Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well you more than likely cannot pull a permit with the FS offices closed.
When did the permit become a requirement? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Oh goodie, I love trivia questions. Let's see, a firewood permit, when did it requrie permits? I'm guessing, you know, but I'm going to say, "About 10 minutes after the very first Forest Service Office opened in the state of Montana."

What'd I win?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Gallatin County requires a $25. permit to be purchased. ......been in effect for at least 4 to 5 years.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Gallatin County requires a $25. permit to be purchased. ......been in effect for at least 4 to 5 years.
Hey Griz! Where you been!!!

Probably out in the berry patches right?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Cuz I don't remember there being a permit requirement back-when... but times a'changed..

<goes off, roots around>

Region 1 - Passes & Permits

Appears the permit is federal, not state.

Hmm. That there page kinda gives the lie to this'un, don't it?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Hey Griz! Where you been!!!

Probably out in the berry patches right?
Hey 'Tip..........

Speaking of Berry Patches.................. Last week end I was walking around my place down by the creek that flows across my place for about 500 feet, and noticed 3 separate piles of bear scat about 500 feet from the house. Looked to be about 2 to 4 days old and loaded with berry seeds..................no wonder my dog goes "nuts" every once in a while when I put him out in his fenced dog run for several several hours on some of these nice fall days. I never let him run free on my place unless I'm out there with him and I ALWAYS have the electronic (shock and Beeper) collar on him EVERY time I take him out. I started him on the collar back when he was 6 months old----he is now 7 1/2 yrs. My only use of the "full" shock feature was to break him from chasing deer elk and turkeys............properly used as a "Training Aid" it is invaluable. My main use of this particular model of collar, is by the time he was 9 months I had him trained to return to me when I would press the BEEPER Horn button (on the hand-held transmitter)(the little horn is on his collar & works out to bout 1/2 mile). At this age I must have a dog that responds to all commands without hesitation..........no chasing after a dog through the woods for this ole timer

Anyway.....properly used with common-sense and patience, a "Combination Shock & Beeper Collar" with an adjustable intensity knob (0 to 100)...is a very valuable and effective TRAINING device.

Being the "smart little Brittany" that he is, he "knows" what the collar can do:shocked , and hardly ever needs a little "nick" as a reminder...........sure saves a lot of hollering and whistle blowing!!!!!!

Just finished having my 5th series of 3 injections--over 5 years-- (10 days apart) of that Synthetic Cartilage into the right knee that sustained 3 fractures 'low those many years ago" and was then "reconstructed" 5 years after the accident. .......I'm lucky..........some folks don't get the positive results that I do from these injections. Thank God MT/BC & BS & Medicare pick up the cost.....about $1800! I'm also lucky in that as a passenger in the front seat of that '49 Ford Convert (hit a tree at about 95 mph), I was the only survivor--killed the two next to me. My other 14 fractures: (5 lumbar vertbrea, pelvis, ribs & sternum, shoulder, arms, wrists, were all subject to the healing time provided by the full-body cast I wore from August 30th till Dec 20th.

Sorry........don't know what got me on this "soap-box".....'cept maybe my thoughts regarding how lucky I am to be able to still get my whitetail on my place with a minimum of effort (and my 1961 Sako in .243 with my handload of a 100gr Nosler Partition on top of 43.5 gr of IMR 4350 and a FED 215 Mag Primer.
\
Thanks for listening & good look to you all in field doing what we all love to do!................Griz

Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
As long as I can remember. You had to have a permit in WV too.

Quote:
Permits
More permit information can be found at each Northern Region Forest Office.

Firewood Cutting Permit
Firewood Cutting permits may be purchased at your local Forest Service Office. The cost for firewood cutting permits varies per forest. The permit allows you to cut down standing dead or downed timber on National Forest and Bureau of Land Management lands within Montana and Northern Idaho. Firewood obtained under this permit is intended for personal use only. It may not be used for commercial resale. Any additional restrictions will be listed on each permit. Please inquire at your local Ranger District office regarding commercial firewood permits.

Christmas Tree Permits
Each year from mid-November through December, your local Forest Service Office sells permits that allow you to cut a fresh Christmas tree on National Forest Lands. Fees for the permit vary at each local office. The permit allows you to cut one tree for your holiday festivities. It also helps the Forest Service thin tree stands that have a concentration of smaller trees.

Special Use Permits
Special Use Permits provide services supporting our national policy and federal land laws by authorizing uses on National Forest System (NFS) lands.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
Hey everyone. Sorry I havent posted in a while. We had gotten to about 2 miles from the LA / MS state line when the rt front tire blew @ 70mph. Barely missed a road sign by about 6 ft. Almost flipped.
We were down to our last 120 bucks. Thankfully my brother paid for our hotel, tow and repair. Spent the night in Louisiana and then went to Atlanta Ga to spend the night @ my brother's. Then headed up to Chickamauga Ga to my sisters place.
We stayed there about 3 weeks... IT WAS HELL!
The drinking.. every night, pot smoking every day, foul mouthed unruly kids...
mom and I had to share a bed in a room with a 12 yr old .. no AC.. no doors... no privacy...
Mom's stress level was way up and she even had to use her nitro a few times. I was a nervous wreck and had 3... THREE!!!! anxiety attacks.
Then my sister decided to ask mom... "why can't I be your care taker and Valerie (me) can leave? Mom told her NO!
Oh.. and they used moms car ALL they time and took mom everywhere but I got stuck with the kids. I showed my butt on that one. They were trying to push me outta the picture.. so to speak.. Until I showed my butt. And mom got upset... says it was just stress...and my nerves were on edge.... that was until they started asking mom for money.. etc.
Then mom says...WTH! Enough!
Hubby wired me 100 dollars and we put gas in the car and drove back to Atlanta Ga. Stayed at my brothers place for 2 days then we went on to Phenix City Alabama.
We are now staying with my cousin. Nice quiet peaceful... no drugs or alcohol. They live out in the woods. Only exciting thing here is the bobcat that I saw cross thru the front yard about an hour ago when I was outside smoking a cig.
Anyway.. thats where we are. Not going anywhere else until we get our own place.
Hope everyone else is doing well. Will try to get back in touch later.
Hugs to everyone.
Whew! Glad to hear you two made it down & through all the trials & tribulations, Ma!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey 'Tip..........

Speaking of Berry Patches.................. Last week end I was walking around my place down by the creek that flows across my place for about 500 feet, and noticed 3 separate piles of bear scat about 500 feet from the house. Looked to be about 2 to 4 days old and loaded with berry seeds..................no wonder my dog goes "nuts" every once in a while when I put him out in his fenced dog run for several several hours on some of these nice fall days. I never let him run free on my place unless I'm out there with him and I ALWAYS have the electronic (shock and Beeper) collar on him EVERY time I take him out. I started him on the collar back when he was 6 months old----he is now 7 1/2 yrs. My only use of the "full" shock feature was to break him from chasing deer elk and turkeys............properly used as a "Training Aid" it is invaluable. My main use of this particular model of collar, is by the time he was 9 months I had him trained to return to me when I would press the BEEPER Horn button (on the hand-held transmitter)(the little horn is on his collar & works out to bout 1/2 mile). At this age I must have a dog that responds to all commands without hesitation..........no chasing after a dog through the woods for this ole timer

Anyway.....properly used with common-sense and patience, a "Combination Shock & Beeper Collar" with an adjustable intensity knob (0 to 100)...is a very valuable and effective TRAINING device.

Being the "smart little Brittany" that he is, he "knows" what the collar can do:shocked , and hardly ever needs a little "nick" as a reminder...........sure saves a lot of hollering and whistle blowing!!!!!!

Just finished having my 5th series of 3 injections--over 5 years-- (10 days apart) of that Synthetic Cartilage into the right knee that sustained 3 fractures 'low those many years ago" and was then "reconstructed" 5 years after the accident. .......I'm lucky..........some folks don't get the positive results that I do from these injections. Thank God MT/BC & BS & Medicare pick up the cost.....about $1800! I'm also lucky in that as a passenger in the front seat of that '49 Ford Convert (hit a tree at about 95 mph), I was the only survivor--killed the two next to me. My other 14 fractures: (5 lumbar vertbrea, pelvis, ribs & sternum, shoulder, arms, wrists, were all subject to the healing time provided by the full-body cast I wore from August 30th till Dec 20th.

Sorry........don't know what got me on this "soap-box".....'cept maybe my thoughts regarding how lucky I am to be able to still get my whitetail on my place with a minimum of effort (and my 1961 Sako in .243 with my handload of a 100gr Nosler Partition on top of 43.5 gr of IMR 4350 and a FED 215 Mag Primer.
\
Thanks for listening & good look to you all in field doing what we all love to do!................Griz
Good to hear from you again!

I just spent 11 days up at my cabin looking for elk, no joy.

Lots of cougar and bear, one moose, one whitetail doe and fawn in an area usually teeming with game, I couldn't figure out what was going on.
In 11 days I found one fresh elk track, and it was a small one traveling through, no stops at all.

Finally when I came out I found out why the desolation. All around the horse trailer we had parked down on the main "road", were fresh wolf tracks

Too bad wolves don't taste very good, I could fill my freezer with them instead of the elk they drove off.
I may have to make a wolfskin comforter for the bed instead

Anyway, glad to hear you are doing OK.
Keep in touch!!

MtSilvertip

Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Just found an article in USA TODAY: Just in the last few days, Gov Jerry Brown of CA has signed into law, a complete BAN on ALL "LEAD" ammo including ammo for rifles, handguns and shotguns . Don't know any more details than this.........I'm sure some resident sportsmen from CA can provide more detail.
Absolutely crazy logic.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana