U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 AM

11,861 posts, read 15,514,458 times

Advertisements

It's the Lords way of telling us to clean our homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,608,126 times
That's to make sure you don't run off and forget to come back for work on Monday. Who knows how far away you'd get if the snow and rain didn't make it too difficult.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM

4,919 posts, read 5,805,760 times
I told the boss I was too sick to work today, terminal case of Spring Fever.

They didn't buy it, so here I am, looking at the sunshine from my work station

Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM

11,861 posts, read 15,514,458 times
Wow- you have a window. I do not

Maybe it's better this way though.. I won't feel the urge to jump.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM

It's a double edged sword alright, I can watch the blizzards and be glad I'm not in it, but when you have the rare nice day, you are temped all day long with being out there in it!

My window is only on a second floor, so I would probably survive the fall.......

Escape opportunity??????

Nah, dang thing doesn't open far enough to get through

Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM

You don't keep a brick at your desk, just for such emergencies??!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow- you have a window. I do not

Maybe it's better this way though.. I won't feel the urge to jump.
the only time I ever had an office with a window, I was on the first floor. It would have been nice to open the window and at least get some fresh air, however, the sprinkler system had a bad head and it was always squirting on my window making me think I had an office in a hurricane. Darn sprinkler made the humidity terrible in my office.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Well, I do have 1/2 a window, (it's shared with the next station), and I am on the west side of the building, (the side that gets most of the wind and sun in the summer so very hot!!).
In the winter the wind drives cold air through, (and sometimes fine snow crystals), in the summer, I have a layer of dust all over everything, especially now since they haven't swept the sand off of the streets.

The main thing I get to look at is the big dead tree that looks to fall through the wall during every windstorm

Yeah, it's nice to have, but it has it's drawbacks too.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,271 times
Default Kind of a"catch-all-post.......................

Effects of this past winter's snowfall here in the Bitterroot:
.....At my particular location, I had more snowfall than I've had since the winter of 1996-97.........thus resulting in more moisture retention in the ground around my place. As of a couple of days ago, I was told by one of the guys with the F&G Dept., that at one of the recording locations in the Bitterroot mountains west of my location, 180% of the average for the last 30 yrs was recorded!!! I'm hoping that with (this much greater moisture in the ground) and the forth coming warmer weather & temps, I'll have a good "crop" of the wild asparagus, choke-cherries and volunteer rhubarb that are on my place. Having Fred Burr Creek on the place is a wonderful God-given advantage.......it sure draws the wildlife and the birds.

Wildlife surprises:

.....Just about 10 days ago, I had (5) Spike Bull Elk come through about 75 yards from the house and hung around for about 45minutes grazing on the new spring grasses... What surprised me was that all five still had their antlers....I'm thinking that the severe winter may have had some effect on them "dropping" their antlers about 3 weeks later that normal.

And last, Thanks to those that agree with MtSilvertip, Elk and me regarding our feelings concerning "growth in general, development in areas that were wildlife habitat, industry moving in from out-of-state AND moving(and transferring) THEIR people in from out of state, and limit the damaging effect of out-of-state influence, money, political connections etc,etc" ........... As previously stated, I witnessed it happen in CO (just check the population increases alone in places like Boulder & Boulder County, Denver, Ft Collins and Colo Springs) , and it is happening here-----but at a slower pace. On a scale of 10, IMHO we are at a "4 or 5" right now.

To those who do not agree..................you are welcome to your opinion(s)............and if you are wondering about me being a transplant from Colorado almost 40 years ago: consider the following:.....
.....I bought (on contract through a local bank) 14 ac that WERE NOT being used in ANY agricultural operation.
.....I bought ALL my building materials from local sources.
..... ALL the people that I hired (subcontractors) to help build my house were from the Bitterroot and/or immediate area.
.....I rented local housing to live in while I built my home.
.....The only "thing" of value (other than our personal effects & household items) that I brought from CO was 1 of 3 horses we had in CO.,...a 20 yr old mare that ended up living to age 32.....and I hired a LOCAL fenceing man (from Stevi) to fence my land with 4100 feet of 5 strand SMOOTH wire, to protect my horse and the local wildlife.
.... I went back to work (after 11 months) with the same (out-of-state), company that I worked for previously. My job entailed traveling throughout the Rocky Mt west, AK, & BC, working with various companies on projects in the mining, timber & power industries...........I mention these details so that it is obvious that I DID NOT TAKE A JOB FROM SOME MONTANA RESIDENT.

Thus I feel that my move to Montana was (and still is) of benefit to the local economy and to Ravalli County in general.

...........Your mileage may vary!!

Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Two nights ago I heard a single critter howling, over across the river from Clarkston and somewhat to the north.
It was not a coyote.
There are no dogs over there, nor much of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....I bought (on contract through a local bank) 14 ac that WERE NOT being used in ANY agricultural operation.
There's a lot here I'd like to have (and the owner wants to sell it), that's a defunct gravel pit. It would be great for the kennel and for dog training. It's not much good for anything else. The problem? Getting approval to use this otherwise-useless ground for anything at all, cuz first it needs approval from something like nine different state and federal environmental agencies. (One of which already tried to tell the owner that he could not fill in the ditch he dug, because now it's "wetlands".)

Now, wouldn't it be better to repurpose this gravel pit than to use up better ground for the same function? You'd think??

Hey, when do the speed goats usually lose their horns? most of 'em are now hatless, but couple days ago I saw one that still had a full rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana