U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM

17,168 posts, read 20,715,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
Nice rain last night/early am...watered my lawn that I watered yesterday, lol. Haven't been on here for awhile. Had back surgery a month ago and things are going well. Been working in my yard and puttering. Working on a garage sale this weekend if the weather will hold. Would love to get rid of stuff that I have had sitting in the garage for 6 months. We down sized from 1800 sq ft garage and 2300 sq ft home to a one car garage and lot smaller house!!. Hubby has been selling my treasures when ever I'm not around. Turd...Of course I've been spending his money at Home Depot and Lowe's making him a better home :-) Oh to rationalize?
Have a great day to all
Glad to hear things are going well after the surgery. Welcome back to the world of the unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,039,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I try to avoid Glogg if possible but I do like the occasional Mead.
My mother got the recepit for Lefsa from one of the women in Big Timber and makes it once in a while, but it is a standard at those Big Timber pot lucks, and they go through a LOT of it. Little real butter, lightly sprinkled with sugar, rolled up into a little cigar of pure heaven
I like it with honey as well. What can I say, I gots me a sweet tooth
My father loves to dip it in Chili, other folks will spread homemade jams or apple butter on it.
I have yet to find a way I DON't like it!!

Sorry for your experience at the doctors Elkhunter, not too fond of the species myself and avoid them if at all possible. If I wanted to spend that kind of money for sitting in a boring room for hours and hours for no benefit, well, that seems a little too much like jail for me.

Hope you don't have anything serious wrong with you. Get well soon anyway

I agree with you about Lutefisk too. First time I tried a mouthfull of that slimey stuff, (ok it was a small bit on the tip of a fork tine, but that stuff grows in your mouth, ) I was reminded of the story of the man who pulled a gun on a fellow and handed him a jug of old Popskull and ordered him to drink.
The poor fellow took a swig, coughed, gagged, hacked but finally managed to swallow it.
The first fellow handed him the gun and took the jug and said "now you hold the gun on me so I can drink".

I think that is about the only way I could EVER eat lutefisk again
thanks, I just spit out my coffee!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 AM

Hello neighbors,
Sorry but with my move there are just too many things to do in the garden, if I could just find a way to get paid without going to work....
How is everyone's summer going? EH is gotta learn the rule of thumb with docs, go with no expectation and then there is no stress. Just remind them at the bill paying time. We have new pup, hubs wants to train the new one with the old one (Springer) so I have lots of puppy prints to clean up now but you just gotta love the enthusiasm of a young dog. It has put a spring back into the household. My queen dashi however is quite done with the entire situation and has not left the back of the couch. The deer still graze through the pasture and we have a few bucks now coming by. There is a real difference from the Muleys of EM and the Whitetail in NWM. Beautiful fawn color. Still have only seen one moose however that is lucky since I am sure I do not want to see one on the highway.
I have lost my mind in the local garden centers so if you see this crazy women coming out with more plants than she can possibly take care of that would be me.
Have a great weekend!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM

I thought I was doing pretty good when I retired at age 53. What was I thinking? I work harder now than when I got paid to work hard.

Remember last year when I flooded? Ain't going to happen again. We decided that the best way to keep that from happening was to raise this 3 acres by about 2-3 feet. Problem, where do we get that much dirt and how do we get it here. Problem solved. Free dirt, free delivery. But they dump and run, we have to move it where we want it. So Mike on his 9N Ford, and me with my snow blade on my 4 wheeler.

The dirt started arriving yesterday. 33 loads brought in. Approximately 200+ loads to go. Onely 1 load had concreate chunks in it. That's fine, we'll use the concrete to line the creek bank. The rest has been mostly dirt with a little gravel in it. That's also fine as it'll grown grass. This is not going to be a weekend project.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Shazam! Now that is a project!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,332,108 times
Default ..pls excuse "an-old-fart" that likes to work with numbers.....

......Hey Elk.....(aka: The :Earth-Movin-King)

just read your post and it got me to thinkin'....................

1st of all that's "one hell-of-a-project".......I admire your tacklin' movin' & grading that much dirt........

2nd: what will you do about the "lower-level" of your cabin?....as related to the surronding grade being 24 to 30 inches higher??

3rd:.... I did the math on raising the grade of 3 acres by just 24 inches...................it works out to having approx 9700 CUBIC YARDS of dirt brought in..........that's approx 650 truck loads (at 15 cu/yds per truck......).

I know you've put a lot of thought into this and I realize you will probably "taper" the increase of 24 inches down to the existing grade all along the "edges" of the 3 acres..........but it still is "one hell-of-a-lot-of dirt" ..........I wish you a "rain-free" period of time for the next 4 to 5 weeks.. ...and a "good price" on an awful lot of grass seed

....MATH: ..... 43560 x 3 x 2' divided by 27 = 9680.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Hey Elk.....(aka: The :Earth-Movin-King)

just read your post and it got me to thinkin'....................

1st of all that's "one hell-of-a-project".......I admire your tacklin' movin' & grading that much dirt........

2nd: what will you do about the "lower-level" of your cabin?....as related to the surronding grade being 24 to 30 inches higher??

3rd:.... I did the math on raising the grade of 3 acres by just 24 inches...................it works out to having approx 9700 CUBIC YARDS of dirt brought in..........that's approx 650 truck loads (at 15 cu/yds per truck......).

I know you've put a lot of thought into this and I realize you will probably "taper" the increase of 24 inches down to the existing grade all along the "edges" of the 3 acres..........but it still is "one hell-of-a-lot-of dirt" ..........I wish you a "rain-free" period of time for the next 4 to 5 weeks.. ...and a "good price" on an awful lot of grass seed

....MATH: ..... 43560 x 3 x 2' divided by 27 = 9680.
Not the entire 3 acres will need dirt. None of the buildings flooded, all of them are built higher than where the water got to. For instance, my cabin is built on 38 inch tall pillars and I have 4 steps to go down. When done, I will have 2 steps to go down. One end of the corral stayed dry, as did the barn, the hay barn, the shed, the shop and the far end of the driveway. So, about 1/2 of the place needs built up. We are leaving two drainage ditches so as not to put our problem on the neighbors by flooding them. They flooded before, and will flood again, but it won't come from this place. haha Behind the big house, we have about 3 ft to put in and it's about 30ft by 200 ft. Then in front of my cabin in the big open area needs filling, and then part of the corral. We don't think the 200 loads will do everything we want to do. 200 loads is all we're going to get out of a project going on in town. They are taking out a street that is currently gravel and the are taking it down about 3 feet to replace it all with good roadbed so they can pave it. That street is about 6 long blocks long.

Behind the big house is a row of evergreen trees and then another 20 ft to the creek. The evergreens are close enough together that we can't drive the 9n between them without damaging them. So Mike is dumping a bucket in the gap between two trees and I'm pushing it with my snow blade. I can push and spread faster than he can go get a bucket at a time. So tomorrow, we're going to fire up the dump truck here on the place and use it. Fill it with the 9N and then back up and dump a pile between each set of trees and I'll push. I'll bet I can still push it faster than he can go fill the dump truck again. hahahaha

We're figuring this project will take the better part of a month or better. Even though we're bringing a track Bobcat in here starting next week.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,332,108 times
......Sounds like you "got her all figured out"........I'll still pray you get a MINIMUM amout of rain in the next 5 weeks.

That BobCat should be a real help................I've got a neighbor about a thousand yards away who has one and it's amazing what a person can do with one of those.........they sure can "turn-on-a-dime" and they're so "quick".
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

How's the fishin' been there in the river.........is it runnin' clear now....................the B.R. River here just now is running clear & the Salmon Fly Hatch just started, so the fishin' is really pickin' up.

Ketch ya later..........

Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 PM

The river has been clearing up and as a matter of fact, I bought nightcrawlers and "was" going to be fishing today or tomorrow, but then the dirt started showing up. hahaha

I'll sneak out there Monday morning about 5:30 and see how they are biting.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM

508 posts, read 967,466 times
Smile New Neighbor . . . soon!

Hi Everyone!

Are potential neighbors welcome on the porch? Like so many others, I'm ready for a change and heading, hopefully, to Sweetgrass County. I've been assured by other residents that I'll fit right in! I was the only kid in school, boy OR girl, wearing cowboy boots with a hat in my locker! At the time I was a trail guide on a ranch in . . . wait for it . . . MIAMI!!! It wasn't my fault!! I had to live wherever my parents lived! Now, I'm the only pastor I know with a horse, dogs, cats, chickens, etc. Could you imagine ME in a parsonage!? I currently live in the Appalachian Mtns, oops! Sorry, the Appalachian HILLS, of Western North Carolina. I have lived at 3500' for about 12 years now. Our winters are only about 10 degrees warmer than Big Timber and we get about the same avg amount of snow, so I think I'll be OK.

I don't want to talk about religion but I do want to know about the churches in the area. We don't have any Evangelical Churches where I'm coming from, so they are new to me. The other churches in the area seem to be about the same as they are here. I am curious about the absence of the United Methodist Church in Big Timber, while other towns have two or even three UMC's!

Do the churches work together? I noticed that there is a food pantry (food bank) for the poor in Big Timber. Are there other church led assistance ministries in the county? Where I live now most of the churches are traditional southern gospel or traditional 'liturgical' (lutheran, episcopal, etc.) with a few contemporary churches, both denominational and non-denom. We also have Cowboy churches in a few local communities. We have VERY few LDS churches in this area.

I may not be working as a pastor in Montana, but I'm also curious about how women pastors might be accepted in rural Montana. I have noticed that there aren't any in Big Timber! I know there are different interpretations of the role of women in the bible and in our churches and I do NOT want a debate. At least not here on the porch! Just neighborly discussion!

Now I'll just put my feet up and listen for a spell!

Nice to meet you all!

Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana