U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times

Advertisements

Hmm, it was warm over this way today.

Last edited by jasper12; 12-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,339,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
.............................." and don't forget the glögg (yes, Klingon blood wine) recipe to celebrate the season: red wine, port, sugar, allspice, and cloves, heated up with sliced almonds and raisins! Cheers!"
........Hey Clark Fork Fantast.............

As I read your post and saw the word gloog... (don't know how to put the two little dots above the 'o')..... , my memory immediately went back in time to New Year's Eve 1949...........................

One of my best friends in high school was the son of Erik & Inga Jensen. They had a family cabin that was situated on the Wisconsin side of "Lac Vieux Desert" (Lake of the Desert). This lake is located right on the state line between Wisconsin & Upper Michigan. It was (and still is) an excellent lake for fishing: walleye, northern & my favorite:'Musky'.

As a pre high-school graduation gift, Erik & Inga told their son he could invite 3 of his friends to go along with them up to the cabin (a 389 mile drive) for a few days over the holidays. So New Year's Eve there we.... (just the 4 guys), Erik & Inga were at a local (adult) gathering.......were out on the ice....ice-fishing....., and doing quite well I might add: several walleye, and a couple of northern.

To help ward off the cold........we also had a nice little bon-fire AND a pot full of "gloog" hanging over the edge of the fire.....Erik had made it for us and had added just a minimal amout of Red Wine.......He said it would help keep us warm.
Pete the son (unbeknownst to his dad) had brought along a pint (each) of Brandy and Port..........which he added to the pot as soon as Erik had gone back to shore & on to their party.

Well.............you can guess the out-come "of this little ice-fishing party"

By midnight the four of us (and I had never had gloog before in my life)....well, let me put it this way..............: "I couldn't hit my a$$ with either hand"........none of us could stand "up-right" for more than a few seconds and we were singin' "Auld Lang Syne" so loud that Erik heard us and came out on the ice to see what was goin' on

And to top it off.........one of the "northerns" we had caught was actually a Musky and was "undersize"....................Needless to say: .....Erik was not too happy with us

The next morning was hell.............I never had such a headache in my life

To this day.........I have never had Swedish Gloog again........never,never, never

Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 PM

I have noticed a disturbing trend on Montana postings. It is usually a "Junior" poster, with no points, or less than 10, posting "pointed" questions about things like:
Can two gay men live in Helena? Yes, no one cares.
Can a black man with a white wife live in Helena? Yes, no one cares.

What is with people?! This is Montana, no one cares who you sleep with...just be nice folks.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,728,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
Hooray !!! days are getting longer !!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,297,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........Hey Clark Fork Fantast.............

As I read your post and saw the word gloog... (don't know how to put the two little dots above the 'o')..... , my memory immediately went back in time to New Year's Eve 1949...........................

One of my best friends in high school was the son of Erik & Inga Jensen. They had a family cabin that was situated on the Wisconsin side of "Lac Vieux Desert" (Lake of the Desert). This lake is located right on the state line between Wisconsin & Upper Michigan. It was (and still is) an excellent lake for fishing: walleye, northern & my favorite:'Musky'.

As a pre high-school graduation gift, Erik & Inga told their son he could invite 3 of his friends to go along with them up to the cabin (a 389 mile drive) for a few days over the holidays. So New Year's Eve there we.... (just the 4 guys), Erik & Inga were at a local (adult) gathering.......were out on the ice....ice-fishing....., and doing quite well I might add: several walleye, and a couple of northern.

To help ward off the cold........we also had a nice little bon-fire AND a pot full of "gloog" hanging over the edge of the fire.....Erik had made it for us and had added just a minimal amout of Red Wine.......He said it would help keep us warm.
Pete the son (unbeknownst to his dad) had brought along a pint (each) of Brandy and Port..........which he added to the pot as soon as Erik had gone back to shore & on to their party.

Well.............you can guess the out-come "of this little ice-fishing party"

By midnight the four of us (and I had never had gloog before in my life)....well, let me put it this way..............: "I couldn't hit my a$$ with either hand"........none of us could stand "up-right" for more than a few seconds and we were singin' "Auld Lang Syne" so loud that Erik heard us and came out on the ice to see what was goin' on

And to top it off.........one of the "northerns" we had caught was actually a Musky and was "undersize"....................Needless to say: .....Erik was not too happy with us

The next morning was hell.............I never had such a headache in my life

To this day.........I have never had Swedish Gloog again........never,never, never
Griz, as you can imagine, the tradition lives on! Nothing hits your blood stream faster that hot glögg with plenty of sugar, and the secret additional ingredient, brandy or schnapps! On a cold night it will make you feel like you're weightless--and next morning you'll swear you fell down on your head! Good memories...Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM

448 posts, read 921,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
ROFL! I remember that movie! EEK!
OMG!! I never thought of it that way !!!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 AM

448 posts, read 921,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have noticed a disturbing trend on Montana postings. It is usually a "Junior" poster, with no points, or less than 10, posting "pointed" questions about things like:
Can two gay men live in Helena? Yes, no one cares.
Can a black man with a white wife live in Helena? Yes, no one cares.

What is with people?! This is Montana, no one cares who you sleep with...just be nice folks.
I am reading a book about "Annie" who was born a slave, cooked for Custer and became a land owner outside of Phillipsburg. She saved Jocko, a white trapper, from the fever and they lived together happily ever after. It was against MT law for mixed marriages. Very well written book. Loved it

Old 12-25-2011, 08:57 AM

451 posts, read 847,767 times
Merry Christmas to all.

mg

Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,478,751 times
According to an article in today's (Sunday, December 25), Great Falls Tribune, Homesteading the Hi-Line: National Geographic article features northern Montana history, the National Geographic article, "Hi-Line, Hard Life", features northern Montana history and will be in the January 2012 issue of National Geographic magazine, which goes on newsstands Dec. 27.

The Great Falls Tribune explains, "It explores the Homestead Act, passed in 1862, and the resolve it took to build a new life along Montana's Hi-Line during this time. (David) Quammen (the magazine article's author) describes the hype created by the government around the Homestead Act, and the realities the homesteaders encountered such as droughts and long winters."

Old 12-25-2011, 05:33 PM

And, sadly, displacing Native Americans. Wonder if that will be mentioned in the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana