Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times

Advertisements

Any place in particular Reziac? If it is around the places I haunt I can ask around.

Do you need a place for your dogs primarily, in other words do you have a camper or something to live in or do you need both space for you and the dogs?

Don't Look, I was over in your neighborhood last weekend, had to go to Bonners Ferry to pick up a bull and went through Arlee up to Thompson Falls along the Bull River to Troy.

Love the country, about a month ahead of Helena. Lots of green and flowers!! Sure hated to cross Mac Pass back into the brown

I could live in Thompson Falls, what great people!! We had vehicle trouble, (of course ) and had 3 sheriffs deputys come and help us. All of them were very friendly, courtious, down home folk and it was a pleasure to talk to them.
The wrecker guys worked for an hour to get us running again, (no mechanics around on Saturday of course), they got us to the point we could limp into Trout Creek and a great little tire shop was open and let us borrow some of his tools to make enough repairs we could complete our trip.

We stopped again in Thompson Falls on the way back and stayed the night. Had an excellent supper at the Montana Cafe, and the room at the Riverfront Motel was the best I have ever stayed in!

I have been all over the world, been in more expensive places for sure, but none nicer and more comfortable. They had a fire in the pit out front and the owners and guests could sit around and enjoy the evening, the river was just off of the back of the lot, it was quiet and the water fountains burbled all night lulling us to sleep.

The owner makes log furniture and he made the beds in the room. I don't know what kind of mattress/pad they use, but they were extremely comfortable. Usually hotel/motel beds feel like a lump of concrete with a sheet for padding, but these I think were memory foam, molded to you and great support, slept like a log

Loved the drive along the rivers dodging elk and bighorn sheep. Lots of deer and wild turkeys in the fields, and I saw what I am pretty sure were 2 moose as well. Might of been elk, but they were down in a swamp eating willows and were really big and dark so I am confident they were moose even thought they were quite a ways out from the road.

Anyway, Loved the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Howdy folks... I'm not real fussy about the location. I'm trying to wind up permanently around either Bozeman (pref near Three Forks) or possibly Great Falls or maybe a corner of Broadwater County, but in the interim, anywhere will do. Tho being more 'centrally located' would be easier for running off to see property, than if I were in, say, Culbertson or Libby.

I just need power and water and no close neighbors (cuz kennel dogs sometimes sound like they're skinning live babies at 6am... they're used to livestock, tho, and pay 'em no mind). I've got a travel trailer (actually I've got FOUR travel trailers tho only one of 'em is with me right now) and living rough is no big deal.

Ranchers always worry about folks letting dogs run loose... er, no, cuz I don't want my $10,000 stud dog kicked by your two-bit cayuse.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Speaking of barnyards and barns, check out this old gem. Someone just bought it and it is rumored that they are going to tear it down just to sell the barn wood.
Wow, that'd be a shame. Yeah, the outside is rough and desperately needs resheathing, but it looks like the frame is pretty sound. Well, maybe they'll just tear the shiplap off it and someone else can resheathe it before it gets weathered to death. Would be practically a new barn that way!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Don't Look, I was over in your neighborhood last weekend, had to go to Bonners Ferry to pick up a bull and went through Arlee up to Thompson Falls along the Bull River to Troy.

Love the country, about a month ahead of Helena. Lots of green and flowers!! Sure hated to cross Mac Pass back into the brown

Loved the drive along the rivers dodging elk and bighorn sheep. Lots of deer and wild turkeys in the fields, and I saw what I am pretty sure were 2 moose as well. Might of been elk, but they were down in a swamp eating willows and were really big and dark so I am confident they were moose even thought they were quite a ways out from the road.

Anyway, Loved the area
Silvertip, when you turned up 56 along the Bull River you were 5 miles from our place! The road along the Bull River is spectacular, especially when the spring runoff has started which I assume it has. We'll take a trip to Thompson Falls this summer and eat at the Montana Cafe...

Here's a pic from The Cabinet Mt Wilderness east of 56. Wild grizzly country up there.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Great picture CFF

There wasn't any runoff I could see, the rivers were still really clear, no turbidity.

Too bad I didn't know I was that close, would have been nice to meet you.

I couldn't belive how thick the timber is over there, solid walls of trees up to the edge of the road, but when you hit a clearing, I agree, it was spectacular

I had never been in that particular area before, especially up to Troy, I can see why everyone wants to live there although I wouldn't like the grey days all winter, and maybe the Bigfoots crossing the road....

Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Anyone who thinks animals are mistreated, has not been to Montana. I was at a few farms this week, and livestock are cared for, with advanced animal husbandry and complete care. These animals are cash, and treated very well.

You see these websites about how animals for food are mistreated, not any I saw this week. MMontana beef is well tended.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Well tended and tender!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Great picture CFF

There wasn't any runoff I could see, the rivers were still really clear, no turbidity.

Too bad I didn't know I was that close, would have been nice to meet you.

I couldn't belive how thick the timber is over there, solid walls of trees up to the edge of the road, but when you hit a clearing, I agree, it was spectacular

I had never been in that particular area before, especially up to Troy, I can see why everyone wants to live there although I wouldn't like the grey days all winter, and maybe the Bigfoots crossing the road....
Well, much I'd like to be up there myself, I still work for a living down in the cauldron (SoCal), in a nontransferable job. Retirement is a ways off...sigh...but I'm coming "home" to the NW soon! If you're ever back in the area, shoot me a DM. The turnoff to 56 is also just a few miles from Heron and the Elk Creek Meadow pic I posted in the Heron thread.

Yes, you've got all kinds of critters crossing the road! Late last summer we stopped somewhere near the area in the picture (above) at sunset, to count deer in the meadow. We were just standing at the turnout when a ranger pulled up and told us to to keep an eye out for a cougar that had just been sighted--right along the road! We (or our dog) must have looked like cougar bait... We weren't too surprised, though, because we also have a resident cougar patrolling our own property...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Lots of cougars around, the FWP had to tranquilize one off of somebodies porch in Helena about 3 years ago.
My brother lost a horse to one up at our summer pasture near Livingston, they are all over the place.

I don't get over that way often, I was there on business last weekend, we bought a bull up at Bonners Ferry.

Loved looking at the rivers, they are so SMOOOOOOOOTH compared to the Yellowstone for instance. My father and I thought it was amazing how you couldn't see any current except for around a few rocks or bridges.

We are talking about taking some time, probably after tourist season, and taking a camper and a canoe over there for some fall fishing

Don't know if it will happen yet, but it would be a blast

Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,713 times
Quote:
Lots of cougars around,

There are quite a few "Cougars" in southern California when I lived on my small yacht but I never had to "Tranquilize" any. I wouldn't ever do that anyway.
They were always quite willing and I enjoyed being attacked by cougars when I was young. ~♥~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana