U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,345,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Up here, CarQuest has an 1100 CCA battery that is real reasonable. It has top posts (I use) and side posts. Most importantly it fits in my holders. They run $69.99. There have been many cold mornings that I was glad I had them. My truck holds two. One battery won't turn my truck over on a 80 degree day.
Your post has prompted me to put forth the following question:

My 2007 GMC has a 2nd battery holder under the hood that is empty. I think I want to put a 2nd battery in there just for "insurance" ,,,,,,since I'll be leaving on a fairly long trip quite soon going through some 'wide-open and desolute country" in Idaho and Utah....(these current weather conditions have caused me to want to be FULLY prepared for possible problems.).

QUESTIONS:

1/ Figure I'll get a duplicate battery same as is now in the GMC.........How do I "hook" it up" to the existing battery? POS to POS...or...POS to NEG?>>>OR
do I NOT hook it up to the existing battery?....and just have it sitting there as a "back-up battery" ,,,,in case the primary battery goes dead or is weak.?

2/ I'm running 5/30 Full Synthetic oil so that should help it turn over more easily than conventional oil....Right?

Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. At this age, driving alone on a trp, in these weather conditions, I don't want any un-expected problems.........................Thanks--Griz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM

7,544 posts, read 12,612,957 times
Related to Griz's question... my travel trailer has one of those hookups where as you drive it charges the trailer battery from the truck. This is all well and good except if you forget to unhook the trailer when you stop, cuz it keeps draining from the truck battery as you use the trailer's inside lights (the batteries equalize charge between 'em).

I'm wondering if there's a way to make that electrical a one-way trip, so it can charge from the truck but can't drain the truck when it's parked. A 2nd battery in the truck as part of the deal would be acceptable (there's a spot one could be jury-rigged into place, if necessary).

(Use small words. I Am Not An Electrical Dude.)

Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
2/ I'm running 5/30 Full Synthetic oil so that should help it turn over more easily than conventional oil....Right?
I use 20/50 (regular oil) in my truck. You'd think it would be slower to "lube up" when it's cold, but what seems to happen is that it doesn't drain down as fully, so things start off more lubed up than with thinner oil. Anyway it doesn't take as long to stop making that "I wish I had more oil" sound after it's cranked up.

Anyone tried that trick where you put a magnet on the oil filter to pull all the micro-metal shavings out of the oil? Regular oil breaks down anyway, but I'd think this could really extend the life of synthetic since the main reason for changing it is that eventually it just gets too dirty.

I talked to a guy who did it with regular oil and he said afterward the old dirty oil looked like it was fresh from the bottle, but the filter was packed solid with metallic crud, to where the bypass kicked in.

(I'm wondering why a magnet in the oil pan couldn't accomplish the same thing on a more permanent basis -- since you don't care where shavings wind up so long as they're not circulating.)

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
Default For using two batteries

Connect the two batteries in parallel, neg to neg (-) and pos to pos (+) and install a battery switch that you can just switch from one to the other or use both at once without leaving the cab of your vehicle. This is common on yachts.

I had a 48 Chevy panel truck that was made with a glass bell fuel filter housing with a magnet in it that also trapped water.

Last edited by Rickers; 11-24-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Speaking of yachts -- has anyone used a deep-cycle "marine" battery in a car or truck? I'm wondering if they might be better for vehicles that sit unused for long periods. I was told to put one in my travel trailer next time, for that reason.

They used to be way more expensive but I see Costco now has 'em at close to the same price as regular batteries.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,921,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Coffee is tasting mighty good this morning. It's -21. I need to run out to the mine and get a load of coal but I don't think the ole Ford is going to like it. At least it's not a Chevy. An Old Chevy is like a wife. On a cold morning, you can't get them to turn over.

I resemble that remark.
But I do agree on the Ford notion.

With the wind, -18 here on the prairie.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,921,687 times

but you know I will pass that one on....LOL!

(talking about Greens t-day post)

Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,732,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.........................Hey Wurzig................

I know you got a lot of "cold-weather clothes" for your daughter, and I hope she appreciates such a "thoughtful mom".............but did you ever think she'd be sitting in the stands at Washington/Grizzly Stadium with the temp arounf Zero ( and that's not figuring in the "wind-chill" factor with those "Hell_gate Canyon" winds whippin' on down into the area of the stadium.)

If the weather-man is correct, it could very well be zero late in the afternoon on Saturday. Let us know what her comments are when you speak to her after the game. GO GRIZ!!!!!

I just rec'd a revised weather alert on my DROID X...........low temps on Sat pm will be down around 10 to 15 during the game........................It's Tue and Wed when "the bottom will fall out". In some areas outside of Missoula {like down here in the Bitterroot) it may get to 15 to 20 below in the "wee hours of the morning.....like around 6 am".......Highs at mid-day will probably be around zero. If nothing else, an early cold-snap like this gets some new-comers to thinking: What the hell did I move here for???? ............. Can you say: "La Nina" !!!
Well, she got a bad cold right before the game and she had a huge essay to do, so she didn't go to the game.....I was so disappointed, (heck, if I had been there, I would have gone for sure!!!), but it was better that she try to feel better and get her homework done. I think she was disapponted that she didn't get to go to THE game of the season! She has been stressing and hauling a*s but she is getting good grades..I'm so proud of her for trying as hard as she does and never giving up!

Right now, I am spending all my spare time voting for Monte for the Capital One Mascot...it'll be announced on 1/1 in Florida...he's in the semifinals and we can only vote online starting this week..(no more texting)...boy, people are out for blood now.... The current one is a senior, a gymnast, and he has broken several bones over the years doing his stunts, so I hope he wins...he is a red-headed, low-key kid and nobody knows he is Monte....

I ordered some silk underwear for her from Land's End a few weeks ago...figured that was the thinnest and she would be more apt to put it on under her jeans... She is spending the holiday in Polson at her boyfriend's family's house....she arrived safely late yesterday..(thank gawd! Last week, after he dropped her off at UM, he had car trouble on that road and had to be towed in...found out his Jimmy needed a fuel pump. I was elated to hear that their Verizon cell phones work on that road!)...I hope she took her longjohns because it was in the single digits when she arrived....I am sure it's colder today....

It's just as well that she has stayed in Montana....a local friend (met her at orientation in August), has been trying to get her freshman-football-playing-son home since yesterday.....the plane was late leaving Missoula (weather) and he was stranded in SLC airport all night..... That is probably the same flight # that my girl will be on on the 17th.....(keeping fingers crossed).

It is colder than normal here, too..(certainly not in the single digits, but for us, cold)..and we had a cold rain last night. I haven't looked at any recent posts, but I am SURE that Rez is pretty danged chilly at his house, maybe with frost and a few icicles hanging off the roof...it snowed on The Grapevine last night, so holiday travel is going to be the pits.....

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,732,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Here is a pic of our regular visiting turkeys after their daily walk around our house just before our yard turned white.
At first glance, I thought that was a dead alligator, on his back, with his tail missing and long back legs........ROFL!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
At first glance, I thought that was a dead alligator, on his back, with his tail missing and long back legs........ROFL!
So, how'd that gator taste, stuffed and roasted??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana