U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,611,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Siamese Twins joined at the tail.

My computer crashed and I had to completely restore. I'm stuck in IE 6.0 and it won't let me upgrade. IE 6.0 can't upload, or the problem I have won't let me upload, so I sent the pics to Rez and asked if he'd kindly upload.

Thanks Rez!
Welcome

Now as to that nasty IE thing... why not download and install a civilized browser instead?

SeaMonkey: Download & Releases

Use one of the older (1.1.x) versions for Win98/2K. I think you need WinXP for v2.x, check the Release Notes.

Regardless, next step is to download and install Prefbar:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/67148/
(this is the only addon I need or use)

When I can't use my beloved (and ancient) Netscape 3, this is the next best choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,913,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The first European to set foot on American soil, Luis de Torres, who sailed with Columbus in 1492,
I do not believe this to be true. I believe that the Vikings made several journeys several hundred years before Columbus and even made forays into the interior. There are supposed to be Viking artifacts and mounds in some mid-western and semi southern states as well as up north.
There is also evidence that they brought at least one American Indian woman back to Norway who apparently had four female children who eventually introduced American Indian DNA into at least 350 modern Norwegian folks tested. They apparently along with family history records believe that this DNA came from that one woman brought back.
I think I got that tidbit either from New Scientist or Discovery. The history books we had in school back in the day were missing some info it would seem.
But what do I know I ditched school most of the time anyway. Surfing was mo funna. ~♥~

Oh by the way my little parrot gets her cage covered at night with the same replica striped Indian trader blanket that was my first blanket when I graduated from a crib to a child's bed.
How many of ya all still have your first blanket ? ~♥~

Another tidbit, if you do a web search for common names of folks, you can easily find a Mormon website that lists names along with the birth and death dates of thousands of deceased people along with their social security numbers. Hmmmmm.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I do not believe this to be true. I believe that the Vikings made several journeys several hundred years before Columbus and even made forays into the interior. There are supposed to be Viking artifacts and mounds in some mid-western and semi southern states as well as up north.
There is also evidence that they brought at least one American Indian woman back to Norway who apparently had four female children who eventually introduced American Indian DNA into at least 350 modern Norwegian folks tested. They apparently along with family history records believe that this DNA came from that one woman brought back.
I imagine Walter meant in the Columbus era, since there hadn't been continuous European presence in several hundred years. Yes, the Vikings were documented in NE Canada ca.1000 A.D., and there's some (debatable) evidence they got as far inland as Minnesota. Wouldn't be a big surprise that they brought Indian women back to Norway; they regularly brought Moorish women from southern Europe. My granddad was a "black" (dark-haired) Norwegian, due to some of this imported ancestry waaaaaaaaaaaay back there.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 AM

This is funny -- someone used bears to guard their pot-grow operation:
CBC News - British Columbia - Bears guarded B.C. grow-op: RCMP

Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 AM

9,341 posts, read 25,505,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I hadn't heard the term "Near East" in quite a while! Seems to have been subsumed into "Middle East", which used to refer to more the neighbourhood of Pakistan and Persia.
The Near East got pushed into the Mediterranean (tectonic shift I guess?).

Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 AM

9,341 posts, read 25,505,736 times
Quote:
I imagine Walter meant in the Columbus era, since there hadn't been continuous European presence in several hundred years.
Thank you.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Near East got pushed into the Mediterranean (tectonic shift I guess?).
I think you may be right... or maybe it was Teutonic shift??

Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM

451 posts, read 848,567 times
Quote:
My granddad was a "black" (dark-haired) Norwegian, due to some of this imported ancestry waaaaaaaaaaaay back there.
Hmmmmmmmm Black Norwegian? Sounds tasty....

Wonder if that's anything like a Black Russian? Yummmmmm.

mg

Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM

4,921 posts, read 5,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
You are right about it not being an albino because of the dark eye but it is not a hybrid factory farm type bird. These are wild, not feral. The white turkeys here are natural mutants or at least I was told so. I could be wrong but these can be found all over the states.
Sorry to argue, but the modern white turkey was developed for a specific reason;
Quote" The turkeys have white feathers so that no dark spots are left on the skin when theY are plucked."

TURKEY FARMS (photos of domestic turkeys)

Lots of resources for research on the subject are available including from the industry.

TURKEY FACTS (history,information, wild and domestic turkeys,links)

(I didn't know Big Bird from sesame street's costume was made from white turkey feathers )

The original coloring of the turkey is closer to the modern Bronze turkey, but not exact as the Bronze was actually bred for the beautifully colored feathers in the early part of the 20th century when the birds were sold in butcher shops whole. The brightly colored feathers looked really nice on the birds in the windows. The white turkeys started in the 1940s when whole unplucked birds were not sold anymore and the processed birds were sold.
The white birds don't have any pigment in the feathers to avoid blemishes on the carcass.

The wild turkey remaining today is basically the same bird the first indians who used them for meat and semi-domesticated them, which included the Missisipian cultures in the midwest as well as the Aztec, Hopi, Zuni and other desert tribes.

The varieties that remain today are the Merriums in Montana, the Eastern in the midwest and Eastern United States, the Oceola in Florida and the Rio Grande in the southwest.

Basically they are a brown feathered bird with some white and or redish or bronze highlights, and a bald or non feathered head.

A couple of species have gone extinct, and the remaining wild stocks are closer related than the originals, but they are still basically the same bird.

Domestic turkeys have been bred so large and for certain characteristics such as large breasts and more white meat, that they are as much reflective of wild turkeys as cows resemble Aurochs or Buffalo.

Lots of domestic white birds escape or are let loose and can do pretty well in the wild, they just have problems reproducing. They are feral as a white bird in the wild wouldn't have camoflage and would be easy pickings for a predator, which is why they developed their brown mottled coloring.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Hmmmmmmmm Black Norwegian? Sounds tasty....

Wonder if that's anything like a Black Russian? Yummmmmm.
Not sure I want to eat at your house [Ick, coffee, hack, ptui!!]

In the post-Roman era in northern Europe, referring to a person as 'black' meant black-haired, not black-skinned. So you'll see references like "Robert the Black" and "black Irish" which merely mean black-haired (usually with brown eyes) -- not the usual for the Celtic peoples which tended to be blue-eyed with blond or light brown hair. Same as an appellation like "Eric the Red" meant red-haired or red-bearded, not red Indian.

Rez's daffynitions: Red Indian: someone who can't decide if he's from Cleveland or Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana