U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times

Advertisements

Sandpoint is a cute little area, not too far from Rickers I think.
Now me....well it would nearly be a days ride to get anything in the ethnic world. However with all the going ons in Williston, I am expecting at least a taco truck there anyday not. Only a 3 hour drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
Wink Cooking up A Photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Isn't Idaho kind of a long way to go for a Mexican dinner? I wish you were here Rickers,
I have been all over Az., New Mexico, Ca., Texas etc. I love the food down there but there is no way we will ever live down in sun country ever. Someday when our rich uncle gets out of the poor house (when we can find a buyer for our kayak dealership or flip our building in a year or two) we may get a camper or motor-home and migrate seasonally.

If we do head south for winters we would be heading for the real south for the southern cooking. We make much better Mexican food at home than most of the authentic Mexican restaurants even in the southwest.

I grew up amongst a mixture of Mexican folks and Jewish and white bread surfing folks ! Go figure. !!! (I also have Jewish and Mexican relatives).
We live in Trout Creek now and Sandpoint is a lot closer than going in any other direction for real Mexican food cooked by Mexican folks.

The owner at the place in Sandpoint and I went to the same schools in San Diego and we used to eat at the same places like Porkeyland, El Indio, etc. I worked in Barrio Logan for over ten years.
If I were to go to a Mexican Restaurant in Montana of the same type, (owned and run by Mexican folks), I would either have to drive to Missoula or Kalispell and that would be almost an all day ordeal for us. We are real close to Sandpoint here in Trout Creek. Even shopping is cheaper in Idaho with sales tax.
We may be going back over the hill to the prairie for a while. We have work to do on our old Sears building there. We just took a break out here in the sticks for a year (and for my wife's surgery, In my opinion the docs suck over on the east side). She has a surgeon in Missoula that is excellent but our lease here is getting close to term and we need to go finish what we started.
I may reopen our little store but not as a gift/hand-craft/kayak shop but this time we may opening it up as an art gallery with my photos and rock etching and paintings. (we wont make any real money though) I made a verbal commitment to our bank that we would not let the building sit empty. Our last tenant was a bit flaky for Conrad. The town didn't like him much, I think he tried to open up a M.M. dispensary right next to city hall so it seems as though someone treated him like crap and drove him out. He was a troubled odd bird anyway, did not want to even attempt to fit in or get along with the neighbors.

Sniff sniff, ~~~

I think I'm smelling something, is it a Mexican food breakfast ?, No.
Is it deer and turkey poop ? No.
Nope, I think I smell a photo coming up soon. The oven is on and a nice photo is rising nicely. Please folks don't slam the screen door on the porch too hard or my almost baked photograph will collapse ! ~♥~

Looking forward to floating The Marias River again in my Tupperware Trawler.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TOTMKaTJTbI/AAAAAAAAHfE/YaFEQLSd8tw/s512/294%20pics%20213.jpg (broken link)

Portions of the Marias river have cactus flowers along the upper riverbank edges and you can see them from the river while floating.

Pic below is of a prickly pear cactus flower in north central Montana near Tiber dam.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TOTQdLPyg4I/AAAAAAAAHfk/2ohz8h3FMkA/s512/294%20pics%20157-2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Rickers; 12-05-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM

451 posts, read 848,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
... We do have some ferret's running around here and they're not a problem, but I wonder if they have effected the mice population?
A friend from the Midwest who raises and rescues ferrets assures me that they are prodigious mousers. He claims that the fact of you having ferrets, (or their cousins, the weasels), around is a strong indicator of a healthy mouse or vole populations, since they are a mainstay in the diet of ferrets in the wild.

mg

Old 12-05-2010, 11:40 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
A friend from the Midwest who raises and rescues ferrets assures me that they are prodigious mousers. He claims that the fact of you having ferrets, (or their cousins, the weasels), around is a strong indicator of a healthy mouse or vole populations, since they are a mainstay in the diet of ferrets in the wild.
True of any predator... if it's present, then it is being fed by a prey population, even if you DON'T see that. Spiders in your house means there are bugs to eat (which you don't see cuz the spiders eat 'em), and so on.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM

451 posts, read 848,360 times
As for the Tex-Mex cuisine...

There's a guy in Thompson Falls with a catering trailer who offers the best Spanish food around. The trick is finding where he is going to be and when. He moves between Sanders, Lincoln, Flathead and Lake Counties. Or did... Haven't seen him over this way in a while...

Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,310,055 times
Aww Rickers, you have to promise to come back to Cabinetland! I don't want to lose a good summer neighbor! Yes, Sandpoint is a short hop from Trout Creek, and there are a LOT of good restaurants! MickDuff's is a must! But you be careful now, driving on Highway 200 along the lake in icy weather just for those tamales!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
Sandpoint has so much more snow than us here in T.C. That lake creates a bit of lake effect snow but at the same time as you go east and higher in elevation the snowfall is less as you enter the rain shadow.
Plains has not much snow and Camas Prairie up on the rez hardly gets any.

We just had about 15 or 20 turkeys in our yard today. They sure don't look very happy trudging through the snow looking for food.
I feel like giving them some of Peekaboo's food but I think it's against the law and I believe that the ones who can't make it on their own should be subject to Darwin's law.
I could have taken one so easily for our thanksgiving dinner as we had a budget malfunction and ended up eating pancakes. We didn't even have gas to go to a free supper somewhere.

I hope the turkeys are thankful that we keep our dog tethered while outdoors and I know they must be thankful for our backyard sanctuary. We protect them even though they don't have green cards !

Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm wondering if anyone raises wild-stock turkeys as domestic eatin' birds... seems to me they'd adapt easily. Canadian geese sure do, given the slightest encouragement.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
...our thanksgiving dinner as we had a budget malfunction and ended up eating pancakes.
I did that one year... trouble is, I like pancakes. Homemade buttermilk pancakes. Dang, now I wish I had some buttermilk, you know what I'd be eatin' for dinner... pancakes with butter and sugar on top, yummy!

One time I didn't have any buttermilk so I made them with a strange mix -- one can of "low fat evaporated milk" (I have no idea where I got that abomination) and one cup of whipping cream. The pancakes were bright yellow inside, rose as they cooked to be about 1.5" thick, and were absolutely delicious. I didn't adjust the recipe for using sweet milk, as I vaguely recall (this was like 1974!) so who knows what strange chemistry resulted. They were more like cake than pancakes.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,296 times
You are giving me ideas Rez! and I like eatin' turkey and have some space I need to make productive... hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana