Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times

Advertisements

Cold and rain in Glacier Park today...sunny for a few hours...pack you coat if you head up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Wow! Looks nice, but just an fyi, when you pile that much soil right next to a tree or shrub, it may kill them.
Yup, I know, but it's like this. Tree, or flood? hmmmmmm. Can replant new trees. hahahaha

If you notice the trees are outside of where we piled dirt. We are going to put about 6 inches of dirt around the tree and wait a couple 2 or 3 months and then put another 6 inches and then see what happens. If we loose the trees, we loose the trees. We can't take another flood like last year.

105 degrees today but only 12% humidity. Tell me that's not a forest fire waiting to happen.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,109,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yup, I know, but it's like this. Tree, or flood? hmmmmmm. Can replant new trees. hahahaha

If you notice the trees are outside of where we piled dirt. We are going to put about 6 inches of dirt around the tree and wait a couple 2 or 3 months and then put another 6 inches and then see what happens. If we loose the trees, we loose the trees. We can't take another flood like last year.

105 degrees today but only 12% humidity. Tell me that's not a forest fire waiting to happen.
............Glad the "Mother-Earth-Project" is going well............... considering where that earth is coming from, you should not have a problem with "weed-seeds"............we hope!

One thing you may want to consider regarding he trees that will have considerable dirt over their root area......

I've been told that if you place (4) lengths of 4" dia Septic Field Plastic pipe vertically, 90 degrees apart....(length to be determined by final depth of dirt),, place them so they form a 36 to 40 inch dia circle........they will allow the "original-soil-level" to still get enough "air to the underlying root structure" and possibly eliminate the chance of losing the trees. Some of those appear to be "Blue Spruce" (my favorite)....it'd sure be a shame to lose them........................ Don't know for sure, but seems it might be worth a try..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
............Glad the "Mother-Earth-Project" is going well............... considering where that earth is coming from, you should not have a problem with "weed-seeds"............we hope!

One thing you may want to consider regarding he trees that will have considerable dirt over their root area......

I've been told that if you place (4) lengths of 4" dia Septic Field Plastic pipe vertically, 90 degrees apart....(length to be determined by final depth of dirt),, place them so they form a 36 to 40 inch dia circle........they will allow the "original-soil-level" to still get enough "air to the underlying root structure" and possibly eliminate the chance of losing the trees. Some of those appear to be "Blue Spruce" (my favorite)....it'd sure be a shame to lose them........................ Don't know for sure, but seems it might be worth a try..
That's an outstanding recommendation. We have a lot of 3 inch and 4 inch PVC and septic pipe in the shed. Parts and pieces left over from puttin gin 2 cabins and 3 RV spaces. We'll give it a try. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM

53 posts, read 90,370 times
Talking I'm Back .................

Hey gang,

Sorry it took so long, I came back from the roadtrip only to have to catch up at work boy that was rough. Then I was downloading my 1500 pics to the computer and I stupidly clicked on??? and caught a virus..... ... took 2 weeks but I was able to save my laptop and all of my photos .... scared the bejesus out of me....won't have that blonde moment again... oh and did I mention that I deleted all the photos off of my camera immediatly because I was downloading and tranferring them right away, thank goodness I was able to save them, my momma would have been very sad since I usually take most of the pics (photography my favorite pasttime).... hee-hee but I am all good now...

Next, I had to help my darling get ready as he finished up work here and is now actually in Penn. heading to the Oil Fields. What can I say it's in his blood, between the flight deck in the NAVY - Aviation Fuels and hauling finished product fuels, oil, gas, diesel, kerosene for he past 20 years he might as well go for the crued oil and make some good $$ and besides we just love it out there, well not the oil field part, but the beautiful country part.

Now I myself won't be out until Mid-Nov, which will be here before I know it. I will be lookin at working somewhere between the triangle of Billings - Bozeman - Great Falls, at least that is the plan. Can't wait to get this adventure in action mode !

I have to take care of a few things this morning, when I return will give you all an update on my adventurous travels with my partner in crime... my mom of course! Thelma and Louise that we are !

By the way I am very upset to hear about all the fires that have been going on, I have been keeping track of what is going on out that way and it saddens me. I hope everyone stays safe and I pray for rain, for the firefighters to be safe, the winds to subside, and for all my new wonderful friends here on the porch!

I'll be talking atcha later... take care and be safe !

Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Happy Independence Day to all on the Montana Forums

This is my favorite holiday, and a day for rememberance of all my friends all over the world. I count my Shipmates Elkhunter and Monte among these fine people.

I was proud to serve, some of my friends are still serving, and I always set aside today to remember them and their dedication, sacrifice and hard work all over the world.

I also remember the members of my family that have served this country since before it was a country in the French and Indian wars. My 2 relatives who Served in the Indiana Calvary, that died at Andersonville Prison Camp in Georga during the Civil War, my family member who is forever on patrol in the North Atlantic when his sub didn't come home in World War 2.
My family is even related to Libby Custer, wife of Lt. Col. George Armstong Custer who fell in 1876 on the hills above the Little Bighorn River in Montana.

MY Great Great Grandfather who served in the Indian Fighing Army of the west, the Great Great Grandfather on my Grandmother's side who served in the Union Army Engineers and lost his feet in the American Civil War during the siege of Richmond at Petersburg, My Great Uncle who served in France in WWI, My Uncle who served in the Pacific in WW2, My cousin who served in Viet Nam, and all the others who have sweated or shed blood in every war to protect this country since the first July 4th in 1776.

I served in Bosnia and Kosovo, and in support of the last couple of wars in the middle east until my family needed me more and I was Honorably Discharded from the United States Navy in 2005. I was Honored to take my place and stand shoulder to shoulder with those who have gone before me. I can stand tall in their ranks when I meet them on that far Fiddlers Green, and be able to look them square in the eye and tell them, "I did my duty, I am worthy to stand with you in Paradise".

I am so very proud of the citizens of this country who are willing to step forth and be counted whether in the Uniform of our country, the local police or Fire Department, (I have friends from my fire service years on the fires today), to serve on school boards or city councils, who volunteer to help our elderly, or even those who make the effort to be part of our Republic by putting forth the effort to learn about the issues that face us today, and then actually go to the polls and vote to put the best people available on the job to keep our country strong.

To all the patriotic citizens of this great experiment in the rights of men, (and women) to govern themselves, and not be beholden to a king or nobility, I wish you all the very best Independence Day ever.
Happy Birthday America, and many, MANY more!!!

Johnny Cash - The Old Ragged Flag - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usk81...eature=related

I am Proud to be an American. God Bless our USA.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 07-04-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

At one time yesterday, the fire (Ash Creek) was headed for Ashland Mt at approximately 70 mph. Some of you know that there is a Amish Colony up there. They got word at the last minute and were not able to load wagons or anything. Matter of fact, nobody is sure if all the people made it out. But here is the YouTube video of the Amish getting on down the road. Sad. Reports this morning said they couldn't find any of the Amish. I suspect they had a emergency evac place that they would regroup. Also, reports are that nothing is standing of their Colony. That's where we go to get parts and pieces for wagons and we get our wheels made there.

2012 Ashland, MT Amish Fire Evacuation - YouTube

Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM

53 posts, read 90,370 times
That is so terrible, I hope they all made it out and are safe somewhere. I will send them some of my prayers ...

Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Fireworks were banned in Helena....due to fire danger. I hope no fires start due to reckless fireworks today.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Fireworks were banned in Helena....due to fire danger. I hope no fires start due to reckless fireworks today.
Total Fire ban down here. No campfires on the mountain and no fireworks in any of the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana