U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,731,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
As luck would have it, it's raining this morning. Weather report all the way to South Dakota says rain withe severe, possible damaging hail in South Dakota. So I'm taking the truck. hahaha Also, the high today is supposed to be in the low 60's. I don't mind riding at that temp, but I'm not going to ride all day with a raincoat on at that temp. Just ain't gonna happen. haha
Good thing you trusted your gut! Just kinda makes me sad that you have to drive so far for medical stuff.

Windy here off and on all weekend.......was chilly on Friday was hot on Saturday....... Tomorrow I will see if the wind has damaged the new veggie garden that I have pretty much planted twice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 AM

With the warmer than average winter and spring, the bears are waking up earlier this year.....and they are hungry....plus the drought is also driving them to populated areas with more available water and snacks......aside from trash cans, crabapple trees are high on their lists....they will break into cars for something as simple as a flavored/scented chapstick There have been segments on the news this week about bears..several have already been drugged in Boulder and Aspen and taken back into the Rockies...they enter homes and scare the crap out of people.....there is talk about reintroducing grizzlies to CO., but it would take quite awhile...years...they'd slowly coerce them down from the Tetons area.....

Does one have to have some type of permit-license to buy bear spray? I don't need it, but I needed training in CA. (so that I could have a permit), to carry mace and that other stuff.......

Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Here is a good link about bear spray

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Bear Spray
Hmmm........I guess you just go into a sports store and buy it.......

Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 AM

225 posts, read 246,521 times
About a little over a wek ago Bruno was out in the yard and it was late at night... he went to barking like mad. It wasnt the normal "hey I see you " type of bark either. It was a mean, excited, growling, snarling, warning bark. Even mom's cat that was sitting on the back of the sofa by the window was growling!
Thinking maybe it was someone or maybe someones dog was a little too close to the fence I went out onto the porch and called Bruno back. He wouldn'tlisten.. and his fur was standing straight up.. I went and grabbed him by the collar and drug him back.. and yelled at him for not obeying... but he really really had his hackles up. It was too dark to see anything but when mom came out on the porch.. she asked me what it was.. I told her.. I dont know...but I could have swore that I had heard a growling in the distance and a sort of huffing noise.. I was thinking maybe that cougar was back around.
Well, yesterday I was over at the landlady's place getting some sand... and was talking to one of the neighbors who also owns the other trailer park... and asked him if he heard anything strange going on or anything about a cougar. He said no... but a lot of the dogs in the neighborhood were really acting up around about the same time as Bruno did. The other man there said well, I just live at the end of the dead end right there close to the creek...and it was probably a Black Bear he was barking at. I said WHAT!?? Then the man says.. yep.. he comes though almost every night or every other night.. probably about 300-400 pounds of bear. I'm like !@#$%^&!!!!
He asked me if I saw anything and I told him no... but I could have swore I heard a growl and a huffing noise. He said.. yep.. sounds like a bear to me!
The other guy told me.. if Bruno ever jumps the fence to go after it.. even as much as I love my dog... let him go. Or even if the cougar or bear has gotten over my fence and is in my back yard... forget the dog and get my butt back in the house and call the sheriff. Because 1. You cant see at night and have no idea what the heck is out there. 2. Be it cougar or bear... a dog aint no match for it. 3. Either the dog will scare it off... or make it mad... and if it makes it mad.. the dog is probably history and I would be next.
He is right... as much as I love my dog...I also have sense enough to know when to stand my ground and when to run.
Thankfully the porch light gives off enough light for me to see in the back yard.. thats about it. I am again going to ask the land lady to PLEASE put a light on our front porch so I can see out there at night as well.
Especially now. I dont want to get close enough to a bear to even try to use bear spray. Knowing my luck.. my can of spray would malfunction or I'd end up tying my fingers in knots trying to use it.

On a happier note.... I bought some vegetable plants the other day and set them out. I added more drainage holes and more rocks to the buckets and hopefully these will do good. still gonna try a few seeds though... but so far they look good.
I got 2 bags potting mix, 1 bag of moo poo (LOL), and I added some sand... mixed those all together and plopped the seedlings down in it. Wish me luck.!

EH you be careful too... we dont need you... or anyone else... being eaten by a bear.

Hope everyone is having a great day. I'll catch all you good people later on. Take care.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Two inches of SNOW!?! WTH!! And it is sticking, and more is falling. Shoot. I WAS going to go to Glacier today....hmmm...

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,476,745 times
We got 8 inches & then it snowed again last night & got a few more inches! No BBQ & shorts here!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM

160 posts, read 235,604 times
Hmmm........I guess you just go into a sports store and buy it.......

Thatís all you do. Walk in & walk out.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 AM

Hot and windy yesterday.
Chilly and windy here today. Very windy right now.
A neighbor's house burned tonight.......total loss.......propane bbq tank blew and flew into the house like a missle......fire everywhere and then the roof caught...devastating.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 5,539,869 times
This is a picture of our place just South of Anaconda near Grassy mountain on Saturday afternoon. lots of snow flying 6+ inches on the ground.
Sure a lot different than the weather here in NW Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-imagejpeg_3_2.jpg  

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,917,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Hot and windy yesterday.
Chilly and windy here today. Very windy right now.
A neighbor's house burned tonight.......total loss.......propane bbq tank blew and flew into the house like a missle......fire everywhere and then the roof caught...devastating.
So sorry to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana