U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,600,833 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a good practical breed of cattle, especially for rough country and tired old ranchers I'm gonna have to get a look at some (and maybe a taste of some ) in the flesh someday.

From all you say, I'm thinkin' they're probably more genetically related to bison than to conventional beef cattle. A DNA study would be right interesting.

Is that long thick hair suitable for use as wool? do they shed it like a hair sheep?? How's the milk for human use, do they make enough surplus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM

4,911 posts, read 5,797,394 times
Actually they are most closely related to the Bos and Auroch the ancient Pleistocene (Ice Age), wild oxen of Europe. (The ones whose portraits are on cave walls). There are historical accounts dating back to the Roman occupation of Brittan describing cattle very close to the Highlanders. If you read the stories about Rob Roy, the cattle he was stealing were probably Highlanders.

The modern Highlander is what was bred by the Scotts on the outlying islands around Scotland. The cattle would be swam across the ocean channels to the mainland and then driven to London for market. They tried to breed for longer legs, but found the shorter legs hold up better for that long journey, so the modern Highlander has short legs.

The genetics are very closely watched these days, and any Scotty sold as purebred will have to have a gentetics test.

Funny thing, with the advent of the European Union, the Highlander Breed book had to be made compatible with other European countries where they are now raised. Germany for instance allows registration of 7/8ths pure Highlanders, so currently, the most genetically pure Scottish Highlander cattle are in the US and Canada.

I like the milk, and they do produce enough for both humans and their calves. They are not a dairy breed, so don't look for 5 gallons a day per cow, but there is enough for someone to have a tall glass of fresh milk or pound of fresh homemade butter when they want
What we are doing with our is because we don't sell milk, we just take a bucket from a cow when we need it, and let the calf have it the rest of the time.
I believe the milk is lower in butterfat than the Jersys we used to have, but the butter we have made is good, so it just depends on what you want.

We are breaking a team as oxen, and while not huge animals, they are quickly picking up what we want them to do. My father built a small covered wagon and wants to drive them in parades. The team isn't accustomed to crowds yet, but I don't see that will be any problem with just a little work. The team is completely gentle. We used 2 heifers as a start to see if we could do it, and Daisy and Belle are proving to be a lot of fun to work.

I don't know of anybody using the undercoat for anything, but I don't see why you couldn't except it is pretty coarse. They shed it in patches through the outer layer.

I have a bull calf from this spring that will be making his journey to the freezer for my parents and I, but it will be next year before he is ready. He is a Highlander/Red Angus cross. Excellent for meat, grows a little faster and bigger than the purebred Highlander, and I get to keep my purebreds by using the cross for meat.

I know several breeders in Montana, (they are gaining popularity and are getting pretty widespread), and there is one guy in Belgrade who sells the processed meat all year round. It is free range, grass finished, and processed locally so it is as good a meat as you will find anywhere.

The family we got our seed stock from used to fill a freezer trailer and take a trip and sell to gourmet restaraunts along a route. They made good money at it too.

They are a low maintenance cattle, and would be great for a small herd for someone just wanting to raise enough for their own use, and perhaps sell one or 2 to support the rest.

Anyway, I sure enjoy having them

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Silvertip, you can talk about those cows all day long, fun reading!

Started the day with a flat tire on the half-loaded #2 trailer... pumped it up and now letting it sit a while to see if I gotta change it or if it'll make it to town (was gonna go get the bearings greased) ... Ain't pulling too good yet, being only the back half is really loaded up. Hope I don't have to delete or redistribute too much.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
Big news...Jasper12, will have a TV debut!! WOW! How many of you watch "Aging Horizons"? Okay...I am going to be a major TV star...Tune in...I will let you know later.
Department of Public Health & Human Services -- Senior and Long Term Care Division

Last edited by jasper12; 07-16-2012 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,440,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Big news...Jasper12, will have a TV debut!! WOW! How many of you watch "Aging Horizons"? Okay...I am going to be a major TV star...Tune in...I will let you know later.
Department of Public Health & Human Services -- Senior and Long Term Care Division
I hope it has English sub-titles.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
My boss thinks maybe three people watch the show. But...maybe those three people are veterans...or know veterans...and thus..will be an effective multi-media extravaganza to give publicity regarding all the great programs at the VA.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 AM

225 posts, read 246,415 times
Hi everyone. I went back to the doc today for a follow up. BP was 138/98.... stilla little high but a LOT lower than before.
I have to take 2 different BP meds plus 1 clonidine 2x a day. Doc also put me on Lyrica for my Fibromyalgia and that is 75 mg 2x a day.
As for my hernia.. we just gonna watch it and me take it easy because 1. I dont have insurance 2. they prob wont operate on it right now anyway because of my weight and BP issues.
I am still on the advair 2x a day and the albuterol inhaler for "emergencies".. which I have had to use a couple of times.
She wants to see me back in 2 weeks.
Hopefully my BP will stay stable. Again, she advised me to apply for disability as she can not see me working. Which kinda stinks because I would make more if I worked. Then again.. cant work if I cant breathe and am in constant pain. What good would I be to the employer? NONE.
If I am approved for disability I will at least have some help with my prescriptions. Doc also gave me a coupon to where I only have to pay 25 per month for Lyrica for a year! That's good... I can use that to help pay for the meds until when/if I am approved for disability.

@Silvertip.... I was looking at those cattle on google and reading up on them. When I went to bed I dreamed of me having a mini farm and I had about 5 of those Scotties .... but they were talking!!!... and they sounded like Craig Ferguson...That's what I get for watching the late shows. hahahah

EH how is your arm doing? Hope its getting better.

@Jasper... congrats on the TV program. Hope it goes well.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Have a great day!!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM

I got a property inquiry and it's a scammer, he sent this back:
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me and i want you to understand that i m a business man and helping various clients to order there needs is my business. and i will like to know the final asking price and if you can at list email me recent picture and will you allow local pick up of the item and will you accept bank check as mode of payment...?If you will accept my offer email me name and address along with contact mobile phone for further instruction asap.
I couldn't resist... I told him I would sell the property for $10 per cubic yard picked up, cash only, no checks.

That's a great price. Sand and gravel was $12/yard last I checked.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM

225 posts, read 246,415 times
HAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
GOOD ONE!!!
Wonder what he's thinking now?? rofl

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,339,856 times
...............Hey Elk..................

I was just catching up on some of the Threads in the Montana Forum, and decided that I'd like to say the following:

.....Elk, "you've got the patience of a saint"!!! Guess that's why you're a Mod and I'm not.....(ol' Grump that I am).

Ketch ya later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana