Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

The issue is the recent "Scratchgravel" fire was out of town...that is where the real danger is...with all those dead pine trees because of the pine beetles. This winter was mild...not much snow..trees around here are dry as kindling. We had a training recently on emergencies...fire danger is high this year. Even higher than earthquakes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
My neighbors drove up to Ashland to see if they could help. The Amish have been found, safe, and what's more is the Amish Colony is untouched. Their grass land is so green and they are right down on the river, so everything was saved there.

Around Ashland, there are approximately 25 ranches and homesteads that are burnt.

At least there is some good news to report.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Did everybody survive the 4th?

This morning, we kind of have mixed feelings about the weather. Our forecast calls for Thunder Boomers today. It's great that a little bit of rain helps the fire fighters, however, the lighning from the storms seem to light more fires. We need the rain though.

Yesterday, due to how dry we are, there is a total fire ban in the County. We can't even burn our trash in the burn barrel. As such, there were no fireworks displays. Claremont, Ranchester, etc, always has a display as well as we put on a pretty good one here too. But they were all shut down.

Yesterday, my nose was running and my eyes watering from all the smoke in the air. Then, a light breeze came up about 1pm and cleared the smoke out and we could actually see the mountains, just 5 miles away. Late in the afternoon Timber and I took a ride on my 4 wheeler and on the way home I spotted a good photo op. I appologize for the quality, I took it with my cell phone. Sunset shining through the smoke.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Got rain last night in Red Lodge area & hear some in Yellowstone. Much needed & need more!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Good morning,

I don't know if you have heard about the malware that infected thousands of computers over a year ago. The malware is designed to change your DNS server and you will loose your internet service. The FBI has set up a site so you can log on and have the site scan your computer. If you have the malware virus, it will assist you on cleaning it up. The malware is set to activate on Monday, July 9, 2012. So, come Monday, if you loose internet, don't blame me. hahahaha I scanned mine this morning and it's good to go.

That site is Detect | DCWG

Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM

How come everybody is so quiet? When you hide from the heat and set around in the A/C, you should have time to compute. haha

I got me a job. It's a desk job. One of those that I might work today, then Tuesday of next week, and then Friday Saturday and Sunday of that week. But that's perfect. The desk weighs 70,000 lbs though and the A/C doesn't work. Oh well, I'll just keep the windows down.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
"COUGH COUGH COUGH" "COUGH COUGH"
Sorry, too much smoke to hold a conversation "HACK COUGH WHEEZE"

Don't know about anybody else, but between trying to get some work done for my folks, moving cows, haying, gardening, trying to get some wood for the winter, and hold down a full time job, about the only time I have for the boards is during my break at work

Sounds like your new job will come with a good view as well.

I know the only AC my old truck has is the 2/70 type. 2 windows down at 70 miles per hour

Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Well, even my 2/70 AC unit won't work worth a crap. Max speed of my new office will be 2.5-3 mph. Couple that with a 160 degree 3,100 gallon tank on the back, I'm thinking I'll need plenty of water.

A friend of mine has an Asphalt company. He can't find a qualified distributor operator and unfortunately, I know how, so he recruited me to drive the distributor. He picked up one at auction that has been setting for months, so I spent all weekend, and yesterday, pulling plumbing apart and cleaning nozzles and such. This morning I finally put 500 gallons of water in it and heated it up to 180 and run some paths up and down the road here blowing water. They were waiting on me and the two rollers, but now they are waiting on rollers. haha We have 5 miles of asphalt to lay this week. Short week if everything works.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I really feel bad for the people who have suffered so much during the heatwave for the past two weeks. Many are just not prepared for such high temps. Our summer where I live is about 7 months long with highs every day 86° to 93° and lows from 75° to 83°......oh, high humidity too. Praying for rain to douse the fires, cool fronts to lower the temps and hurricanes to stay the he(( away from the U.S.A.!

I read (online) in the Billings Gazette...that Red Lodge was up to nearly 100°! Wow! Hang on folks and don't forget to drink lots of water!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Heatwave? Please...this is my first Montana summer in years, and I am FREEZING! Every one tells me how hot it is outside, so I go out there, and it is NOTHING. I am used to Vegas and Miami summers...this ain't nothin.

Even 100 is nothing here...it does not feel that hot outside, to me. I want to go to Vegas next month, just to warm up, and enjoy real summer weather. It feels too cold out there for a swimsuit, if you ask me...heck, I still have my electric blanket on every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana