Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to an article in today's (Sunday, December 25), Great Falls Tribune, Homesteading the Hi-Line: National Geographic article features northern Montana history, the National Geographic article, "Hi-Line, Hard Life", features northern Montana history and will be in the January 2012 issue of National Geographic magazine, which goes on newsstands Dec. 27.

The Great Falls Tribune explains, "It explores the Homestead Act, passed in 1862, and the resolve it took to build a new life along Montana's Hi-Line during this time. (David) Quammen (the magazine article's author) describes the hype created by the government around the Homestead Act, and the realities the homesteaders encountered such as droughts and long winters."
Thanks for the heads up, been getting NG for decades, this one will be a keeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the neighbors

Hello neighbors, I want to wish for you each all that you hope for in the new year. There are many changes on the eastern side of the state. The oil boom looms large and many people here will not be ready for the coming change. My hope for the new year is that we as citizens come to understand that this means that your children will no longer be tied to the oil production of the middle east. That one day soon no longer will our men and women be sent there.
We will have true independence.
Peace to our posters, and visitors. Eat more Lefsa... Uff DA!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
With the year coming to a close, I've reached one of them there "Deelema's." We've had such a mild winter so far, and warmer then normal weeks, like this week (40+ degrees).

I have to find some place to go fishing. The River is froze over, but the ice is thin enough you can't walk on it. I tried fishing but my worm froze to death laying on top of the ice. I cast it out there and slowly brought it in, just like I always do and nothing. Not a single bite. Poor worm just bounced on top of the ice and then slowly slid back to me. Two, three times of that and the worm wouldn't move anymore. Can't catch trout unless the worm wiggles a bit.

If we would have had a normal fall/winter, the ice would have been thick enough to at least stand about a foot off the bank and bust a hole. I'm actually going to have to go up to the lake and drill a hole and do some normal ice fishing. Not looking forward to that.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
We have had an unusual lack of snow pack here in the Bozeman area. The paper published a photo of the walking trails on the east edge of town... the fields normally would be more covered with snow.
A lack of snow - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Wild Art

There is also more of a risk of avalanches because the snow is shallow and unstable.
Shallow, weak snow expected to increase avalanche danger this winter - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment

Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
We have had an unusual lack of snow pack here in the Bozeman area. The paper published a photo of the walking trails on the east edge of town... the fields normally would be more covered with snow.
A lack of snow - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Wild Art

There is also more of a risk of avalanches because the snow is shallow and unstable.
Shallow, weak snow expected to increase avalanche danger this winter - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment
I have the feeling, that about the second week of January is going to remedy the situation, as we know it. hahaha I think the temps are going to take a nose dive and when they do, it's going to start snowing.

We haven't had a heavy year in several years. We certainly haven't had extreme cold temps like we have from years ago. I keep track of the weather at my house, every day. I have it in a spreadsheet for the last 4 years. I'll go back through that and just see how many below zero days we had last year.

Ok, checked my records. Last year, we had 26 days of Below Zero at my Cabin. Last frost of last year was on June 4th. First frost this year was 28 Aug.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Hello neighbors, I want to wish for you each all that you hope for in the new year. There are many changes on the eastern side of the state. The oil boom looms large and many people here will not be ready for the coming change. My hope for the new year is that we as citizens come to understand that this means that your children will no longer be tied to the oil production of the middle east. That one day soon no longer will our men and women be sent there.
Can only hope for the above. We have the capabilities, technology but our government for what ever reason seems to think this country doesn't need jobs, border patrol unless we have more government and more taxes!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Unfortunately, at the last count, almost 90% of the oil from the Bakken is going to China. It won't always be so, but right now we are paying off a debt that I don't think we'll ever completely pay off. It's like trying to pay off credit card debt.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 AM

I know EH,
But we have got to get it together! Seven gets up on the box.....
We have to realize that we are caving as a nation. Look at the deperate men coming over here to work. People need jobs, we need fuel.
Steps down...
Getting ready for the new year, hubs and I have an anniversary in the mix of this holiday season and I am thankful for another year together
Good health neighbors, and joyful celebrations!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 AM

233 posts, read 543,360 times
Pretty nice being able to go for a long run in shorts in 40 degree weather in Bozeman. This global warming thingy does have it's up-side.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I was dreading this winter, and so far it has not been too bad. But, we still have January, feb, March, April. The snow is so bad I have not even bothered to go skiing. Maybe in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana