Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Will hot wires keep Bambi out?
NO. hahaha They learn quick. Years ago, I put electric fence around a garden. Deer walked up, got zapped, jumped back and looked at it. Jumped, from where it was at, right into the garden and proceeded to tear up the garden.

In Wyoming, Game and Fish pay for damaged fence caused by deer, elk, or antelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM

8,085 posts, read 15,111,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
NO. hahaha They learn quick. Years ago, I put electric fence around a garden. Deer walked up, got zapped, jumped back and looked at it. Jumped, from where it was at, right into the garden and proceeded to tear up the garden.
County extension guy told my sister that they won't jump in if the fence is so close to another fence that they can't easily jump out again. I don't know how valid that is, but so far none of 'em have jumped into her little garden full of tempting goodies -- fence isn't real high (4 or 5 feet) but it's only about ten feet to the next fence. So she has this long narrow garden. I guess they aren't smart enough to look at it longways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
In Wyoming, Game and Fish pay for damaged fence caused by deer, elk, or antelope.
So now we know what Wyoming's largest budget item is, at least until they outlaw fences.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Happy Belated Rez!

Deer are nothing compared to elk and moose for fences. Elk run in herds, come tearing down the mountain, the first one jumps the fence, the rest get tangled in it and rip out huge chunks of it.

Moose don't try to jump, they just walk through it.

Pretty tough to keep a fence up in an area where they are. We even tried rail fences, still didn't work, but they didn't tear out as large of sections as they do with barb-wire.

I always know, as soon as I can get up to the cabin, first thing I have to do is go around and cut the fallen trees off the fence, put in new post to replace the ones broken off by snowpack, then start stringing wire which is a process that takes all summer long, or at least as long as I have the cattle up there

I pull the cattle out in September, and let the elk and moose have their way with the fence until next spring

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Thankee

Hey, I have an idea... what you need is a wolf. That'll keep the elk out.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM

After reading through your posts Elkhunter, all I can say is WOW!

You really need to take care of yourself as it seems you are falling apart at the seams. Don't want to have to train Timber to follow along picking up things as they fall off now do we?

Good Luck on all your operations and proceedures

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Thankee

Hey, I have an idea... what you need is a wolf. That'll keep the elk out.
Why do you think the elk are stampeeding in the first place? Already got wolves, just need to set some trap lines for them
Got Grizzly too, and mountain lion, lots of competition when I try to fill my freezer.

I see that Idaho is opening up their wolf season to all year round, we need the same thing here

Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You really need to take care of yourself as it seems you are falling apart at the seams. Don't want to have to train Timber to follow along picking up things as they fall off now do we?
Ooooh, finally I get it... ElkHunter is a zombie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Why do you think the elk are stampeeding in the first place? Already got wolves, just need to set some trap lines for them
No, no, no, you need your wolf inside your fence so they elk will stampede the other direction! Jes' tie him to a tree and move him around once in a while so the elk can all see him. Make sure the "other direction" is toward your blind.

And when you're done with him, he'll make a nice rug.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
No, no, no, you need your wolf inside your fence so they elk will stampede the other direction! Jes' tie him to a tree and move him around once in a while so the elk can all see him. Make sure the "other direction" is toward your blind.

And when you're done with him, he'll make a nice rug.
Always looking at the angles aren't you, truthfully, I would rather have the elk than the wolves. The elk don't try to eat my calves.

A nice wolfskin rug huh... Sounds like a good purpose for them all

Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Get some African water buffalo. You won't have any more calves eaten. Those things kill lions, a wolf wouldn't stand a chance! 'Course, you couldn't get near 'em either...

Old 05-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Get some African water buffalo. You won't have any more calves eaten. Those things kill lions, a wolf wouldn't stand a chance! 'Course, you couldn't get near 'em either...
We have Scottish Highlanders, we went to that breed when the wolves were introduced because they also have a lot of horn and attitude and can protect themselves.
We haven't lost a calf with the Scotties, but some of our neighbors lost a whole herd of goats last year, and my cousin lost 12 calves in less than a week before he could find pasture to rent and move his herd.

Those Scotties don't like dogs or wolves. I have seen them chase the neighbors dogs as hard as the dogs could run through the fence. One friend of ours has Scotties and a wolf got in his herd one night, but the cows hit that wolf so fast and hard he just barely made it out of the pasture alive! Our friend saw it happen, but those cows hit so quick and hard the wolf was gone before he could grab a rifle.

When predators are shoved down your throat and threaten your livelyhood, you have to take measures to protect your investment.
Those Scotties were our answer and it has worked well so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana