Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM

8,085 posts, read 15,105,261 times

Advertisements

Alternatively, you could tie a piece of twine to each wiper, run it through the wing window, and yank 'em back and forth as needed!

Yes, I once rode in a car that used this method... VW Bug owners of yesteryear were the most zen of nonmechanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,950,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
We have the pleasure of having to put a new windshield wiper motor in my wife's Mercury Sable today.
What fun, at least it's not dumping H2O today here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Alternatively, you could tie a piece of twine to each wiper, run it through the wing window, and yank 'em back and forth as needed!

Yes, I once rode in a car that used this method... VW Bug owners of yesteryear were the most zen of nonmechanics.
My first car had vacuum wipers. When you stepped on the gas, the wipers stopped. Go up a hill and they would either stop or seriously slow down. That was a 1955 Chevy. My first pickup truck had a drivers vacuum wiper, but the passenger had a handle and they would have to move it back and forth. Old Chevy pickup with a split windshield.

Not sure how the new vehicles are set up for wiper motors. I changed out one once and had to go up under the dash and there was a cable going from motor to each wiper. I replaced the motor and didn't wrap the cable the proper direction so now the windshield wipers moved together, which is not how the old chevy's worked. They had wipers that opposed movement. It was a heck of a chore figuring it out. Good luck on your replacement, hopefully the design is much better then yesteryear.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM

6,752 posts, read 8,534,016 times
LMAO!!
I have a 1966 Scout and a 1967 Scout, (Internationals) that have the vacuum wipers.

They aren't great at any time, but when you are trying to go up a hill they almost stop, but coming down the other side they really get to whipping!!

I have always been convinced that their perfomance is directly inverse to how much you need them to work

I had a 1980 Dodge pickup that I got caught in a bad blizzard near Harlowtown in when the wipers went out.
Luckily, they had a bar I could unhook under the dash, so the wife worked the wiper on the drivers side while I tried to see through the storm.

Wild ride

Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,950,865 times
I am getting very concerned, has anybody heard from MontanaGriz lately? It's not like him to be this quiet. Hope all is well and he's just busy with Hunting Season.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 AM

6,752 posts, read 8,534,016 times
I haven't heard from him either.

I used to catch one of his posts once in a while in the Guns/Hunting forum, but haven't seen anything there recently either.

I also hope he is well as he is a valuable asset to these forums, and I for one miss his posts.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

7,362 posts, read 12,607,780 times
Griz's profile says he was active this afternoon. I miss him, too.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 15,105,261 times
Are you sure it wasn't a zombie?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM

19,594 posts, read 22,468,853 times
Heading out of town for Thanksgiving. Passing by Elkhunters ground down to Estes Park CO.. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,941,169 times
Cool Rolling with the punches !

Bad news. Our new wiper motor still wouldn't fix the prob. Everyone told us we needed a new motor so we put one in. We apparently needed a new wiper switch on the steering column.
At least the dealer we bought our Mercury Sable from reimbursed us for the new parts.
The dealer told us to go to the courthouse to get Temp plates because they were lagging on getting us the title so we could register it in time.

Well time ran out so we went to the courthouse and took a number and waited an hour or so just to be told that we had to go back to the dealer and get "Dealer Plates". Crikey

Days like this makes me want to just stay home and mess around with the computers creating Silly
Images like the one below. The base photo was the last "harvest moon" we had in one of it's phases.

The world sure is going through a mess of phases right now and we kick back all safe and warm
in our homes looking forward to our "after the stuffing nap" following a day of "Thanksgiving Gluttony" !
Thanksgiving is one of the few of our holidays that hasn't been overly commercialized and perverted
beyond the holiday's real meaning. ~~~ Yet ! We have a lot to be thankful for, especially the fact that we live in Montana and not Palestine, Israel or some hard place like parts of Africa or Syria.

Yes we have a lot to be thankful for. ~♥~ ~♥~ Now I have to put a starter in our other rig.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,269,543 times
Just for you veterans...Montana has one of the nicest veterans homes I have ever seen, in Columbia Falls. Excellent staff. Modern, clean, and happy. The veterans are well taken care of and very happy. Nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana