U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,611,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is still not so bad. I remember 20 years ago, or so, a winter we had over thirty days, when it never went above 0. That was a long January. Oh yeah.
Oh yeah... winter of 1969-69, never got above zero for a month in Great Falls. Which is warmer than some parts of MT!

And I still walked to school every day and thought that was normal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Every year, 30 people get eaten by the abominable snow man in Montana. I couldn't pass up posting this one.
HAHA!!

And just for that... this is from up the road a piece from where I lived in SoCal.. the scary thing is, I know all these places...

Stuck in Palmdale Again - YouTube

Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 AM

225 posts, read 246,585 times
ROFLMAO @ EH

Too funny! gotta share that on my facebook page.

@Jasper.... yes.. I admit I am a BIG WUSS when it comes to cold.

@Rez.... that video was okay... until I saw the rattle snake.. LOL

Well, one good thing about it being cold is that I can stay inside and work on the family tree. I love genealogy.

Ya'll stay warm and watch out for those abominable snow men.... LOL

Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
@Rez.... that video was okay... until I saw the rattle snake.. LOL
Awww, that's nothin'. Here's about half my trophies:

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

I think the total as of last summer was 59. Neighbor about 2 miles down the way says I'm barely getting started; he kills about 200 a month.

Quote:
Well, one good thing about it being cold is that I can stay inside and work on the family tree. I love genealogy.
Oooh, me too. Which resources do you use?

Fella who does it serious-like looked mine up once. Turns out grandma on my dad's side was wrong... her hubby wasn't English, Scot, and Irish, but mostly Welsh with a little English, Scot, and Irish (well, that explains why I "think like a Welshman"). And, 6 generations removed, I'm an heir to a Welsh castle! Which startled the genealogist fella, cuz he's another heir to the same castle... 7 generations removed. Whoever coughs up a million pounds in back taxes first... it's YOURS!

My mom's side is all Norwegian, and has been traced all the way back to King Harald the Great. Which ain't as cool as it sounds, cuz ALL Norwegian pedigrees trace to Harald the Great. He really got around!

Quote:
Ya'll stay warm and watch out for those abominable snow men.... LOL
By amazing coincidence, I just edited a story for a friend... love story where the boyfriend was a Bigfoot!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 AM

225 posts, read 246,585 times
@Rez...
My mom got me a subscription to Ancestry.com. I also google a lot, use Find A Grave...
Familysearch.org, RootsWeb... I try to use as much as possible.
I will go off on wild goose chases and sometimes I end up finding that ugly ducking!
All of mine is done via internet.. and a LOT of the work has already been done by someone else. Bless them for all their hard work!! Or someone will throw up a family tree and not realize that they may have just put up the missing puzzle piece.
I have spent countless hours going through trees and such and making connections that people dont realize were connections. I have also found MAJOR screw ups as well. Once I saw where someone had put up a tree and the mother was 100 years YOUNGER than the daughter. I'm like WTH! dont people read??

I also contacted a man to let him know that the tree he put up had an error. He had my grandfather's 2nd wife listed as his first and had her as being the mother of my mom and my father's first name was wrong.
Grand father's 1st wife was listed as the 2nd wife and the mother of my mom's 3 half siblings. When I informed him of his mistake he got really snippy with me and informed me that he was a REAL genealogist and had xx amount of years experience blah blah..and I was just a misinformed inexperienced wanna be.
I told him.. ok maybe so... but at least I know who my parents and grandparents are and it darn sure isnt the ones you have listed!
That was about 15 yrs ago when I first started out. The man sent me an email about 10 yrs ago (my email has been the same for over 15 yrs) asking if I was still out there and if I had more information that I would like to forward to him!
I'm like ummm NO!.. not after his attitude last time. I never answered his email. LOL

My Father's side from Peter Kieffer.. Immigrated from Germany aboard ship Robert & Alice in 1738.
His last name was Americanized to Cooper but he signed his will Peter Kieffer.
His son Adam was baptized as Adam Kieffer..(Thats my line) but the COOPER surname is what was handed down.

Mom's side.. Bennetts.. (Quakers) go all the way back to England

My parents were also cousins so some of the history is the same for both sides..lol

We also have some Allen's,(Dont know where they come from) Cantrell's, (Go all the way back to England.... LOTS of Cantrell's as they multiplied like rabbits)
We have some McBrides..... dont know where they come from.
My ex (deceased hubby) Arrowood...I found out we were related!
something like.. his 5th GGrandparents are my 6th GGrandparents...or 6th and 7th.. LOL
For folks not to have planes, trains, and automobiles... they sure managed to move around a lot!
and those that stayed put ended up marrying their cousins!

But its so interesting!!
Ok sorry.. but I do love genealogy. Haven't found any castles or gold mines ... YET..

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,598,898 times
Quote:
My parents were also cousins so some of the history is the same for both sides..lol
For folks not to have planes, trains, and automobiles... they sure managed to move around a lot!
and those that stayed put ended up marrying their cousins!

This reminds me of a series of post on this thread about a couple of "Cousins" that kept trying to sneak onto The "Visiting Porch" a couple of years ago. They were very handsome fellows indeed !

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-22-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Fix the quote marks.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM

448 posts, read 921,837 times
Ouch, that's opening the door to lots of jokes, which reminds me....
Good am all! Been busy redoing my kitchen. Not a big remodel, just took out an island and added a pantry. Now to paint and I'm done. My old body can't take much anymore. Talk to ya guys later!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM

4,921 posts, read 5,809,471 times
I am not sure the board could handle another round of the "Cousins"

MaBonnema, funny you should mention geni..gena.. family trees.

My nephew has a school project about when families moved to the US, so he asked at my mother's birthday supper last Saturday evening. I think he got more than he bargained for as we were able to tell him the names and dates for family back to the Revolution, on both my Father's and Mother's sides, (his grandparents).

I decided to look a little deeper into one of my ancestors, Daniel Webster and found that that line of the family first came to this country in 1636, and that Daniel's father, Ebenezer, (yeah that is his real name ) fought in the French and Indian wars as one of Roger's Rangers, attaining the rank of Captain , and then went on to raise his own militia and fight in the Revolution.

I found out that Daniel had 5 children, 2 died during childhood, but 2 sons, Daniel Fletcher Webster, Colonel, USA died at the second battle of Bull Run, DEATH OF COL. FLETCHER WEBSTER. - NYTimes.com Fletcher Webster | Ask.com Encyclopedia
The other, Edward Webster was a Major in the US Army and fought and died while surving during the Mexican American war.
My mother's family was directly decendent of Fletcher Webster.

My Father's family, (so far anyway) came to the US prior to the Revolution from Huntington, Huntingtonshire, England, Oliver Cromwell's hometown, I guess my dislike of government goes waaaay back
Cromwell was the guy that took down the British Monarchy, beheaded Charles the King of England, and kicked the snot out of the Scotish and Irish.
Historical Biography: Oliver Cromwell

This stuff is addicting!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM

448 posts, read 921,837 times
Mtsilvertip, you're getting me interested again! I had joined ancestry way back but then ran into fees for this info and fees for that info and next your credit card is going up. It is fun to learn about your family.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,312,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
This reminds me of a series of post on this thread about a couple of "Cousins" that kept trying to sneak onto The "Visiting Porch" a couple of years ago. They were very handsome fellows indeed !
Yup. Remember them well. Good-looking dudes! And such good manners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana