Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's why we're looking at some old equipment. Want to put up some hay this summer so it's not so expensive this winter. We're paying $60 a ton (33 bales) for small squares that are 70% alfalfa.
Sheeeee... if I had horses it'd be worth the drive to get hay, even with diesel at damnear $5/gallon. Here horse hay is as high as $22 PER BALE, and it's whatever quality you can get. 100 lb. bales but still, that's $440/ton!!!!!! Local feed store has hay at $20/bale and a 25-bales-per-day limit, it's that "good" of a deal and that hard to get right now. Pumping water got so expensive, the only crop you can make money on here now is hay, and everything else is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Sheeeee... if I had horses it'd be worth the drive to get hay, even with diesel at damnear $5/gallon. Here horse hay is as high as $22 PER BALE, and it's whatever quality you can get. 100 lb. bales but still, that's $440/ton!!!!!! Local feed store has hay at $20/bale and a 25-bales-per-day limit, it's that "good" of a deal and that hard to get right now. Pumping water got so expensive, the only crop you can make money on here now is hay, and everything else is gone.
You'd want certified, weed free, hay. That hay can be used in National Forest and can also be transported across state lines. That runs between $7-$8 a bale for 80-100lb bales. That's still half of what you're paying out there.

Hay is a lot cheaper for big rounds. Can get them for $50 a bale. Now, the price I quoted before, along with the large bale price is price for you to go out in the field or stack yard and load it yourself. But still,..... 33 bales to a ton takes about 40 minutes to load 3 ton. Course, it's a lot different story for the big bales. A little tougher to load by hand.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Oh EH you and my father would have had some kind of talks...He had much of the equipment, out of necessity, not a collector. That would mean that I have actually used much of it. Kept me out of trouble. I could have a boy visit if I was cutting hay, he could help as my father wisely suggested..

I love the photos of the wagon, Timber really is a dog for all seasons.

Sad to add that one of my beloved dashies had to be put down today.
Down to just one, the oldest who is 12. The ice this winter was just too much for the other' back. He had been dragging his hind quarters with no improvement for two weeks.
We sat in the sun together for a while this morning then went into town. Hubs got off early and went with me.
Difficult but the suffering is over.
Please someone remind me not to look at any puppies
So sorry to hear about your dachshund. As you know, I have two of them myself. I gave them extra hugs and kisses this morning. They are so dear to us! Such huge personalities in such a small dog. I know a guy in Havre who has 6 or so English Setters and one miniature dachshund. His doxie goes everywhere with him - on his snowplow, tucked into his coat while he is snowmobiling, goes fishing with him, just everywhere. It is his first doxie and he loves her so much!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Thanks Popcorn, a I am suffering with a batch of homemade caramel buns...
However I understand the man/dashie bond. Hubs is quiet fond of them in a (no body is looking) way. They do have quite the personality. A Good portion of the one who lost his leg's problem was he thought he had to be on any thing mechanical that was moving...
But the birds are singing and the worry and suffering is over so life moves on.
Still not looking at any puppies (7 is repeating this mantra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
So sorry to hear about your dachshund. As you know, I have two of them myself. I gave them extra hugs and kisses this morning. They are so dear to us! Such huge personalities in such a small dog. I know a guy in Havre who has 6 or so English Setters and one miniature dachshund. His doxie goes everywhere with him - on his snowplow, tucked into his coat while he is snowmobiling, goes fishing with him, just everywhere. It is his first doxie and he loves her so much!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM

It be raining outside. Good day to take a nap, then clean the cabin, maybe take a nap, do some laundry and then take a nap.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You'd want certified, weed free, hay. That hay can be used in National Forest and can also be transported across state lines. That runs between $7-$8 a bale for 80-100lb bales. That's still half of what you're paying out there.
You could send me bales of weeds and they'd still probably be better hay than some I've seen...

There's a guy growing what looks like switchgrass over on the east side of town, it's kinda like milo but without the seedhead. Real coarse stuff. Dunno what it's going for, maybe over to the dairy. Switchgrass is usually grown for biomass fuel but that's hardly practical around here, cost you more to ship it to a plant than it's worth.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Wind hit 67 MPH last night, off and on for three hours. About time we got enough wind to notice again!! Time to get rid of some tumbleweeds.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Nap would be good but have to earn a living.
Funny you mentioned wind, yesterday evening we were having a beautiful sunset when this little dark cloud came over us and the wind hit hurricane for about 5 minutes. I was looking for a lightening bolt. LOL...
Montana weather, wait 5 minutes.....

Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM

Coffee's on. This morning it's:

Oatmeal
Side pork (true side pork)
Eggs sunny side up (3 or 4 cause I'm hungry)
Home made biscuits with butter and blackberry jelly
some grapefruit slices
6 or 8 more cups of coffee

Still raining down here but is supposed to become intermittent today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 65. Was going to drive the 4 wheeler into town for my doctors appointment, but with this rain and cold in the morning, I think I'll have to drive the truck one last time.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM

salt your eggs EH

Well now we are maybe getting some snow this weekend. At least we had a nice Easter...
As long as the ice is gone I am a happy camper but I do feel for the farmers trying to seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana