Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM

448 posts, read 1,067,750 times

Advertisements

Just gave hubby the news regards the mishaps on Canyon Ferry. He is (was) prepping to take the new ice house out as I write. Well, second thought, after I show him the newspaper article, which is far more detailed than the local Helena paper here, I'll see if he really still wants too? Sure glad I dropped in on the front porch with my coffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,027,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
Just gave hubby the news regards the mishaps on Canyon Ferry. He is (was) prepping to take the new ice house out as I write.
Oh my, , I hope he isn't going to be taking his ice house out like this one.
I guess it's too late for these folks to sell their riverfront home.
We are melting out a bit today.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TWFeUKySYDI/AAAAAAAAKBY/Ts8Ai4Jnmt4/s512/Ice%20House%20%20-%20img%20from%20U.S.%20Army.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,643,535 times
Wow, I love the photos of the cabinet mts. Hubs is looking over there for a job, seems he misses the trees more than he thought
Well it is -15
At least there is not much wind, guess we are going to get another snow shower, it looks weird to see so much snow on the prairie.
Ice fishing? No not for me...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM

8,086 posts, read 15,111,493 times
Me, I don't go drivin' out on ice. If it's been thawed and refrozen a few times (which you can't always tell by looking) it can develop vertical crystals that will shear even if the ice is six feet thick.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Me, I don't go drivin' out on ice. If it's been thawed and refrozen a few times (which you can't always tell by looking) it can develop vertical crystals that will shear even if the ice is six feet thick.
Yes but a six foot thick hunk would perhaps float the rig and the guy can convert the ice fishing day to a float fishing day.
The image of a guy float mooching the river bottom from the drivers seat of a pickup rig floating on a big slab of river ice just forced it's way into my mind.
Sorry, I couldn't resist but folks who don't take precautions pay dearly for the mistakes in judgment. Poor dog. I also feel bad for the fish that have to live in the river with that gasoline or diesel fuel and the motor oil seeping out of the rigs that sink.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,162,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
You and me both.. Although I will go on an atv or snowmachine if I am the one checking the conditions.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM

7,366 posts, read 12,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Yes but a six foot thick hunk would perhaps float the rig and the guy can convert the ice fishing day to a float fishing day.
The image of a guy float mooching the river bottom from the drivers seat of a pickup rig floating on a big slab of river ice just forced it's way into my mind.
Sorry, I couldn't resist but folks who don't take precautions pay dearly for the mistakes in judgment. Poor dog. I also feel bad for the fish that have to live in the river with that gasoline or diesel fuel and the motor oil seeping out of the rigs that sink.
I haven't been able to get that dog out of my head all day ...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I haven't been able to get that dog out of my head all day ...
I know, ~~ I love dogs too. ~~ I'm still thinking about it. Poor doggy.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM

7,366 posts, read 12,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Wow, I love the photos of the cabinet mts. Hubs is looking over there for a job, seems he misses the trees more than he thought
Mt-7, here are a few more of the Cabinets on the Montana side, in full spring glory (no, not yet! This was in 2009). The valleys with their rivers (Clark Fork, Bull), and the wooded slopes climbing toward the craggy peaks--it's all gorgeous! Keeping my fingers crossed for you hubby finding work .
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-cabinets3.jpg   Let's visit on the Porch II-cabinets4.jpg   Let's visit on the Porch II-cabinets5.jpg  

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM

8,086 posts, read 15,111,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Haha... trouble is, vertical-shear ice just shreds, it doesn't make floes. Down you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana