Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

I believe Butte is the largest Superfund site in the United States. Look at EPA.gov site for a list & map.

Rule 1 unless you are an enrolled tribal member do not live on an Indian reservation.
Rule 2 do not live in a Superfund site area... Libby, Butte.
Rule 3 do not live year round where overcast winters are the norm unless you like gray all winter, these are best as summer only areas...Flathead, Missoula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I believe Butte is the largest Superfund site in the United States. Look at EPA.gov site for a list & map.

Rule 1 unless you are an enrolled tribal member do not live on an Indian reservation.
Rule 2 do not live in a Superfund site area... Libby, Butte.
Rule 3 do not live year round where overcast winters are the norm unless you like gray all winter, these are best as summer only areas...Flathead, Missoula.
Of course if you want to live in Butte like surroundings without the Superfund designation there's always Ronan...

Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Of course if you want to live in Butte like surroundings without the Superfund designation there's always Ronan...
Refer to Rule No.1.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Butte is my hometown and I have an attachment to it. It's true that it's not the most attractive city in Montana but I still think it does have some things going for it. Lately Butte has been growing somewhat and the economy is better than in the past. The newest part of Butte is out on the "flats" as they call it. The uptown area is the oldest part of town and much of it is in bad shape. I think it's a shame that developers don't realize that historic towns can become commercially successfull. I live in Arizona now and the old mining town of Bisbee which is similar to Butte in many ways has become a tourist attraction because they made the best of the historical buildings and landmarks and created a very interesting place to visit. Butte has a very interesting history and the snobs who make insulting remarks about it obviously have no knowledge of it.

Sure, but people go to Bisbee from all over the western USA to enjoy the nice winters. Not so in Butte, the weather can be quite awful. Hoping the ten-day forecast holds into the 15-day for St. Patricks Day. Froze my butt off last year.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsteve View Post
Butte really is quite a nasty place for those who don't drink at least 5 times per week.

Well, the population is mostly Irish, so...

Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,350 times
Two things before I give my two cents; I am not a Butte native, and I went in blind. Take those how you will.

In the beginning of 2014, I had just recently finished a stint in Job Corps. I felt that it hadn't quite given me what I needed though, so I decided to try college again.

My brother was going to Montana Tech and needed a roommate, so I decided to join him.

My father took me to Butte a few times to visit the college, see the city, and look at the student apartment housing before I moved here. Before my first time in the city, I knew absolutely nothing about Butte beyond its funny name, but the first time I saw this horrific, crumbling heap, something inside of me died. My first thought was "what kind of depressing pit is this that I am going to be spending years living in?"

It is now 2018. My attempt at Montana Tech didn't work out, and so I began to just work and live. Time has not dulled the horror of this place. It is an eyesore, devoid of any opportunities for good jobs or recreation. There is literally nothing to do in this town. Most of the people here drink to drown out their misery. Something inexplicable about this city depresses me and saps my energy. I choose to stay inside with my cats as much as possible so I don't have to look at the place.

Oh, and I don't give a damn about Butte's "rich history" or it's "friendly, hard working" people. How does any of that Change the fact that Butte's very existence is an unholy assault on one's sense of sight? How does any of that change the horrible job market? How does any of that make up for the fact that there are no opportunities at all for recreation?

Butte is ugly, dying, and devoid of meaningful opportunities of any kind. Run. Run far far away. Do not come near this abomination! I'm currently working 50-60 hours a week to build a moving fund and get the hell out. I am by nature lazy, but I'm working that many hours because I'd prefer to get out of here as fast as humanly possible. That's how bad it is here.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Holy zombie thread Batman! Those boys mentioned in the original post are probably long out of high school by now.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I attended MT Tech. Spent 5 years in Butte. That's 5 years of my life I'll never get back. At least I have a degree to show for it.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:37 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
well, the population is mostly irish, so...
lmao...:d

Old 04-05-2018, 10:39 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndak15 View Post
holy zombie thread batman! Those boys mentioned in the original post are probably long out of high school by now.

lol.....:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana