Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Have fun, Silvertip! We just got back from 2 weeks on our property--stayed there in a little trailer, with elk parading through the property at dawn, and fresh scat from deer, moose, black bear...and the resident cougar ...Now we know exactly where the cabin is going in. We've been parking out one section of forest and clearing away deadwood, and taking down trees to improve our view of the Cabinets. I was finally able to sit and have my morning coffee and look up at the mountains! That will have to sustain me until our next vacation...how big is your cabin?

Only 20x20 with a half story loft. We will be adding a wrap around screened in porch on 2 sides as well.
Not huge, but we have an unbelievable view of the west side of the Crazy Mountains.

We installed the knotty pine kitchen cabinets my grandfather made in the 1970s, and I made new butcher block counter tops for them.
We got the stone apron and stonework wall put in, both the kitchen woodstove and the Franklin style heating stove installed this summer. Pretty comfortable, not big, and my father refused to have electricity put in because he didn't want the grandkids bringing their computers and tvs and whatever up there. I told him I could put in a waterwheel generator, but no go so we light with kerosene lamps and the only running water is running to the crick with a bucket

My mother gently hinted she wanted a springhouse up there for refrigeration, so I will try to build that while I am up there too.

It has been a lot of work for my 76 year old father and I, and my 90 year old uncle until he passed away, but it was always my father's dream to have that cabin up there.
We used logs from the place, 12 inch diameter squared to 8 inches on 2 sides, 14 inch 20 foot long log beams, lumber dad cut in his mill, and stone from the hill behind the cabin. Good steel roof protects it from the snow and heavy rains that come through.
It is nestled in a box valley that opens to the north, with a small stream running by out back, and we dug a small pond that the bears love to wallow in.

We can only get in there about 4 months out of the year because it sits at 6500 feet elevation and the snow really packs in there, but it is a glorious place to be.

My parent's little pug dog just about ran a Blonde phase Black bear over my mother a couple weeks ago, and a black bear was looking in the window the other morning.
Lots of elk bugling around there now, and there are Grizzlies that den in a rock slide to the south, a cougar that lives in the area, and wolves passing through.
I love to see the quakin' asp leaves changing colors in the fall, and during the summer the Indian Paintbrush and wild Iris bloom all over the meadow in front of the cabin.

Just being up there is probably as close to heaven as I will ever get

You will love your cabin too once you get it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,643,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
So how come all I could get was a bowl of gruel (oatmeal) and instant coffee???

I must not be living right I guess...

That is going to change though, spending the next 2 weeks at the cabin

VACATION IS FINALLY HERE!!

There were between 25 and 30 head of elk within 100 yards of the cabin Sunday morning, and a whitetail doe came walking within 15 yards of my father, nephew and I to get a drink while we were working in the yard.

The elk were bugling, but no real herd bulls, mostly younger ones. It appears to be too warm still to really send them into the "fever of Love", need a good frost to get things really rolling LOL.

I can't wait!!
Man I love that sound...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
No, not dreaming. And actually this morning, thats what we got. I was still hungry so they brought me two more boxes of cheerio's and a carton of milk. Now it's snack time and they brought me a peach, a small cup of peanut butter, and some crackers.
Are you sure you are not at kindergarten?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Only 20x20 with a half story loft. We will be adding a wrap around screened in porch on 2 sides as well.
Not huge, but we have an unbelievable view of the west side of the Crazy Mountains.

We installed the knotty pine kitchen cabinets my grandfather made in the 1970s, and I made new butcher block counter tops for them.
We got the stone apron and stonework wall put in, both the kitchen woodstove and the Franklin style heating stove installed this summer. Pretty comfortable, not big, and my father refused to have electricity put in because he didn't want the grandkids bringing their computers and tvs and whatever up there. I told him I could put in a waterwheel generator, but no go so we light with kerosene lamps and the only running water is running to the crick with a bucket

My mother gently hinted she wanted a springhouse up there for refrigeration, so I will try to build that while I am up there too.

It has been a lot of work for my 76 year old father and I, and my 90 year old uncle until he passed away, but it was always my father's dream to have that cabin up there.
We used logs from the place, 12 inch diameter squared to 8 inches on 2 sides, 14 inch 20 foot long log beams, lumber dad cut in his mill, and stone from the hill behind the cabin. Good steel roof protects it from the snow and heavy rains that come through.
It is nestled in a box valley that opens to the north, with a small stream running by out back, and we dug a small pond that the bears love to wallow in.

We can only get in there about 4 months out of the year because it sits at 6500 feet elevation and the snow really packs in there, but it is a glorious place to be.

My parent's little pug dog just about ran a Blonde phase Black bear over my mother a couple weeks ago, and a black bear was looking in the window the other morning.
Lots of elk bugling around there now, and there are Grizzlies that den in a rock slide to the south, a cougar that lives in the area, and wolves passing through.
I love to see the quakin' asp leaves changing colors in the fall, and during the summer the Indian Paintbrush and wild Iris bloom all over the meadow in front of the cabin.

Just being up there is probably as close to heaven as I will ever get

You will love your cabin too once you get it in.
I think I remember a photo from a window under constuction, any new ones?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Lunch menu says:

Ham
Potatoes hog rotten
greenbeans
Boston creme pie

Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM

hog rotten...LOL!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM

8,086 posts, read 15,111,493 times
Oooh, I haven't had Boston Creme Pie since I last ate in the dorm cafeteria at MSU. Yummy-yummy. They had really good cooks.

"Potatoes Hog Rotten" should go well with the ham

Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
ElkHunter, in between your gourmet dining, you might want to ask if you can get your free flu vaccine.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

8,086 posts, read 15,111,493 times
Ah, thanks for reminding us, I need to holler at the county about a flu vaccine too!

If you haven't had a pneumonia vaccine in a few years, that's another one that's good to get.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
ElkHunter, in between your gourmet dining, you might want to ask if you can get your free flu vaccine.
Sorry. I refuse to get a flu vaccine. I do get a pnemonia shot though.

Lunch was what they said it was going to be. Director is saving money. Slice of bread, but no margerin or anything to spread on it. Even when I worked in the jail we gave the dtainee's a packet of margerine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana