Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,005,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
LOL!!! Everybody makes mistakes, some are funnier than others...

I have a 1966 International Scout I drive, and it is a target for every cop on the road as they think it will be an easy kill for no insurance and no seat belts.

I was pulled over by a new MHP trooper near Manhattan a while back, and after I give him my insurance info he says, "I notice you aren't wearing your seat belt".

So I had to inform him that the vehicle had not been made with seat belts as they were not installed in that model until 1970 as a lap belt, and not required by law until 1973, so the vehicle was grandfathered. I don't have to have a seatbelt in a vintage vehicle.

He looked at the title, said, "oh yeah, it is a '66", gave me back my information, and left

I noted as I drove through the area that there was a wolf pack operation going on, MHP, Sheriff Deputies, near the town exits there were city cops, don't know if they were looking for someone specific or just the usual wolf pack move assets into an area and put the fear of John Law into the population for a while.

Either way, if you aren't in the wrong, it sure seems to throw them off balance
When I lived in California, I intentionally didn't wear my seatbelt in my 1985 Ford F250. See, the law read that seatbelts were not required in Commercial Vehicles and California requires 3/4 ton to be licensed as Commercial. I was stopped and questioned a couple times. I pointed out the registration where it said Commercial and they would want to argue that I was using it for personal use, not commercial. Doesn't make any difference, I am required to license and pay for commercial, so I can enjoy the other laws that relate to it. Usually ticked em off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 PM

8,086 posts, read 15,128,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
When I lived in California, I intentionally didn't wear my seatbelt in my 1985 Ford F250. See, the law read that seatbelts were not required in Commercial Vehicles and California requires 3/4 ton to be licensed as Commercial. I was stopped and questioned a couple times. I pointed out the registration where it said Commercial and they would want to argue that I was using it for personal use, not commercial. Doesn't make any difference, I am required to license and pay for commercial, so I can enjoy the other laws that relate to it. Usually ticked em off.
Good trick

Actually, ALL pickup trucks in CA are licensed as "Commercial". The voters foisted that on the state (ballot proposition, an invention of the devil) back about 1986, thinking they were gonna screw over the heavy truckers who "damage the roads" (which may be true, but they already pay and pay and pay...) ...the new law more'n-tripled the fees on all "commercial" vehicles... forgetting that in CA, even mini-pickups are "commercial" vehicles. Lic/fees on my old F-100 went from $35 to $160 overnight.

Woulda cost me over $500 to lic. the "new" (1991) F350 there... for one year. Cost $270 in MT to get a permanent plate.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Heh, sounds like a great way to travel!

Map reading, and remembering where you are on the map, seems to be a lost skill in today's kids.

Me, once I've been somewhere, it gets added to the map in my head, which is overlaid on the atlas I absorbed from being a map freak.

There are two different "Montana detail maps" books out now, that I've seen. Neither shows anything but the most obvious of the unpaved roads, and not a one of the back trails. Gotta get me a set of Forest Service maps again!
Has your map reading abilities gotten any better of late?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Has your map reading abilities gotten any better of late?
Now that you mention it... I gotta look up the route to the Post Office. Forgot to stop last week, but gotta go to town tomorrow, assuming we don't have ANOTHER freakin' freak storm...!! (see small rant on the NID Porch)

Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it... I gotta look up the route to the Post Office. Forgot to stop last week, but gotta go to town tomorrow, assuming we don't have ANOTHER freakin' freak storm...!! (see small rant on the NID Porch)
Freak storm? In Montana? You're kidding me. hahahaha

I have a friend that goes to the post office, once a month and then complains because he now has to sort through 3 or 4 pieces of mail. I told him that if he won the Publishers Clearing House jackpot, the check would expire before he realized he had it.

P.S. Tracking says it's there.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Haha, that would be me... hate going to town, hate making stops, what's all this mail anyway?! what? no check from Publisher's Clearing House? Roundfile the lot of it!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Haha, that would be me... hate going to town, hate making stops, what's all this mail anyway?! what? no check from Publisher's Clearing House? Roundfile the lot of it!
I try to go only once a week unless I am expecting a package.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM

225 posts, read 302,958 times
Sitting @McD's in Bozeman. Everything going ok so far. Headed for Billings and gonna spend the night there.
Talk to ya later.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
Sitting @McD's in Bozeman. Everything going ok so far. Headed for Billings and gonna spend the night there.
Talk to ya later.
That's a start!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Heya! Makin' good time, eh MaB? Happy travels!

To the cooks out there, if you haven't tried that aluminum-free baking powder, it's WAY better'n the regular stuff. Tastes better and works better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana