Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Been travellling for work and personal stuff. Was in Eastern Montana last week, then me and my daughter went to Whitefish for a training day with the new pup. Got him on some quail and scenting pheasant. My daughter (12 yo) loves the whole working dog training thing. She is really, really taking an interest to working with animals. It's nice for me to have this outlet with her. I've felt like I spend too much time with my son in Scouts and not enough with her.

I picked up a neat combo gun a few weeks ago. It's a Savage 2400. I've own a few Savage built model 24 combo guns (.22 over .410, .22mag over 20ga) but this one was made by a Finnish gunmaker named Valmet. It's a lot beefier and better built than the model 24. It's also a .308 under a 12ga.

The lower barrel fully adjust for tuning if using iron sights. Pretty cool drilling gun!

Last year when I was spruce grouse hunting I was in good elk and deer country. This is going to be a great walk-around rifle for those situations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Been travellling for work and personal stuff. Was in Eastern Montana last week, then me and my daughter went to Whitefish for a training day with the new pup. Got him on some quail and scenting pheasant. My daughter (12 yo) loves the whole working dog training thing. She is really, really taking an interest to working with animals. It's nice for me to have this outlet with her. I've felt like I spend too much time with my son in Scouts and not enough with her.

I picked up a neat combo gun a few weeks ago. It's a Savage 2400. I've own a few Savage built model 24 combo guns (.22 over .410, .22mag over 20ga) but this one was made by a Finnish gunmaker named Valmet. It's a lot beefier and better built than the model 24. It's also a .308 under a 12ga.

The lower barrel fully adjust for tuning if using iron sights. Pretty cool drilling gun!

Last year when I was spruce grouse hunting I was in good elk and deer country. This is going to be a great walk-around rifle for those situations!
That will make an outstanding dual purpose gun. You'll have fun with it.

My daughter had (I say had, because last week she had to put one down) a pair of dogs that were very well trained for birds. She could tell the two dogs, you go out and to the right, and you go to the left. The dogs would go straight out in the direction she indicated, and when she spoke, they would separate and start sniffing out sagebrush bushes. If they found something, they would go into a point and await the next command. It was a great deal of fun watching those dogs work. Your daughter has realized an outstanding sport and the two of you will have a great time at it.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Woah- didn't see your post above.

Grumpy today?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Woah- didn't see your post above.

Grumpy today?
I'm grumpy every day.

Actually, getting real tired of reported posts and every one of them is because of Political Correctness, not because there is actually a TOS violation.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Good rant though Elk, couldn't disagree with any of it

We all hit saturation point somtimes.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

I usually hit saturation point after 7-8 beers.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
***** WARNING *****

If you only want politically correct statements, if you only want a homogeneous society, you had probably better skip this post.

What the hell is wrong with America, today? What are we trying to create?

People that know me, also know that I am probably the "least" politically correct person they know. I think being politically correct, is bull.

A kid can't wear a t-shirt with a logo? I could understand if it was cuss words. If a kid can't wear a shirt with an NRA logo, then fine. Shut down that school. If the principal wears one of those golf shirts with a little alegator on it, kick his butt to the curb, put him on suspension, without pay, take away his tenure, he's got one of those logo's on his shirt and we all know how that is going to wreck society as we know it. We'll have no more of this individualism. If we're going to put all the kids in uniforms, then let's cut their hair. Every kid will wear their hair at the exact same length and while we are at it, we'll die them all blonde because you know that we want to be the superior race.... I mean country. Kids will no longer be allowed to have an accent either. Nothing offends me more than a kid with a twang when he's not in twang country.

I'm getting a little sick and tired of the neighbor driving a new car periodically. Nobody else can afford a new car, and specially a car made in another country. Put his butt in an older car because we certainly don't want him to stand out and flaunt it. It offends me.

Last week, in the news, South Dakota is having a real dilemma with renaming some landmarks. ( South Dakota: 'Negro' and 'Squaw' names must go ) They have decided that "Sqaw Creek" is offensive and has to be changed, immediately. Trouble is, the Federal Government limits on what you can re-name it to. It has been so named for 200+ years and suddenly it's offensive? It has to be named in relation to local history. While we are at it, I'm offended by the little town having a name like "Custer", or an actual National monument called "Crazy Horse". We do not want to unfairly honor somebody because somebody on one side or the other will be offended. Instead of Crazy Horse, we could call it "Monument in the Hills". But then somebody will come along and say that it's more like mountains than hills. I guess we'd better name it "Monument #63". Can't be calling it Devils Tower either. Some Christian ain't going to like it. That will have to be Monument #1. We have "Custer Battle Field, or Battle of the Little Big Horn, or what is the fancy this week?" I think it best to just blade it over so nobody knows it's there. It's probably better that nobody knows anything about it because somebody might like it and if that's the case, somebody else is sure to not like it.

All school buses will be built of equal length. Just because there is only 4 kids on that bus run our to the ranches, I don't want my kid known as having to ride the "Short Bus".

Beartooth Mountains needs to be changed immediately, the mountain lions that live there are jealous because they outnumber the bears and they want equal billing.

When I walk down the street and see a person wearing a Green Peace shirt, I have my thoughts, but I keep walking. I certainly don't knock his ass out and strip him of that offensive shirt.

What's up with people having last names? That's individualism and has to go. From now on, we'll all be assigned numbers. But wait, sure as hell somebody is going to be offended if my number is only 4 digits and theirs is 5. From now on, all males will be named "Ugh" and all females will be named "Ughette". All clubs will be of equal length and weight.

Has this nation not progressed from the ice age? Have we not learned anything? We are a free nation and that means that we should be free of redicule, simply because we are different. And that means, what we drive, the home we live in, and the damn shirt we wear.

We've all seen the email that runs around every couple months.

If a Republican doesn't like guns, they simply don't buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, they don't want anybody to have one.

I thought it was a funny joke when I first read it, but lately, I'm beginning to think about just how true that is.

If you don't like the way a school operated, there are others. You can either isolate your kid to put them in a "Perfect" world, or you can send them to a school where they learn reality. When my grandson joined T-Ball, I was a happy grandpa. When he got snacks, a high five, and a cheer for completing a game, I was pissed. They didn't have outs, because that might disappoint a kid. They didn't have strikes because that might disappoint a kid. They didn't keep score because that might disappoint a kid. What the hell is that all about? What happened to kids learning that in life, there are disappointments, they learn to try harder. What incentive does a kid have when he swings at a ball 15 times and misses each time, but advances to first???? What is wrong with a kid realizing that his group didn't coagulate and become a team good enough to win over another team? They try harder next time. With no outs, no strikes, no score, my Grandkid come home with a trophy. For what? Being there?

What has our society become? And worse yet, where is it going?
I agree with everything except the guns part. I know tons of Dems who love their guns (and are active members of groups who try to protect the rights of gun owners).

The T-Ball thing is ridiculous. Kids need to learn how to be gracious winners, just as they need to learn not to be sore losers. They need to deal with the reality of disappointment, as well as the thrill of working hard for something and having that hard work pay off. Not keeping score takes away from all that.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,713 times
Quote:
***** WARNING *****
What has our society become? And worse yet, where is it going?

Holy schmoly ElkHunter, that was a good one, heck even I feel better now !

Q ~ What has our society become ?
A ~ A cesspool of greed and arrogance.

Q ~ And worse yet, where is it going ?
A ~ To hell in a freaking "made in China" hand-basket.

At this point the only problems that I'm going to allow myself to recognize are the facts
that I need a new fishing reel and a really long lens for my favorite camera. (a 500 mm)

Another one of my images that I cooked up ↓ An overlay. ~♥~

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,713 times
Gotta sneak another pic on here. The world is changing fast.
I cooked up this image this morning. ↓

Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
***** WARNING *****

If you only want politically correct statements, if you only want a homogeneous society, you had probably better skip this post.
Nope, I think it's a million-rep-points post.

As to this "positive only" crap the 'modern ejumacators' are stuck on, here's a rant from someone I've known since 1975, on the same problem as applied to dogs (which tends to pick up this nonsense about 20 years after it gets applied to kids):
"Purely Positive" training - the worst thing to happen to dogs?
Quote:
What started as a trickle became a minor flood of dogs for me to "fix" after their owners had been taking them to local classes or trainers who were using this new method. As time went by, I could separate them into two groups - the more dominant dogs who were now trying to take over their households and the softer dogs who were close to hysterics trying to figure out what they were supposed to be doing to earn the click and treat. Many of these dogs were mere days from death when I got them due to problems running from extreme bad manners all the way up to biting people and/or other dogs.
Basically, if you never face adversity, you never learn HOW to face adversity, and the same applies to training both dogs and kids. Kathy talks about having to "fix" dogs with busted social skills as a result of "positive only training". Who fixes our busted kids who are suffering from the same politically correct BS? the courts, both criminal as they grow up thinking they can do no wrong, and civil as they grow up thinking they should sue anyone who offends them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana