Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times

Advertisements

I posted more pictures of the flooding in an album in my profile.

NOAA expects this flooding to go until after the 4th of July. Oh goodie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Coffee's on.

What a wonderful summer day ( 43°F ). Birds are singing, frogs are croaking, ducks are qwacking and I can actually see the gravel in my driveway sticking up above the water!

This year, summer is scheduled on the 7th of July, from 1 til 3pm.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM

8,084 posts, read 15,099,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
This year, summer is scheduled on the 7th of July, from 1 til 3pm.
Seems a little tight for Construction Season, don't it??

<looks at pictures> Welcome to beautiful Lake Ranchester!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM

448 posts, read 1,067,168 times
EH, are you sure? can I quote you on that?????

Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 PM

19,551 posts, read 22,434,789 times
Me and my son loaded up the canoe for a float from Gates of the Mountains to Coulter campground or a little beyond. Fishing along the way and camping overnight, maybe 8-10 miles and then back. Well, about 3/4 mile into the canyon Saturday morning was a *BOOM*, and a crack of lightning.

Turn around, row back, black skies above. No good to be in a canoe, on the water in a thunderboomer.

So we got out, loaded up the truck and headed north to Holter Lake and the campgrounds around there. We stayed at Log Gulch- a really nice spot. We put in in the afternoon but again thwarted by billowing thunderheads and lightning. So we fished from shore- nothing Saturday evening.

Had a nice evening at the campsite, talked a little, hit the sack and got up early and hit the lake when it was calm in the a.m.. We only managed two trout, but they were both pretty nice. Zach got his while slow trolling on micro tackle, so that was a fun little fight for him. Maybe a 20-21" rainbow.

You could tell there was a strong current the closer you got to the middle of the lake. The creeks along Wolf Creek were high, and below the dam was really running.

I'm kinda glad we didn't go thru the canyon. Trying to get back might have been tough in a canoe.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM

I see you've experienced Montana's Instant Thunderstorms... literally come up in a matter of minutes from a clear blue sky. Usually caused by some yokel planning a picnic, or perhaps a fishing trip.

We had a special talent for causing them in July in Great Falls... all it took was a big family picnic down at Riverside Park. We'd get it all set up in the fine July sunshine, start the burgers cooking, then from out of nowhere -- giant storm clouds, lightning, thunder, and hail!!

And about the time we got everything packed up and run back to the car, it would quit, and be all blue sky and innocence.

I swear, there's a weather devil in Montana, who "enjoys" our outings far too much!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Who said something about there not being a fire season this year, on account it never dried out?

Slave Lake, Alberta - wildfire came in and got a third of the town -- this is city hall going up in smoke:
CTV.ca | News Photo Gallery - Slave Lake, Alberta: May 15, 2011 (http://edmonton.ctv.ca/gallery/html/edm_slavelake_gallery_051611/photo_0.html - broken link)
Photos: Slave Lake fire devastation

NASA photos:
NASA - Slave Lake Fire and Many Others in Alberta, Canada

Arizona is busy that way right now, too.

All that water is gonna grow a powerful lot of brushy fuel for next fire season...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Coffee's on.

Took a drive yesterday to see what is causing this flooding. Went up 14 to 14A and this is what I found.

There are more pictures in my album.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e-14-2011.html

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM

6,748 posts, read 8,527,429 times
My father and I drove up on the eastern side of the Crazy Mountains on Saturday, June 11, and I have not seen that much snow up there in YEARS!! Looks more like the early '70s. According to the locals in Clyde Park, the Crazys have 300% of normal snowpack for this time of year.

In the late 60s the snowpack would never leave the Bridgers all summer and I can remember as a little kid being kind of scared the first time the snow actually melted off them around 1974.

All I know is, it is very white up on the mountains, and Great Falls is trying to pick up and get ready for the next hit as the Sun River could hit them again.

My parents and older relatives told me this is more how the spring runoffs used to be in the 50's and 60's, just a normal part of the cycle.

I was in Helena in 1982 when the big flood that broke the dam at ASARCO blew and tore out 150 feet of rail bed. Big difference this year is there are a lot more people in the valley now then there was then so the flooding appears worse, when it wasn't even record levels.

Still stinks though. My next door neighbor still has a pump running in her basement.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM

Yeah, when I was a kid, there were always parts of the mountains that kept their snow all summer. We've had it too easy the past couple decades, now it's more back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana