Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

We cut 60 acres of hay with a farmall cub and an A using sickle bar mowers, used an old hay rake and a John Deere square baler (forget the model off hand).. Worked fine.. Good equipment is good equipment. Newer stuff is faster, but we were not in too much a hurry..

Say- looks like a two row corn drill in that pile.. I cracked 5 acres of virgin ground where my old church was in WV and planted three varieties of sweetcorn with an old two row planter.... She popped those seeds like a brand new drill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We cut 60 acres of hay with a farmall cub and an A using sickle bar mowers, used an old hay rake and a John Deere square baler (forget the model off hand).. Worked fine.. Good equipment is good equipment. Newer stuff is faster, but we were not in too much a hurry..

Say- looks like a two row corn drill in that pile.. I cracked 5 acres of virgin ground where my old church was in WV and planted three varieties of sweetcorn with an old two row planter.... She popped those seeds like a brand new drill
Yes, it's a 2 row planter. Would want to pull that with a single horse as it's not hard to pull and a team tears up too much territory.

There's 3 working mowers in that pile. 2 #7 McCormick Deerings and 1 #9 McCormick Deering.

We cut hay on peoples land around here that want it cleaned up. Right next to us is a guy that has 4 acres and nothing on it but a shop that he stores stuff in. So there's a 2 track road out to the shop, the rest is all good grass.

Then there's another spot in town that a guy has 3.5 acres (IN town) and we clean that up. Last year, we cut with a windrower, raked with my 4 wheeler and then brought in a round bailer. This year we hope to cut, rake with the team and then bale with the big round baler. Also we hope to pick up some more stuff to cut. I think once they see us doing it with a team other people will step forward.

Also, we do 40 acres East of town about 3 miles. Matter of fact, it's on the place we were yesterday that has all that equipment. He's got a lot of stuff down there. I'm dealing with him now for a D19 Allis (Diesel, 66hp) with a farm hand on it. He's got 3 heads for the farmhand (hay bucker, grapple and a bucket) and he's got a 3 bottom plow (That model allis has a swing hitch which is differnt and doesn't take a standard plow). So far I've got him widdled down to $3500 for it. Oh, and it's got brand new tires on the back. Tires have less then 50 hours on them.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM

My friend got two cuttings a year on that Timothy hay in WV. Used to carry my Stevens .22lr/410 and pop squirrels along the tree rows in that field, lol.

Those old cubs and Farmalls were very quiet machines. Just the put-put of the 4cyl engine and the sound of cutter. Very relaxing (except I had the original pan seat with no back- that kind of sucked after a couple hours).

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My friend got two cuttings a year on that Timothy hay in WV. Used to carry my Stevens .22lr/410 and pop squirrels along the tree rows in that field, lol.

Those old cubs and Farmalls were very quiet machines. Just the put-put of the 4cyl engine and the sound of cutter. Very relaxing (except I had the original pan seat with no back- that kind of sucked after a couple hours).
Yeah, I know what you mean. I grew up on a Super C. It was an original, painted White. It was a Demo model. Originally come with a narrow front end but we took it off and put a ford twin I-Beam on it including the leaf springs. Made for an excellent ride while mowing. Liked it so much, we took the front off our Super M and put a Ford truck front end under it and used it for stacking and bucking hay. Both drove like a dream and rode nice with the leaf springs. No backs on either one. Come to think of it, none of our seats had backs. G-Poppin Johnny, little Allis, and the two Internationals.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Oh EH you and my father would have had some kind of talks...He had much of the equipment, out of necessity, not a collector. That would mean that I have actually used much of it. Kept me out of trouble. I could have a boy visit if I was cutting hay, he could help as my father wisely suggested..

I love the photos of the wagon, Timber really is a dog for all seasons.

Sad to add that one of my beloved dashies had to be put down today.
Down to just one, the oldest who is 12. The ice this winter was just too much for the other' back. He had been dragging his hind quarters with no improvement for two weeks.
We sat in the sun together for a while this morning then went into town. Hubs got off early and went with me.
Difficult but the suffering is over.
Please someone remind me not to look at any puppies

Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM

So sorry to hear that Seven, it's always tough to loose a pet. I almost passed up on Timber because of memories of my last dog. Didn't want to do that again.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM

This is tough and unforgiving country for small dogs. Of course my Dachshunds want to live up to their German name. Badger Dog
I knew life would be hard for all three of them but they have really had a taste of what they were originally made for. They all became great at prairie dog hunting, digging the critters out and massacring them. Their favorite summer snack was fat grasshoppers. I always have had to be on hawk watch when we were out walking..
I still have one and he will be slow on the go. But I am sure hubs will make him fat as ever with all the treats.
Don't worry EH, hubs is looking at a new hunting dog.
Me? I am sticking with fish...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM

When I was in the hospital for that long period of time, I got to where I was asking the nurses a trivia question each day. They got a real kick out of it. It got to where my doctor would ask me, "What's the trivia question today?"

So one day, the doctor came in and asked what it was for today. I said, "What are weiner dogs bred for?" He thought about it for a minute. Nurses started gathering behind him. Finally he says, "To go down in holes to get critters out, like prairie dogs and such." I said, "Nope." He said, "To go after foxes and such." I said "Nope." Finally he gave up and said, "What are weiner dogs bred for?" I said, "To get more weiner dogs." He never lived that down. The nurses constantly ribbed him about that.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks EH.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Sorry about the dog, really am.. We lost a few Basenji's over the past couple years and it's always hard.. Our last Basenji just lost an eye due to a freak illness.. Sucks to be a sight hound with only half your sight..

Here's a pic of the old Farmall A I have.. It was a few years ago, but me and the boy had fun mowing on her. We restored her to a good condition too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana