Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,183 times

Advertisements

Sheet metal screws into the soles of the boots are the alaskan way, although I have a collection of cleaties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,892,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
Wow.. mom and I need some of those. $7 a pair!!! Thats a really really good price.
Mom had some but I wore them out. Guess maybe cause she wears a 7 and I wear a 10... I probably stretched them too much. And.. they were also given to her so we dont know how old they were.
But $7 dollars!!!!!
Do they do mail order?
I don't know. Having one right in town, I've never checked. Here's their website. There are 3 locations, one in Sheridan Wyoming and two in Billings Montana. They are like a tractor supply type store, only better. Clothes, silver, boots, sporting goods (best gun shop and actually has a better selection than any sporting goods store around here) and of course, the normal farm supply stuff.

Shipton's Big R | Branded with Quality

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,892,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Sheet metal screws into the soles of the boots are the alaskan way, although I have a collection of cleaties.
That's an outstanding idea. Works too I'll bet.

Growing up on a farm, we had to make our own entertainment and we didn't have a lot of money to do it. So we'd take an old set of tires for our dirt bikes and we'd get a bunch of 3/8 inch carriage bolts about 2 inches long. We'd sharpen them up and then drill holes in each knob of the tire, even the side knobs. A bolt with a big fender washer on the inside and a fender washer on the outside. The sharpened bolt would stick out about an inch. Put a strip of innertube to cover the bolts on the inside so they didn't puncture the regular tube, and then mount them on the rims. Then we'd head for the lake and have races on the ice.

Of course, they make those tires today. Back then they made the tires but they were about $600 per tire. My dirt bike didn't cost that much.

These are not sharp, but they are the new factory tires. Sharp ones bite better. One thing about tires like this is you don't want to fall off and have a tire grab you.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

225 posts, read 302,152 times
THANKS EH... We know someone that lives in Billings so I sent her a message asking her if we sent the money if she would pick us up a couple of pair and send them to us.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,083,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I buy these at Shipton's Big R. for $7 a pair. They work great. I even keep a couple pair hanging by the door for visitors.
Neat, I'll have to look for those... wonder who else sells 'em?

I did discover that my warmer boots, "made in Canada", are not slippery on ice! YAY!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,816 times
Default Falling ~

One winter I hit the ground five times while shoveling snow and we plan on moving soon I hope to a place that gets a lot more snow than where we live now.
I may put some spikes on the soles of one of my pairs of boots for winter outside work.
I'm 61 already and don't bounce back so well anymore.
It's not the falling that bothers me so much, it's the part when you hit the ground that's not so fun !

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,816 times
Default An introduction ~♥~

Here is a picture of our dog. He is inspecting an old cedar log near Ross Creek.
He is half Border Collie (the sire was papered) and his mother was a mutt with a lot of Jack Russell Terrier in her.
We love him even though he is a wild one ! This is one of the very few times I let him off his leash and he stuck to me like glue.
He is a bit shy of the world, he is a parvo survivor and I think he will always act a bit like a puppy his entire life. We love the little guy so much. ~♥~

Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
Nice looking dog. Our last dog, Sam, was a pure breed, "Montana Dog". Some Corgi, some Bassett Hound, some Lab/Shepard. He looked like a small, low to the ground St.Bernard.

I was out seeing some folks, and they had this batch of pups, and told me, if they could not find homes for them, they were gonna have to shoot them! (Now, looking back on that, I think they just saw me for a "mark").

And Sam lived happily ever after.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,066,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I was thinking of doing this myself the other day! thanks!!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM

448 posts, read 1,066,480 times
I was checking my emailed forecast when I really had to laugh at this one, er, unless they're serious?
"Mostly cloudy. Highs 25 to 30. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings 120 below to 125 below zero."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana