Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times

Advertisements

Those chains are made specifically for heavy equipment working in quarries, brickyards, scrapyards, etc. where even heavy tires get sidewalls ripped and treads chewed up. So the idea is you buy one set of these for about the cost of a set of those oversized tires, and don't have to buy nearly as many tires. I don't know how well it works but seems like a good idea. Probably lets you get away with using worn tires that would get holed otherwise, too. As to how well the metal lasts... that's a different question!

But they're sure decorative when they're new and shiny, and you just know some yahoo with cash for brains is gonna try 'em on their muddin' rig.

(I love Alibaba -- where you can learn the real prices for all sorts of stuff!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Those chains are made specifically for heavy equipment working in quarries, brickyards, scrapyards, etc. where even heavy tires get sidewalls ripped and treads chewed up. So the idea is you buy one set of these for about the cost of a set of those oversized tires, and don't have to buy nearly as many tires. I don't know how well it works but seems like a good idea. Probably lets you get away with using worn tires that would get holed otherwise, too. As to how well the metal lasts... that's a different question!

But they're sure decorative when they're new and shiny, and you just know some yahoo with cash for brains is gonna try 'em on their muddin' rig.

(I love Alibaba -- where you can learn the real prices for all sorts of stuff!)
Betwixed me and that gawd awful place called town, is three choices for travel. I90, of which I can't travel on my 4 wheeler. The County road, of which I normally run, and Keystone Road. Note Keystone shaves about 2 miles off my trip, however, its two track and there is a big sign that says 'Fair weather road only.'. They mean it. They grade that road twice a year. Spring and fall. The owner of the property, or holder of the lease for the BLM portion, feeds his cattle out there. He's got a 4 wheel drive John Deere that he chains up to get out there, so you can imagine how tore up that. road gets. I run through it on my 4 wheeler and about 5-6 mph is the best I can do. Its a lot faster to run the county road, but its more scenic and fun to take Keystone. I've seen him out their feeding. Heavy chains,all the way around, and mud just flying. He custom made his chains and they are almost not enough.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-05-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 PM

You'd think with that John Deere usin' it all the time, the road woulda got a lot wider...

He prolly needs bigger spikes on his custom chains. Tell him to try railroad spikes.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Archery hunting this year is out. I knew that with the medical problems this summer, that I had lost a lot of strength, but I didn't realize how much. Thought I'd better break out my crossbow and get a little practice in. Nope, I didn't have enough strength to nock an arrow. Its a 175 lb crossbow. I give it everything I can and I am about 2 inches from latching it. Seeings how my handyman jack is too heavy to lug around, I guess I'll have to pass on archery this year and just hunt with rifle.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM

You need an old-fashioned crossbow with a windlass to pull the string back! Note the draw weights on those babies!!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You need an old-fashioned crossbow with a windlass to pull the string back! Note the draw weights on those babies!!
Holy crap Batman, 800-900 lbs of draw weight???? What are you going to shoot with that? I have to be careful with mine having arrows go clear through. I had a hay bale set up next to my shed. My daughter wanted to try it. She missed the hay bale and the arrow went through the first wall (T-111), through a sack of cracked corn, out the back wall and buried itself in the ground. Took us 10 minutes to find it. If I ever buy another one, it will have a lot less draw to it.

Cabelas has a good selection of c o c k ing devices, some are just rope pully systems. Trouble is, I don't know how effective they are. Crossbow Cocking Devices | Cocking Aids & Winches : Cabela's. They do have some crank type for around $150 range. Will have to check them out on my next trip to Billings. We don't have a Cabelas in Wyoming. haha

Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Archery hunting this year is out. I knew that with the medical problems this summer, that I had lost a lot of strength, but I didn't realize how much. Thought I'd better break out my crossbow and get a little practice in. Nope, I didn't have enough strength to nock an arrow. Its a 175 lb crossbow. I give it everything I can and I am about 2 inches from latching it. Seeings how my handyman jack is too heavy to lug around, I guess I'll have to pass on archery this year and just hunt with rifle.
........Hey Elk................ Maybe this info may help you use that Cross Bow this fall>>>>>>>>>>

My college room mate from the early 1950s (1950/1954) uses a Barnett Penetrator (175#) Cross Bow.........He only has one arm----he lost his left arm just below the elbow way back in 1949-----caught it in a Punch Press.......He uses a Barnett Cross Bow "BAR 17450 Crank Cocking Device" on that Bow with 20" arrows at 350 fps. The Bow came with a 4 x 32 Scope and says "He loves the total set-up and gets his deer every fall" He lives in one of the River Counties in eastern Iowa along the Mississippi R., and says the Corn-Fed Iowa Deer are better that our Black Angus!!! ..............He also has harvested a few Coyotes in Jan/Feb winter time snow season and sells them to a local furrier.

You might want to look in to that Cocking Device.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........Hey Elk................ Maybe this info may help you use that Cross Bow this fall>>>>>>>>>>

My college room mate from the early 1950s (1950/1954) uses a Barnett Penetrator (175#) Cross Bow.........He only has one arm----he lost his left arm just below the elbow way back in 1949-----caught it in a Punch Press.......He uses a Barnett Cross Bow "BAR 17450 Crank Cocking Device" on that Bow with 20" arrows at 350 fps. The Bow came with a 4 x 32 Scope and says "He loves the total set-up and gets his deer every fall" He lives in one of the River Counties in eastern Iowa along the Mississippi R., and says the Corn-Fed Iowa Deer are better that our Black Angus!!! ..............He also has harvested a few Coyotes in Jan/Feb winter time snow season and sells them to a local furrier.

You might want to look in to that Cocking Device.
Thanks Griz. Those are considerably cheaper than Cabelas.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 PM

I'm astonished that a modern crossbow doesn't come with a cocking mechanism (other than your armstrong).

Someone gift me an elderly target-competition crossbow that lacks the entire firing mechanism. Durn thing is too heavy to tote around anyway, but prolly oughta see about getting it fixed.

An impressive demonstration of a crossbow vs a car door.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I'm astonished that a modern crossbow doesn't come with a cocking mechanism (other than your armstrong).

Someone gift me an elderly target-competition crossbow that lacks the entire firing mechanism. Durn thing is too heavy to tote around anyway, but prolly oughta see about getting it fixed.

An impressive demonstration of a crossbow vs a car door.
Just like anything else, they make more money offering it as an accessory. I used to be able to latch it and plan on being able to again. Been working every day with some free weights, just haven't quite caught up to where I was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana