he is from California, so i'm not sure where you get your information. I found no problem getting along with people there.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:03 PM

18 posts, read 16,902 times
Quote:
Well we got to see a lot in the southern part of montana. We even drove out to Virginia city and Nevada City and loved it so much. We saw West yellowstone park but i notice it was not tourist friendly. Drove for two hours before getting to the visitor's center. This may of had something to do with it being free the day we went and they didn't hand out any maps. Wasn't to impress with the surface part of the park by car. Kind of boring. As far as California license plates??? we rented a car from Idaho Falls. And as far as being from California????West Yellowstone has people from all over the country....why would they raise there nose to that??? and living in Montana from California???they want my brother to be the governor there.......He happens to be a very liked person even if he is from California, so i'm not sure where you get your information. I found no problem getting along with people there.
For the most part, I think the people living in Montana respond to those visiting or moving there in the same manner in which they are treated by the outsider. We have visited Montana numerous times with our California plates and have NEVER been treated poorly by anyone. I too am sometimes surprised at the resentment toward Californians (although I admit well deserved in most cases, okay 99.9% of the time) because most of the newcomers that we've come across in the last few years have been from the east coast. I have heard locals (people living there 30 years or longer) complain about those from the east coast more often than any other group. I suppose that Californians started the trend. Not that it matters where anyone comes from - it's the overall demeanor of that individual and the behavior they display when they arrive. If you arrive acting like a jerk I'm sure you'll be treated as such by the decent people of Montana no matter what license plate is on your vehicle.

Last edited by lyfs2short; 09-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: I type like a two year old - typo

Old 09-30-2010, 05:22 PM

451 posts, read 457,444 times
Quote:

Glad you got to see some of the scenery. Next time you're in Montana, try to get a little further West and then North - worth the time and effort.

mg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana