Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
They keep closing trails and roads to motorized use so the hikers have exclusive rights and then the trails go unused and become overgrown.
Then they have an excuse to close it entirely, citing that the hikers aren't using it either... the overgrown condition of the trail "proves" that. See how it works?

Bizarre thought: take a few thousand people up one of these trails. All at once. Somehow the odd jeep or four-wheeler doesn't sound so bad anymore, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Then they have an excuse to close it entirely, citing that the hikers aren't using it either... the overgrown condition of the trail "proves" that. See how it works?

Bizarre thought: take a few thousand people up one of these trails. All at once. Somehow the odd jeep or four-wheeler doesn't sound so bad anymore, eh?
Hypothetical situation.

What if????

Signs are posted in cardboard so that they can claim that they have no permanent deterents to use of the trail? They can then, eventually, close down the trail so that their job is easier as far as funding. They can claim that they have not intentionally shut down anything, however, they've reclaimed 30% of their budget.

Sounds to me like there have been some budget cuts and people are saving jobs by shutting down access to the people that pay their wages.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hypothetical situation.

What if????

Signs are posted in cardboard so that they can claim that they have no permanent deterents to use of the trail? They can then, eventually, close down the trail so that their job is easier as far as funding. They can claim that they have not intentionally shut down anything, however, they've reclaimed 30% of their budget.

Sounds to me like there have been some budget cuts and people are saving jobs by shutting down access to the people that pay their wages.
Hmmm... that may not truly be the agency's thinking, but it sure is the style of "unintended consequence" that certain radical treehugger groups are adept at creating. As someone once put it, never let a crisis go to waste.

It occurs to me that these trails took care of themselves for a hundred years before there even WAS any agency in charge of them, and weren't exactly suffering from it -- so the notion that they need "maintenance" is, directly in line with your speculation, a red herring.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Check out my "Homepage" when you click on 'montygarlic' in the header of this post.

Seeing as you are an actual BBQer (meaning you understand slow-cooking and not merely grilling), I'd be happy to send you a sample if you'll provide me a mailing address via a Private Message here...

mg
So are you going to have any booth at the Lewistown BBQ comp? Have ya thought of it?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Default Our visitors ~♥~

We had a visitor on our porch that left a deposit ! Turkey poop.
Here are two pictures of our regulars below. Look how close the turkeys are to the deer. My dog was on a cable about fifty feet from these deer and turkeys when I took this photo.
Yesterday a hunk of snow flopped down from the roof and startled our little parrot. She flew down to the ground and ran to our dog for protection.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TPMVQp6H7hI/AAAAAAAAH6U/h2vgpsmbFtE/s512/IMG_2007.JPG (broken link)

This little guy thinks he is the king of the yard and looks down on everyone !

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TPLMFZOtYbI/AAAAAAAAH40/hpjKcN07MMY/s512/IMG_1299-1.JPG (broken link)

Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Funny little Peek!

You have quite the menagerie rickers. Enjoy the photos

Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So are you going to have any booth at the Lewistown BBQ comp? Have ya thought of it?
Naw... I figure that after I send you the samples you'll go crazy for the stuff and just want to distribute it for huge fun and profits where ever you go to compete.

mg

Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM

Hey Montygarlic, I think my wife and I met you at a gun show once.
We were the ones with the cut out coins.
She, (my wife) also has a line of steak rubs and seasoning blends but she has not been doing much lately due to health issues.
I think it may have been the Polson street fair a few years back where we met you. There were so many, we used to do about 50 shows per year until we burned out.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Hey Montygarlic, I think my wife and I met you at a gun show once.
We were the ones with the cut out coins.
Yeah! I remember that! I was the one that smelled heavily of garlic.

Quote:
She, (my wife) also has a line of steak rubs and seasoning blends but she has not been doing much lately due to health issues. I think it may have been the Polson street fair a few years back where we met you. There were so many, we used to do about 50 shows per year until we burned out.
Shows and travel get old and expensive quickly. I did a couple food shows out East (think NYC) for the quick hits of 'big population'. That worked until our distributor there went belly-up.

I love doing shows, but hate the travel, prep, tear-down and expense. I'm pretty choosey in doing them anymore.

Gotta do a presentation to the folks at the U of M food service the day-after-tomorrow. Wish me luck.

mg

Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 AM

Default Big State ~ Small State.

Well Montana sure is a small state for being such a large state. ~
Everywhere we go we meet folks in other parts of the state who know other folks that we also know in our part of the state.
I've been a night owl lately and just watched the two most disgusting movies I have ever seen, in a row and am too embarrassed to even mention the name of the movies.
~
~

Oh what the heck they were Zombie Strippers and some other one where some nazi mad doctor sewed a few folks together. OMG .

I think I should hit the sack and have a few nightmares now.
I'm going ice water shooting with my camera later today when I wake up.

Picture below, ~♥~ I like our neighborhood. ~♥~

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TO_kSK3RNMI/AAAAAAAAHzE/2ePf3-zBaIs/IMG_1608-1.JPG (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana