Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times

Advertisements

Forgot to add that they still haven't figured out how to keep the poison in the Pit from rising. A couple decades from now when that pit overflows, say bye-bye to Butte....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 AM

16 posts, read 47,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
the snobs who make insulting remarks about it obviously have no knowledge of it.
Simply incorrect. I am also a native and can assure you that for every outstanding individual you may meet there will be at least two others who are one step away from spending a week in jail for yet another inane action. The town is drenched in booze and corruption and is easily one of the most depressing places to live in the country.

Trust me, there are far better places to reside in MT.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM

8 posts, read 32,061 times
Default EWWW Butte

I've lived 35 of my 40 years in Montana and sorry to say I wouldn't live in Butte if someone paid me a million dollars. It's not that the people aren't friendly or hardworking, I just feel like with the size and beauty that Montana offers, there are many other better choices of places to live. I do have friends there and they love their town, but boy...I give them props...Butte is UGLY!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 44,316 times
Interesting that the orignal post-er hasn't been seen again in the discussion.

One interesting point is the low level of chain retail and restaurants in one of Montana's largest cities. I can see why its that way and there are many valid points made in this thread.

Butte is our closest "big" town opportunity but it affords very little recreation or metro creature comfort.

On schools, I have heard many stories and from those alone wouldn't want to put my kids there.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Butte is the place for shopping 3 bears walmart and quality supply come to mind. Anaconda area is great for living.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,806 times
Default I Loved Living in Butte, MT

I think if you ask someone if they liked living in the garden of eden -- you would find someone people who hated it and some people who loved it. My experience -- and I haved lived in several different states -- is that there will always be things you like better where you moved from and things you love where you moved to.

The schools in Butte are better than where I in previously lived. My daughter was in both the public and private school in Butte.

When I first visited I wanted nothing to do with the uptown area of Butte but after renting a house in the flats for a year I bought a house in uptown and loved it. I would definitely rent before buying so that you know where you want to live.

People in Butte overall are extremely friendly and helpful. I made more friends while there then anywhere else I have lived.

There is not a lot of shopping -- although I miss Herbergers --

The water does not taste terrible and it passes all the government requirements. I challenge anyone to do some research and you will find pollution all around us no matter where you live.

Butte is a great place for raising children because with a non-existent commute you get to spend a lot of time with them. Time with your children is the most valuable thing we have.

We have been gone from Butte almost a year and there are many things I still miss and can't wait to get an opportunity to visit.

Sure there are a lot of bars but no one says you have to go to them! Check out in any town how many drinking establishments are around -- if you want to find something bad or good about a town you will.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButteLover View Post
I think if you ask someone if they liked living in the garden of eden -- you would find someone people who hated it and some people who loved it. My experience -- and I haved lived in several different states -- is that there will always be things you like better where you moved from and things you love where you moved to.

The schools in Butte are better than where I in previously lived. My daughter was in both the public and private school in Butte.

When I first visited I wanted nothing to do with the uptown area of Butte but after renting a house in the flats for a year I bought a house in uptown and loved it. I would definitely rent before buying so that you know where you want to live.

People in Butte overall are extremely friendly and helpful. I made more friends while there then anywhere else I have lived.

There is not a lot of shopping -- although I miss Herbergers --

The water does not taste terrible and it passes all the government requirements. I challenge anyone to do some research and you will find pollution all around us no matter where you live.

Butte is a great place for raising children because with a non-existent commute you get to spend a lot of time with them. Time with your children is the most valuable thing we have.

We have been gone from Butte almost a year and there are many things I still miss and can't wait to get an opportunity to visit.

Sure there are a lot of bars but no one says you have to go to them! Check out in any town how many drinking establishments are around -- if you want to find something bad or good about a town you will.
We usually head into Butte on sundays when we are up there, we take the dogs and stroll around the uptown area and window shop. The area just has a feel to it that is hard to describe looking at the old named buildings and such.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,916 times
I'm from Santa Barbara and while on a trip through Montana, my boyfriend and I decided to stop in Butte and stay the night. He is a thrift shop picker and we figured Butte might be ideal for that sort of thing. We made a reservation at a historic hotel, walked around the hood, returned to the room and packed up. Honest to god truth -- fortunately, the woman at the reservation desk was very kind and returned our money.

We loved Montana as a whole - Butte was morbidly depressing.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:19 PM

242 posts, read 276,239 times
In what way was it morbidly depressing??!

It looks like it has character to me.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,064 times
If you're going to endure Montana winters and similar privations, why not move somewhere like Whitefish next to Glacier Park and amazing natural wonders? You can still drive 20 minutes and get to Costco, Target, Wal-mart, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana